Supergirl Why doesn't Superman help Supergirl with the really big problems?

I don't mind Supergirl working alone but it would be nice to see a news story along the lines of "Superman saves Metropolis from Brainiac" or something just to show that he stays busy.

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe that people would be questioning Superman in this way, just don't believe it. Don't believe it for a second...

Why would they know? He's a senior hero, Kara is by all accounts a rookie.

I'm on your side that it's not an issue but Superman is a whole different league to his cousin.

I don't mind Supergirl working alone but it would be nice to see a news story along the lines of "Superman saves Metropolis from Brainiac" or something just to show that he stays busy.

You would see that IF you were in Metropolis....but Cat is not going to publish much other than what belongs exclusively to her, and she thinks Supergirl belongs to her...lol

You would see that IF you were in Metropolis....but Cat is not going to publish much other than what belongs exclusively to her, and she thinks Supergirl belongs to her...lol

That doesn't make sense to me. I don't live in New York City but if something big happens there I'll hear about it in the news. If Superman was stopping alien invasions or giant monsters, wouldn't that make some headlines nationwide?

Well we do have all those other news feeds in cat office. You could easily see a report or even a ticker scroll make some mention of superman just stopped a fire or fighting ....... more news later things.

I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm saying that is Cat's thinking....lol

Well we do have all those other news feeds in cat office. You could easily see a report or even a ticker scroll make some mention of superman just stopped a fire or fighting ....... more news later things.

Exactly. Doesn't have to be a showstopping moment, just something small to add depth to the show.

Yeah, as I said before, as far as the comics it just isn't that big of a deal. In the cartoons or otherwise, I've just never heard people say, "hey....I wonder why Superman didn't bring Supergirl in to help him out."

Most of the Avengers have had their own movies, I never heard anyone saying "Why doesn't "so and so" call in "so and so" to help?" I just don't get it I guess...

It's a problem in any universe with multiple superheroes. The issue with Superman is that he's so damn powerful we KNOW he can pretty much be in two places at once. Steve Rogers could call in his pal Tony, but even if he's not dealing with his own stuff it will still take him hours to jet across the country. Flyover states wouldn't be an obstacle with Clark.

And as the saying goes, out of sight out of mind. The Avengers solo features pretty much ignore non cast members, so the audience is willing to buy the fact that the other guys are not available. The references, IMs and the blurry appearance remind us that it makes no sense for Kal to keep his distance during a Kryptonian attack.

As I've said before, Birds of Prey handled this same problem perfectly at the intro - Batman is missing and either dead or gravely wounded. Now let's never bring him up again.

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe that people would be questioning Superman in this way, just don't believe it. Don't believe it for a second...

From the sounds of things on this show, it doesn't even seem like Superman has encountered threats as large as the one that Rogue Kryptonians possess.

So for all we know, Superman (in this version) has never had the need to be in a situation where he could have used some help (even though there wasn't any to begin with during his early career).

Plus, Superman (in the comics) has been known to contact others for help whenever facing threats as large as the one that Kara's seemingly going up against.

My personal opinion, I think in an attempt to give Supergirl importance in this show, the show's producers have gone with the route of giving her larger threats than anything Superman has faced in this show's canon.

I don't know if I agree with that Herolee, after all there were a few trinkets in the Fortress like the Legion ring that makes me think this Superman has been through some stuff. Don't forget how big of a hero everyone on the show knows he is. Also Kara has had to learn to do stuff and been criticised for not doing it as easy as Superman at times.

From the sounds of things on this show, it doesn't even seem like Superman has encountered threats as large as the one that Rogue Kryptonians possess.

So for all we know, Superman (in this version) has never had the need to be in a situation where he could have used some help (even though there wasn't any to begin with during his early career).

Plus, Superman (in the comics) has been known to contact others for help whenever facing threats as large as the one that Kara's seemingly going up against.

My personal opinion, I think in an attempt to give Supergirl importance in this show, the show's producers have gone with the route of giving her larger threats than anything Superman has faced in this show's canon.

I think from the conversations that Kara had with Astra, from what Cat has said, as well as others that have obviously encountered him he has had much to do as a Superhero.

I do however believe that the producers have chosen to allow her to take on her own threats and learn as she goes without his help, which is fine with me.

Thung is really look back to all the episodes kara hasn't faced it's the end of the world and she couldn't stop x threat on her own or with the deo help. Again she only faced a few meta a Rouge robot and non group so far only attacked lord and one other complex. Then the whole right right upfront. So it's not like superman needed to be there for it all.

Are they even allowed to show Superman's face?

Because the show is titled "Supergirl", not "Supergirl and Superman who shows up every now and again".

Are they even allowed to show Superman's face?

Some believe it's a creative choice because that's what they have said but I don't buy it. Producers on these TV shows have lied before about things.

Some believe it's a creative choice because that's what they have said but I don't buy it. Producers on these TV shows have lied before about things.

I also do not think that they are allowed to use him. Much lesser known characters than Superman are not allowed to be used on Arrow. It wouldn't make sense if they were allowed to use Superman, yet much lesser know characters like Deashot and Harley Quinn cannot be used. Personally, I think it is best if they do not mention Superman much on this show. If they keep coming up with excuses for why he cannot show up, eventually it will get ridiculous. Superman has his own life and problems to deal with.

In the end, I hope that Supergirl becomes this universes greatest hero, the same way that Green Arrow and The Flash are their universes greatest heroes. Batman and Superman can be the greatest heroes in the movies. I like Batman and Superman more than Green Arrow, The Flash and Supergirl, but I do not want them to keep being mentioned. Them being in movies is more than enough for me.

Last edited:
Because the show is titled "Supergirl", not "Supergirl and Superman who shows up every now and again".

:funny:

I also do not think that they are allowed to use him. Much lesser known characters than Superman are not allowed to be used on Arrow. It wouldn't make sense if they were allowed to use Superman, yet much lesser know characters like Deashot and Harley Quinn cannot be used. Personally, I think it is best if they do not mention Superman much on this show. If they keep coming up with excuses for why he cannot show up, eventually it will get ridiculous. Superman has his own life and problems to deal with.

In the end, I hope that Supergirl becomes this universes greatest hero, the same way that Green Arrow and The Flash are their universes greatest heroes. Batman and Superman can be the greatest heroes in the movies. I like Batman and Superman more than Green Arrow, The Flash and Supergirl, but I do not want them to keep being mentioned. Them being in movies is more than enough for me.

Yeah although certain characters have been allowed to appear (i.e. Deathstroke who is no longer allowed to appear on Arrow due to movie plans) in the past they aren't now because of the movies. Then there's characters like Hal Jordan and Ted Kord who are not allowed to appear on DCTV. I'm a 100% confident that Supergirl can't use Superman, at least whilst the film is out (but even beyond that I can't see it). That's why we haven't seen him properly, except as baby/child and a blurry figure.

WBs are very particular about who can appear on TV and film. They've been quite clever in some instances like letting the Suicide Squad appear on Arrow first or having the Flash become more well known because of TV. It's allowed these characaters a bit of exposure before they do big screen versions. Although if it works with the Flash remains to be seen.

Not true. The only incarnation where this occurred was Superman 2 and Man of Steel. I am sure if he knew of WW, Flash & the others. He would have called for help. If Supergirl was in the movie-verse. I would have been shocked if Supes didn't call her for backup when he fought Zod & the others.

If Supergirl existed in a world where she was alone then I agree. But, she doesn't. Superman exists. How do you not call for backup when fighting other Kryptonians??

This is not a knock on the show. I enjoy it. I guess we can agree to disagree.

If there were an actual embargo on Superman being shown, we as an audience would know about it.

You cannot realistically take restrictions that we know apply EXCLUSIVELY to one particular show and apply them universally.

It's not just the problem of Superman though, it's the problem of all superheroes and it happens in the comics all the time. Let's not forget aswell he could be dealing with his own problems. I don't think they need to explain it.

Honestly it doesn't bother me at all, I just look at it the same way it is in the comics.

Most comics at least have a much larger world, filled with a ton of heroes and villains and organizations all going about their business. And even then, you get problems with suspension of disbelief when, say, demon armies overrun New York City and yet somehow the only people around to fight them are Daredevil and a few random Inhumans.

"Other heroes are busy" is a valuable, highly useful tool. The problem is, its not infinitely effective. And the writers of Supergirl? Seem to love writing themselves into corners where its not plausible, since the only kind of "other business" that would believably take priority, would also be *noticeable*. If Superman can't help with the Kryptonian criminals because he's fighting against a foothold invasion by Apokalips, you'd expect people to notice.

They were all around for 12 years with just Superman, he didn't have anyone to call...it has been said that he wasn't/nor would work with the DEO, he survived without them.

This just begs even further questions, is the thing. For one thing, unless Superman is exponentially more powerful than everyone else on the entire planet, he kind of shouldn't be *able* to beat some of the crap that Kara is having to face. For another, it calls to attention the "10 years of Superman, and we're *only now* getting more superheroes?" problem, which you probably don't want people to think about, lest they notice that Superman kind of sucks as being Superman here.

*cough* And as for the "we wouldn't ask this about Superman", well, probably not. Instead, given similar situations, we'd be saying "So, what implausible jobbing are the writers going to pull out today to let Superman win vs vastly superior opposition?" Because, given the history of the character, we could reasonably assume that of *course* he's going to win, even if they literally have him dogpiled by a dozen Kryptonians at once.

Really, the problem here is not "why doesn't Kara ask for help?" The problem is the more general "Why is Superman not here on his own initiative dealing with this planetary-scale threat?"

For me I think they have a limit to what they can do with superman at the present time. If they didn't have access to him at all. We likely wouldn't have seen him or been able to refrence him at all.

Not true. The only incarnation where this occurred was Superman 2 and Man of Steel. I am sure if he knew of WW, Flash & the others. He would have called for help. If Supergirl was in the movie-verse. I would have been shocked if Supes didn't call her for backup when he fought Zod & the others.

If Supergirl existed in a world where she was alone then I agree. But, she doesn't. Superman exists. How do you not call for backup when fighting other Kryptonians??

This is not a knock on the show. I enjoy it. I guess we can agree to disagree.

I was under the impression this show take place AFTER the events of MOS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"