• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why is downloading so taboo here?

F**k Matt Damon, and not in a Sarah Silverman kinda way. :o

It might've been a Honda commercial. I don't remember now.

I downloaded a comic once.

Yeah.

It all reminds me a bit of an interview I saw years ago of the group Chumbawamba (remember "I get knocked down"....I know, we've all tried so hard to forget...) Anyway, they believed in Anarchy, and anti-consumerism, and all that crap. And the interviewer asked them if it was alright for people to just go into stores and take their album. And they were just dumbfounded. Didn't know what to say. I loved it. It's so easy to say that that person over there shouldn't be making a profit. But for ME, the rules are different. I should be protected.

Those things don't necessarily mean you endorse stealing

Last edited:
It all reminds me a bit of an interview I saw years ago of the group Chumbawamba (remember "I get knocked down"....I know, we've all tried so hard to forget...) Anyway, they believed in Anarchy, and anti-consumerism, and all that crap. And the interviewer asked them if it was alright for people to just go into stores and take their album. And they were just dumbfounded. Didn't know what to say. I loved it. It's so easy to say that that person over there shouldn't be making a profit. But for ME, the rules are different. I should be protected.

It's actually interesting that you bring this up, because they were probably dumbfounded because they didn't know how to approach the question. They just said they believe in Anarchy and anti-consumerism, but there record label does not. The record labels are the ones making money off records. The bands don't really see much cash from record sales, they make their money by touring.
So they could have said "Yea we don't care, steal this album" ("Steal this album", wasn't that the name of a System record?) and then their record label would have dropped them so fast they would have barely been a one hit wonder.

...Wait a minute...

I'm actually quite surprised at the moral outrage against downloading.

^Haha, I know

I know. I'm exaggerating my point. C'mon dude. It's ok to steal? Really?! :huh:

Idk if it's "ok" but it makes sense to me

You're awesome, Clones. :awesome:

You and I see eye to eye on a lot of things. Next time you come to Sarasota I need to buy you a beer. :up:

You live in Sarasota? Awesome. I saw the Munchies 420 Cafe on Man vs Food and almost bought a plane ticket down there immediately :awesome:

In these digital times. If Marvel embraced digital distribution they would have a bit more control on the matter I think.
It's like the newspaper industry. It's taking a huge hit. Print isn't necessarily dying, but it is losing it's power.
Plus, with the economic crisis, who can afford to shell out $4 per issue. Especially when issues are about 20 pages and it's part of a greater story that you need others to complete it.

That's the only negative thing I see that might come from downloading comics, that Marvel (and DC and others) will put more and more of their material online and not in print.

Pretty much everyone I know downloads. For example my roommate was watching a high quality cam of 2012 the day it came out.

So, I always like to ask people who download. What kind of job do you want? Then I asked them what about you worked from 5am to 12 am everyday, and after working hard you couldn't wait for Friday to get your check. You cash and and I come up and tell you, "You did a great job this week," then I kicked you in the balls and took your check. And we do that everyweek. Thats what your doing to people in the music, tv, film book, video game industry.

Not exactly. I don't get the satisfaction of kicking someone in the balls.

You live in Sarasota? Awesome. I saw the Munchies 420 Cafe on Man vs Food and almost bought a plane ticket down there immediately :awesome:

Hell yeah! That place is like, 30 seconds from my condo. And no, I've never been there. I know if I do, I'll never leave. Or maybe come back 2 or 3 times a week.

Chumbawamba had been around for YEARS preaching anarchy & all that, and it's great that after 9 or so records, they finally catch a break financially and they probably didn't know how to answer that question because they were probably "warned" by their record label to "tone it down" when it came to that stuff because it would have been too much for all their "newly discovered" music "fans"... it's like when the B-52's hit it big in 1990 with the song "Roam"... which was on their 8th record at the time, but people like to believe that they're new bands and then abandon them as "one-hit wonders"... but truth be know is that Chumbawamba has been a band for over 25 years and counting and is still releasing records...

:yay:

And yet, if they only have one hit, they're still "one-hit wonders", regardless of how "good" they "are". ":yay:"

And thanks for the arguing tip, Random, I forgot you are a MASTER deBATER.

Wow, what mature and intellectually deep reply. I'll be sure to take this to heart coming from someone who admits to stealing and then lectures others on the evils of it.

And I'll point out, by the way, that I'm the only one on here getting my digital copies legally, so for me at least this is just an intellectual consideration.

I'm actually quite surprised at the moral outrage against downloading.

Tbh, this moral outrage is annoying. :mad: ***Unsubcribes from thread***

The thing that the law are worrying more and more about piracy is annoying, it's like they're overlooking other more serious/worse crimes. :whatever:

Last edited:
JH hates cursing, did not know this.

Yup... gave it up 13 years ago. I've cursed maybe 10 times since then... about 7 of those were at my last job... it sucked.

And it's not like I preach against it really... I just don't see any point in it. It doesn't do anything to really enhance the language, not intelligently anyhow. It's ugly and, in my opinion, often times makes a person appear dumber or more vial than they really are. Not to mention it can be offensive and addicting.

I just don't see the appeal in it.

Often, I just try not to do anything that I tell my kids they can't do. Sex being an obvious exception :)

Pretty much everyone I know downloads. For example my roommate was watching a high quality cam of 2012 the day it came out.

So, I always like to ask people who download. What kind of job do you want? Then I asked them what about you worked from 5am to 12 am everyday, and after working hard you couldn't wait for Friday to get your check. You cash and and I come up and tell you, "You did a great job this week," then I kicked you in the balls and took your check. And we do that everyweek. Thats what your doing to people in the music, tv, film book, video game industry.

I can't bring myself to download films or anything of that nature. I do download all my music, but here's the way I look at it. I'm not big into music and don't even own a cd player... and I don't intend on buying another one. The music buisness isn't losing money on me because if I didn't downloaded... i wouldn't be buying it from the stores either. I download it to listen to it, but I don't care enough to actually buy it. So either way, they're not getting any money from me.

I only download comics that I want to buy but can't afford, and then I delete them once I get the money to buy them. I'll occassionally download something I don't have for a reference, but usually I'll then delete the issue when I learn what I need from it.

Honestly... I don't much care reading comics on the computer. I like the physical floppies in my hand and collection. Otherwise it's just kinda fake. It's not like I really have the issues when they're just on my computer. That's why I'll never support comics going digital. I'd likely quit comics the moment that happens.

Anybody that downloaded and didn't buy issues of the Thing's ongoing played a role in it being canceled and therefore has a special place in comic book geek hell reserved for them where there's nothing to read but the Spider-Man clone saga, One More Day, Jeph Loeb's onslaught reborn, and they're forced to watch the Elektra movie and Batman and Robin 5 times a day.

The thing that the law are worrying more and more about piracy is annoying, it's like they're overlooking other more serious/worse crimes. :whatever:

Just because there are worse crimes out there doesn't mean you should dimish the "lesser" ones. It's still stealing and illegal. Only reason people do Piracy is because they feel safe about not getting caught doing so.

Honestly... I don't much care for reading comics on the computer. I like the physical floppies in my hand and collection. Otherwise it's just kinda fake. It's not like I really have the issues when they're just on my computer. That's why I'll never support comics going digital. I'd likely quit comics the moment that happens.

Ditto.

Just because there are worse crimes out there doesn't mean you should dimish the "lesser" ones. It's still stealing and illegal. Only reason people do Piracy is because they feel safe about not getting caught doing so.

It's the "But that guy is going even faster" speeding defense. Cops love that one. (My mom pulled that one out - why aren't you out catching REAL criminals-when I was a teenager and she got pulled over. Got a good 10 minute lecture from the officer about how the country would be in a state of anarchy, yadda yadda. The more I laughed, the longer he made the speech. She still holds it against me....)

It's the "But that guy is going even faster" speeding defense. Cops love that one. (My mom pulled that one out - why aren't you out catching REAL criminals-when I was a teenager and she got pulled over. Got a good 10 minute lecture from the officer about how the country would be in a state of anarchy, yadda yadda. The more I laughed, the longer he made the speech. She still holds it against me....)

Well hey Cops are just people like anyone else. They catch speeders one at a time, they aint high-tech fictional super cops or Judge Dreds lol. =p

Well hey Cops are just people like anyone else. They catch speeders one at a time, they aint high-tech fictional super cops or Judge Dreds lol. =p

Too bad. I say, make it legal for cops to shoot people on the spot when they're caught doing anything more than a misdemeanor, and then watch the ol' crime rate plummet :cwink:

Wow, what mature and intellectually deep reply. I'll be sure to take this to heart coming from someone who admits to stealing and then lectures others on the evils of it.

And I'll point out, by the way, that I'm the only one on here getting my digital copies legally, so for me at least this is just an intellectual consideration.

Well, I wasn't aiming for deep and intellectual. I just wanted to get a dig in. You know how it is. :cwink:

I'm not lecturing to anyone. Again, if you wanna steal, go ahead. But don't have the attitude that you're entitled to what you're stealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"