• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Why do you still watch Cartoons/ kid shows?

Don't watch lots of cartoons. But, if there's a superhero cartoon of any kind- definitely count me in. Going to be slightly awkward watching the new Fantastic Four cartoon in my dorm room at college this year, so thank god I'm not the only 18/19 year old that still watches cartoons. Also, Buzz Lighter of Star Command- caught it the other day, and I'm a kid again. And I love alot of animation films, one thing to notice- at most CGI movies the adults laugh more than the children. With CGI films, some jokes are really clever- I really love the "everything is about food" joke in 'Over the Hedge'.

I think older teens and adults love cartoon and CGI, sometimes more than the kids, is that we can't grow up. We're Peter Pan trapped in a body that is ever aging- but we will never grow up, never.

I used to watch a lot of cartoons, but some of the cartoons that's coming out nowadays seem stupid to me. SOmetimes, I'd rather be watching Sesame Street than seeing a strange puppet such as Fash.

http://drums.heyfash.com
http://sunscreen.heyfash.com

These clips seem so weird to me because this dude cannot talk or emote much of anything except touch stuff. I guess the strings can only do so much. But why have strings at all?

Um, becuase they're entertaining? I don't watch little kid cartoons though (Dora The Explorer, Rugrats, etc.)

Dora the Explorer and Rugrats aren't comperable at all. Anyway, people are still forgeting......

cast.jpg

Jess said:
Often some animated programs have better storylines, character development and aall around better quality than a lot. Like regular t.v. is all relaity and junk. I dont watch a lot in general, but I do buy lots of older toons on DVD (Batman: TAS, X-Men: Evolution, Garfield and Friends etc.) But right now all I really watch is TMNT. Family Guy, and occasionally I'll catch an episode of Justice League. I am just usually out when it first airs.

you definetly hit it on the head. this is also why i rather watch animated shows than live action.

Why wouldn't I watch cartoons? They aren't just for kids.

I watch all kinds of cartoons, except of course the ones for very little kids like Dora the Explorer, Handy Mandy, etc. My most favorite cartoons are Futurama and Spongebob Squarepants.

Actually, many don't consider JL or JLU or BTAS as "kid shows". They probably have more adult fans than they do kids.

I personally still get a kick out Power Rangers nowadays, because hey, it's a superhero show to me. :woot:

And SpongeBob, old school Nicktoons (Rocko anyone?). It's all good.

Thank God for Boomerang and Toon Disney.

Animation allows for a loser to completely lose themself within a story without having an actor's portrayal or being limited by a budget or the special effects of an era.

it also has the ability to show a level of violence in a fight that is unparalleled and also to cover a scope that is hard to recreate in the real world.

The stories can be even more mature than in most adult programmes, you only have to look at the politican issues wrapped around gundam wing to realise that although animated, it is not really a children's show.

for me it offers total escapism and a level of violence that is hard to replicate (this of course is in shows that can handle it, there are of course shows that cannot).

As for old ones, it's nostalgia but nostalgia can really come from anything.

anywho, in this day and age, I don't think simply clumping everything together as cartoons is a decent idea considering if we take anime into consideration there are cartoons for the majority of age and sex demographics covering most aspects of life and storytelling.

the question is just as broad as asking 'Why do we watch television and movies?' in my eyes.

I watch lots of cartoons and kids' shows for different reasons, much like I watch more mature dramas, comedies, sitcoms, etc. for different reasons. I watch Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends because it boasts some engaging characters and some genuinely witty comedy. I watch Power Rangers partly for the sheer kitschiness of it and partly because it's interesting to see how it keeps evolving, from a cheap veil for recycled sentai footage to a full-scale production with special effects that are almost on par with some decent shows for older audiences. The best of the lot these days is definitely TMNT, though. I watch that for exactly the same reasons I watch any "mature" TV show: great characterization, great stories, engaging arcs that range from a few episodes to entire seasons, and a strong sense of history and the Turtles' Mirage roots. Granted, the dialog can be a bit grating at times, but overall it's pretty good.

Well one great thing about cartoons is what the creator can do isn't bound by physics.

I think I still watch cartoons because I grew up on them(yeah I'm about to show my age on this one...)
I grew up watching the old Saturday Morning Cartoons,as well as the "mid-day" cartoons on the local "UHF" channels.
Shows like H.R.Puffnstuf/Superfriends/Spider-Man(as well as SM&amazing friends)/Land of the Lost/Shazam&Isis superhour/Superfriends powerhour/Scooby-Doo(even though I stopped when Scrappy came along)Banana Splits laugh hour/Flintstones/Jetsons/Tom&Jerry...the list could go on&on.
I watch them now with my son,and while I can't stand the "anime" look of most cartoons nowadays,I'll at least give them a try and make judgement after I've watched at least one episode.
Teen Titans and FF cartoons are like this,but to tell you the truth I cant stand them.NOT,because of the anime thing,but also because I think the stories are crap as well.

I dont watch television much really.But when i do,i see American shows.Cartoons are also there,i make a point to watch a decent amount.

TheCorpulent1 said:
I watch lots of cartoons and kids' shows for different reasons, much like I watch more mature dramas, comedies, sitcoms, etc. for different reasons. I watch Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends because it boasts some engaging characters and some genuinely witty comedy. I watch Power Rangers partly for the sheer kitschiness of it and partly because it's interesting to see how it keeps evolving, from a cheap veil for recycled sentai footage to a full-scale production with special effects that are almost on par with some decent shows for older audiences. The best of the lot these days is definitely TMNT, though. I watch that for exactly the same reasons I watch any "mature" TV show: great characterization, great stories, engaging arcs that range from a few episodes to entire seasons, and a strong sense of history and the Turtles' Mirage roots. Granted, the dialog can be a bit grating at times, but overall it's pretty good.

Hell yeah

If I watch a comedic cartoon (70% of all cartoons) then I'm doing it because it makes me a lot more happier than live action shows, if I'm watching a serious cartoon then it's because I find them superior to a lot, if not most, live action shows.

And I'm just used to watching them.

I love cartoons! Especiall on the Boomerang channel. I'm sitting around channel surfing and boom, Centurions appeared and I'm so shocked, I barely even noticed when Captian Planet started. Don't even get me started on looney toons.

Well how else could I see comic book characters in motion on a weekly basis?

Erundur said:
recently (before winterbreak) my Gov't class had a class conversation on why most adults and older teenagers still watch cartoons (i have to idea as to how this convo came about but meh, it ate up time till class ended), is it because we're trying to hold onto our childhood or is it because of some kind of psychological factor or something?, personally i'm just use to watching them.
It's probably a psychological need to remember a vaguely happier time, or at least a simpler time.

I'm still waiting for those Warner Brother bastards to put Tiny Toons on DVD. At the tender age of 7 that was far & away one of my favorite shows.

Erundur said:
recently (before winterbreak) my Gov't class had a class conversation on why most adults and older teenagers still watch cartoons (i have to idea as to how this convo came about but meh, it ate up time till class ended), is it because we're trying to hold onto our childhood or is it because of some kind of psychological factor or something?, personally i'm just use to watching them.
Aside from Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, My Name is Earl, Law and Order, Countdown with Keith Olbermann, and sports, there aren't that many non-animated shows that interest me enough to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"