Supergirl Why doesn't Superman help Supergirl with the really big problems?

Spirit

Civilian
Reaction score
This question comes up in every episode thread and it's becoming wearisome for those of us who don't care. Therefore, I humbly request that all answers to this question, and all arguments thereof, take place in this thread. Thank you! :)

I have been preaching this for a while. You have possibly a dozen Kryptonian criminals running around. Yet, it's Supergirl's problem.

While I am all for Supergirl going to the Fortress of Solitude. It would have been cooler if she asked Clark for help and he told her to go to there.

Ok really when you look at it. Ultimately W3 haven had a it's the end of the world and superman is a no show ue5. So far really the fights and issues kara has faced she doesn't need superman to save her and what not. Now yes if we get to that point and still no superman I be pissed off. But like I brought up in some threads. We don't even know what clark is dealing with on a daily basis. So he could be dealing with his own big threat we don't know about. Plus also kara has made point to clark she wants to handle things on her own.

The show should say that some of the Fort Rozz criminals are causing trouble in Metropolis. If instead of 12-20 kryptonians being Kara's problem if half were Clark's problem then the problem would be solved

This is what I call 'The Problem of Superman', when thinking about the show. It really has no good in-story justification. Its just an artifact of the writers deciding to keep Superman right off-stage, proverbially, rather than either using him on-screen in a logical manner or giving him a good reason to be fully absent. I have no idea why they chose this route. I mean, the fact that they don't actually use Superman is probably executive mandate, with the few blur appearances and text messages being all they are allowed. However, I doubt the studio told them they *had* to keep Superman just off screen, rather than, say. . . "off in the space, missing".

again looking at all we have seen so far. FRom non attacks to the few metas we have seen it really hasnt been a oh no we need to call superman to save the day moment yet. Now yes they do have the big elephant in the room with we having superman in the world and we not seeing him. But still it hasnt come to its the end of the world and he isnt there deal yet.

This is what I call 'The Problem of Superman', when thinking about the show. It really has no good in-story justification. Its just an artifact of the writers deciding to keep Superman right off-stage, proverbially, rather than either using him on-screen in a logical manner or giving him a good reason to be fully absent. I have no idea why they chose this route. I mean, the fact that they don't actually use Superman is probably executive mandate, with the few blur appearances and text messages being all they are allowed. However, I doubt the studio told them they *had* to keep Superman just off screen, rather than, say. . . "off in the space, missing".

It's not just the problem of Superman though, it's the problem of all superheroes and it happens in the comics all the time. Let's not forget aswell he could be dealing with his own problems. I don't think they need to explain it.

Honestly it doesn't bother me at all, I just look at it the same way it is in the comics.

I do not believe that Superman came to Supergirl's rescue or helped her in every single issue of her comics, therefore why would he in a live action. I think the one time he came in was definitely necessary, and it pushed Kara to not only expect others to have faith in her, but for her to have faith in herself....which IMO is how the story should be told. Doesn't bother me in the least that Superman is not there to help out, she has plenty, and has realized that the people in her life are important, that is very cool to watch.

This is why I keep saying that this show would have been better off had they gone with the Premise of Superman going MIA from a mission/rescue gone bad. If they had gone with that route, they wouldn't have this issue looming over the show for people to bring up.

Plus, it would actually make remarks on how Supergirl is humanity's last hope against alien threats more credible.

Which is another thing, I don't know why everyone views Supergirl as humanity's one and only hope against alien threats when Superman's around.

If they had gone with the approach of him being presumed dead or missing, then it would make more sense. Plus, with that route, they could keep Superman off the shelf until the show's producers finally gained permission to use the character.

If they had gone with the approach of him being presumed dead or missing, then it would make more sense. Plus, with that route, they could keep Superman off the shelf until the show's producers finally gained permission to use the character.

I largely agree, except for the last part. Having waited literally decades for Supergirl to be taken seriously as a character, I'm not so keen to see her currency devalued by bringing in her cousin, at any point.

The show would have probably have been stronger if it had never acknowledged the existence of Kal-El to begin with. It should have been bold enough to make Kara Zor-El the only Kryptonian hero on Earth, from the start. As it is, Superman's presence casts a long shadow over the show: people keep asking why he never turns up, and there's this constant nagging doubt that the titular character -- Supergirl -- is actually second best in her own series!!

In another place I suggested that in season two the producers be bold and do a reverse Crisis on Infinite Earths -- kill off Superman!! (in this Supergirl universe.) All hell broke loose. :yay: Within the context of a Supergirl series, however, I'd argue it makes sense.

• First, it (very permanently!) explains why he never shows up.
  • Second, it promotes Supergirl into the #1 spot as Earth's defender, out of the shadow of Superman, and suggests a lot of interesting storylines about whether/how Kara can shoulder that sudden burden, having only just learned how to be a superhero herself.
  • Third, it asks interesting questions about scene 1 episode 1: Kara's promises to her mother. Is Kara still responsible for Kal-El even as an adult, and even after the switch in circumstance caused by the Phantom Zone? Lot's of emotionally rich possibilities there.
  • Fourth: Ratings! Killing off Superman would set social media alight and might even get a few newspaper headlines.
YES... I know it's a radical solution, but Superman offers nothing to the Supergirl series as it has been structured by the EPs -- he can't show up in any serious way without devaluing Supergirl, so he just lingers unseen in the air, like a bad smell.

It is kinda weird. In 1985 DC Comics killed off Supergirl because they thought that her existence devalued the specialness and uniqueness of Superman. In the same way, I'm suggesting that Superman's existence dilutes the specialness of Kara Zor-El in the Supergirl tv show. It is odd that when one suggests killing off the female to boost the value of the male, fans accept this -- but when one suggests killing off the male to boost the value of the female... fans react. :yay:

But don't worry -- the writers haven't got the guts to do anything so radical. :cwink: Superman is safe, no matter what I might think..!! :yay:

R5

The show should say that some of the Fort Rozz criminals are causing trouble in Metropolis. If instead of 12-20 kryptonians being Kara's problem if half were Clark's problem then the problem would be solved

vou have a point

i would have liked the missing/dead route so they could have worked out in time to bring him back or what not. But still again i dont see it being bad he is on the earth with her. Again we dont know the stuff he is dealing with day in and day out. Plus like i said before really look at everything kara has faced and it hasnt been oh we really need superman here to save us all yet. And also the one time he did save kara she told him to back off from it.

Heck take flash and arrow for example they are dealing with there own threats at the moment with zoom and dark and they are not needing help from each other every week.

i would have liked the missing/dead route so they could have worked out in time to bring him back or what not. But still again i dont see it being bad he is on the earth with her. Again we dont know the stuff he is dealing with day in and day out. Plus like i said before really look at everything kara has faced and it hasnt been oh we really need superman here to save us all yet. And also the one time he did save kara she told him to back off from it.

Heck take flash and arrow for example they are dealing with there own threats at the moment with zoom and dark and they are not needing help from each other every week.

Yeah, as I said before, as far as the comics it just isn't that big of a deal. In the cartoons or otherwise, I've just never heard people say, "hey....I wonder why Superman didn't bring Supergirl in to help him out."

Most of the Avengers have had their own movies, I never heard anyone saying "Why doesn't "so and so" call in "so and so" to help?" I just don't get it I guess...

I'm glad they didn't do the "he's off planet" or "he's dead" excuse, it always bugged me in the Supergirl movie that he was off planet. For me the way they're doing it is fine, it's fine in the comics or animated shows so why should it matter here?

I understand that, in the comics, there are several situations where heroes simply choose not to call for backup, despite facing overwhelming odds.

However, I also remember that protagonists/heroes would also call upon for help if the situation escalated into one that threatened the entire globe/universe.

And even with the Marvel Films, at least they've tailored most of the situations in ways where you could believably buy on why some of main heroes didn't call upon for help from their other Avengers.

In "Supergirl's" case, it's really puzzling on how they keep breaking the rules that they've established in their universe. Superman is an established hero who's available to call if needed (story wise). Yes, they've established that Supergirl wants to fight her own battles but if there's a situation when the entire world is at stake, it doesn't make sense that Supergirl would be the only one on the case.

What makes it more irritating is that every other character treats Supergirl as the world's ONE & ONLY hope against all Alien threats, conveniently forgetting that Superman even exists.

For me, that's just lazy ignorance which makes it hard to take the stakes serious and credible.

I'm not saying that superman should come in and save the day for Kara, but they should have found a better way to address on why Superman isn't even considered as a factor in situations when the World is at stake. They don't even bother in saying that Superman has his own issues to worry about that are just as big.

the absence of Superman is still an issue I have with the show. however, at this point, I've just come to accept it as part of the show.

I'm not saying that Superman has to jump in and rescue Kara. but Clark should be there talking to Kara giving her advice, not James. Clark should be the one taking Kara to the FOS, not James.

Indeed, I honestly feel that for this show, they should have just had Kara replace Clark entirely. So, there is no Clark/Superman. Kara is the last survivor of Krypton who crashed to Earth and was raised by a human family.

the absence of Superman is still an issue I have with the show. however, at this point, I've just come to accept it as part of the show.

I'm not saying that Superman has to jump in and rescue Kara. but Clark should be there talking to Kara giving her advice, not James. Clark should be the one taking Kara to the FOS, not James.

Indeed, I honestly feel that for this show, they should have just had Kara replace Clark entirely. So, there is no Clark/Superman. Kara is the last survivor of Krypton who crashed to Earth and was raised by a human family.

If anything, they could have established that the wormhole in which her spaceship was sucked into actually led her to a different Earth since we've obviously established the concept of the multi-verse here, one where Superman didn't land on the planet.

After reading your posts, I do see your points. I remember when the show was announced as I wanted it in the Flash-Arrow universe I actually thought it would have been a good idea to basically have it be Kara that got rocketed to earth instead of Kal but given the multiverse option that kind of negated that idea for me.

I guess maybe they could have a line or two, Kara saying she can't get hold of her cousin or the Kryptonians saying that they have sent Kal El into space after someone else as they distract him. There are options there I suppose. I do think they go out their way at times to make it seem like Kara doesn't need Superman and for me at times it doesn't work. I remember in Solitude when Jimmy said that Kara was faster than Kal which I actually think might have had more to do with Kal been a little slower when he's flying people.

I guess for me though, him not been there just doesn't really bother me cause that's the way these things happen in the comics. Infact if say there's more reason to complain in the comics sometimes when we know JLA member have devices they can contact other JL member on. Here though I see it as she doesn't run to her cousin everytime she needs help. I also think that the episode when he saved her and promised he wouldn't interfere again was supposed to explain that away. Even if it is kind of shoddy.

Like I have said. I am not for calling Superman whenever you fight a bad guy. But, when you are fighting at least a dozen Kryptonian criminals and they are threatening to destroy a city. Superman and other heroes (if they are around) need to be called.

Like I have said. I am not for calling Superman whenever you fight a bad guy. But, when you are fighting at least a dozen Kryptonian criminals and they are threatening to destroy a city. Superman and other heroes (if they are around) need to be called.

They were all around for 12 years with just Superman, he didn't have anyone to call...it has been said that he wasn't/nor would work with the DEO, he survived without them.

Supergirl with the group she has to help her will survive just fine without him...

I understand completely where the OP is coming from. It's a problem for me anytime a universe establishes that there are multiple heroes & a super group exciting within a universe that they aren't called or around when one of them looks like they could use some help with something.

If anything, they could have established that the wormhole in which her spaceship was sucked into actually led her to a different Earth since we've obviously established the concept of the multi-verse here, one where Superman didn't land on the planet.

yeah. they could have done something like that, too.

also Clark Kent has his OWN obligations

They were all around for 12 years with just Superman, he didn't have anyone to call...it has been said that he wasn't/nor would work with the DEO, he survived without them.

Supergirl with the group she has to help her will survive just fine without him...

Normally, I would agree with you. Just fighting Indigo or Livewire or whomever. Fine. But, you are not talking about a villain or two. You are talking a dozen Kryptonian "military trained" prisoners. If Superman was going against them and didn't call Supergirl and the DEO (ie-Martian Manhunter). I would be questioning it also.

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe that people would be questioning Superman in this way, just don't believe it. Don't believe it for a second...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"