Why is the Wii a success when the Gamecube was a failure?

congo kong

Civilian
Reaction score
I’ve played the Wii many times so I do understand the concept behind it. While I do not own it, I’ve tried some of its games and do like some of them. The question I have is not why the Wii is so popular, but why it’s so popular when the Gamecube wasn’t?

The Gamecube was the best purchase I ever made. I loved its games and got more use out of it than any system. However, I was confused on just why the Gamecube’s sales were low until I came across a very insightful article by IGN.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/561/561400p1.html

While the article may be pushing 4 years of age now, its points continue to remain true and I’d strongly recommend reading it.

The article states how Nintendo is defined by aging franchises from the 80s and early 90s that have been recycled continuously, with their biggest hits being from these franchises with few new additions being brought forward to great success. The Wii appears to have followed the same trend, with top sellers being Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, Mario Party 8, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, …and you see where this is going. Of course there may be a few that aren’t first party games, but the same went with the Gamecube. The point is that the Wii seems to rely on the same franchises the Gamecube did, yet there no longer seems to be an issue with it.

I suppose one big selling point is the motion sensing additions. While I never liked them (this being the reason I haven’t purchased a Wii) and still can’t understand why it’s such a big hit, I’ll accept people like it and digress.

However, the price point isn’t a very good argument. If you remember, the Gamecube was $200 when it was first released, and at the time it had graphics that competed with all its rivals. Sorry, but I’ve seen the Wii’s graphics, and they are barely a step up from the Gamecube if they are at all. Even with a price that was 2/3 of the PS2, the Gamecube was largely ignored.

I heard many didn’t like the Gamecube because it was “for kids”. During the Gamecube’s era Nintendo seemed to try very hard to appeal to older groups with Resident Evil games and such, but now it seems like Nintendo isn’t even trying. The name “Wii” sounds kiddish, and a lot of the games are certainly more marketable for children than adults. I’m not against this, mind you, but I’m just pointing it out. Sure, it has games that are for older audiences as well, but so did the Gamecube yet the Gamecube was called a “kiddy console”. Now it’s considered “OK” for an adult to like the Wii when some people would have to take abuse for liking the Gamecube.

I suspect a strong reason for the Wii’s success is the availability issues it has. It’s apparently very hard to come by (although I’ve encountered it accidentally in stores many times) and many buy it off impulse purchases.

So, can someone point out why the Gamecube struggled so much while the Wii has succeeded?

Speaking as someone who passed up the Gamecube, I can tell you that one of the reasons I bought a Wii was because I had skipped an entire generation of those rehashed game franchises from the 80s. The thing is, yes, we were all tired of playing Zelda, Mario, and all those Mario sport games. And yeah, that's one reason we didn't buy the Gamecube. So when the Wii came out, a bunch of us hadn't played any of those franchise games since the N64. Before Mario Galaxy, I hadn't played a Mario game since Mario 64. Mario Party 8? Hell, I haven't played since Mario Party 1. Nintendo is old school classic, and I (and I assume others as well) had to take a break before I could come back and appreciate them.

Plus the motion sensing was a huge draw. I was ready to swing my sword in Zelda and play my first shooting game before the system was even out. By the way, Time Crisis totally needs to expand to the Wii.

probably because the wii is revolutionary and appeals to a whole new genre of gamers

same way the nintendo ds appeals to a whole new genres of gamers that wouldn't probably have played games before.

the 'fun family' game is not just as big as the third person shooter or free roaming realistic market. There's big bucks to be made.

it hasn't peaked yet, just wait till force unleashed is released on the wii, then you'll see...

Wii succeed where GC didn't because GC competed against PS2 and Xbox, and it didn't have the graphics nor the games to win the console war. Wii decided not to play PS3 and 360 at their own game, and instead of focusing on hardware Nintendo decided to use innovation (their motion sensing technology) and offer something uniquely different, an experience you can't find in the other two powerhouse console systems. Also, Nintendo went after the casual gamers market, and those who hardly or never played video games before. The result is that many people who didn't previously played or own consoles wanted Wii, and thus Wii has been outselling both 360 and PS3 since its debut over a year ago.

I still argue that while Gamecube abviously lost the console war to PS2 and X-Box...it wasn't a failure.

There were a good number of great games. What they got a lot of **** for was the fact that they still didn't make online games. That was a big losing factor for Nintendo at the time.

Wii succeed where GC didn't because GC competed against PS2 and Xbox, and it didn't have the graphics nor the games to win the console war. Wii decided not to play PS3 and 360 at their own game, and instead of focusing on hardware Nintendo decided to use innovation (their motion sensing technology) and offer something uniquely different, an experience you can't find in the other two powerhouse console systems. Also, Nintendo went after the casual gamers market, and those who hardly or never played video games before. The result is that many people who didn't previously played or own consoles wanted Wii, and thus Wii has been outselling both 360 and PS3 since its debut over a year ago.

The Wii's first 18 months have been more successful than any other system.The cheap price is also a factor but they went and created their own market. Which is only good for the industry.

QFT

I think that pricepoint is a very valid argument with the Wii's success. First of all, the economy isn't as great as it used to be with rising costs in fuel prices and basic goods so people don't have as much money to freely spend. Frankly it's a lot easier to buy a $250 console over a $300/$400 and $500/$600 console.

And second just compare the Wii's pricepoint to the Xbox 360's and Playstation 3's, even with the price drops, $250 is a lot more appealing than $350/$450 and $400/$500.

Of course price is obviously not the only factor.

As previously stated by other posters the Wii just offers something different over the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Sony and Microsoft are pushing for HD media, internet interactivity, incredibly powerful graphics, but sticking to traditional. Have your own preferences (I prefer the Playstation 3 over the Xbox 360 personally), but they're over all the same.

The Wii on the other hand offers extreme simplicity with its games and innovation with the Wii Remote. This is appealing.

Nintendo is really appealing to the market for casual gamers with games such as Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

Nintendo has captured their fanbase with extreme ease. Pleasing them with Wii games Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Mario Kart Wii, and the Virtual Console service which offers games not only from the Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Nintendo 64 systems, but also the Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Turbo-Graphx-16, Neo-Geo, Commodore 64, and MSX systems.

The two obvious answers are motion control and price. At $250 it is a steal compared to Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. Yeah, both of those systems are much more powerful and have many more 3rd party greats in a year than Wii probably will get...overall. And PS3 has a blu-ray player on top of that. But they are extremely expensive and the market is changing directions.

Wii uses motion control which is revolutionary and easily accessible. It is the first system since SNES and Sega Genesis that people who aren't gamers can just pick up and have a lot of fun playing. It is the first in over ten years to let you just pick up and play. And that has now created a new market with these graphics of the "casual gamer." And they are buying in such bulk, for better or worse that is the direction of the market. Hardcore gaming is being phased out. And by next generation they will have intermingled and the truly deep and difficult (and rewarding) gameplays like Metal Gear Solids will be prestige pieces. I' m willing to bet hardcore gaming in the market will become the minority and have huge hits like Nintendo has been doing this generation (see Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Metriod Prime 3, No More Heroes, etc. vs. just-as-high-selling Wii Sports, Wii Play, WarioWare Smooth Moves, Wii Fit, etc.).

The market is changing is the reason. I love the Wii (I prefer it to my PS3), but I'm worried that it may have some negative repercussions for the games I do love playing.

Because people think they "get active" with the wii physically.

As I said in my initial post, the price point shouldn't be a very good reason. Why is the price point now a selling point when it wasn't for the Gamecube?

As I said in my initial post, the price point shouldn't be a very good reason. Why is the price point now a selling point when it wasn't for the Gamecube?
Because it's the economy mostly.

The Gamecube launched with a $200 price tag compared to the $300 price tag for the Xbox and Playstation 2. A $100 dollar difference in 2001. With the economy of 2001, a $100 price difference wasn't that bad because the dollar was stronger, gas prices were much lower, and basic goods were cheaper.

Now we're going to take a look at the economy of 2006 - 2008. The dollar has gotten much weaker. Gas prices are rising dramatically. And the cost of basic goods keep going up and people's wages are staying the same.

The Wii launched in 2006 at $250 with a $50 advantage over the Core Xbox 360 which no one with a sensible mind bought. A $150 advantage over the Premium Xbox 360. A $250 advantage over the 20GB Playstation 3. And a $350 advantage over the 60GB Playstation 3. The differences in price are much more drastic.

Now move onto 2008. Conditions with the dollar, gas prices, and basic goods have gotten much worse now. The Wii still has the price advantage here. Even with out a single price drop, mostly due to incredibly high demand. It has a $30 advantage over the Arcade Xbox 360, which like its Core predecessor, no one with a sensible mind buys. A $100 advantage over the Premium Xbox 360. A $150 advantage over the 40GB Playstation 3. A $200 advantage over the Elite Xbox 360. And a $250 advantage over the 80GB Playstation 3. The price difference is still very drastic. Especially with a weakening economy.

Also take a look at the price of games. Wii games are priced no higher than $50. Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 games are $60, they even make Special Edition packages for these games which can reach up to $80.

Price is a very valid factor. It isn't the only one though because there are multiple factors on why the Wii is successful.

You wouldn't get the "casual crowd" to fork over $400-$500 for a system then $150+ for games and and extra controller. $250 you get a system and a game. The Gamecube while cheap, like all Nintendo systems, didn't attract the casual crowd. Plus it came out against the PS3 which bungled its launch marketing wise while Nintendo's was better.

The price goes into effect because the Wii has successfully differenciated their product in their economic oligopoly. They are in a competitive market with only a few major players. The best way to compete is to make your product stand out. The Gamecube other than being purple for about a month (before Nintendo realized every American who was 12 and up bought the black one), was not distinguishable from the PS2 or Xbox. While I preferred the Gamecube's controller to both of those systems and love Nintendo's in-house library...the average gamer gets the best product. Nintendo had burned so many bridges with third parties the last generation and was a step behind in almost all categories when they switched to disc. They had little third party support, they ignored internet play (which became the next big new thing) and had no DVD players installed when that was a selling point in 2001, because most Americans did not have a DVD player. PS2 and Xbox filled all these quotients. The DVD player separated themselves from Gamecube and they did not go for a kid-friendly look like GAmecube and picked up most of the third party support.

So all three systems essientially were the same, but the other two systems had the richer libraries and better accessories that included online play, which was becoming a new platform for gaming.

The Wii showcased itself as a new and different product. While Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are the exact same system, except for controllers and one having a Blu-ray player installed (which has still not replaced the DVD player, yet) the Wii stands out. The motion controls are quite frankly awesome and a groundbreaking step forward. It also had an awesome marketing campaign that sold itself as accessible to new gamers who just want to have fun while Microsoft and particularly Sony sold themselves as "exclusively" for thsoe who already were in the gaming market. They were closed off and Sony led an imposing marketing campaign that treated the PS3 as something ultra-powerful and difficult to master. The Wii sold itself as a fun machine with a great new dynamic to gaming that could be sold as a gimmick (though the system is not) on commercials. It is simple and easy to use and they are making mostly simple and easy to play games on it for those gamers who are taking over the market.

Add in a lower price and it is no wonder it sells like hot cakes.

Your right about everything except graphical power. The GC was graphically superior to the PS2 and only slightly less than the XBOX.

The Wii is the first Nintendo system I bought since the SNES, and I'm loving it. It has allowed me to enjoy the new games, plus bucketloads of games that the GC had I never experienced. This basically boils down to that I'm now addicted to the Pikmin franchise. :(

If you never owned an N64 download as many games for it as possible on your Wii. Simply put, N64 is the best system of all time and there are more classics on that system than any other I've seen.

The two obvious answers are motion control and price. At $250 it is a steal compared to Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. Yeah, both of those systems are much more powerful and have many more 3rd party greats in a year than Wii probably will get...overall. And PS3 has a blu-ray player on top of that. But they are extremely expensive and the market is changing directions.

Wii uses motion control which is revolutionary and easily accessible. It is the first system since SNES and Sega Genesis that people who aren't gamers can just pick up and have a lot of fun playing. It is the first in over ten years to let you just pick up and play. And that has now created a new market with these graphics of the "casual gamer." And they are buying in such bulk, for better or worse that is the direction of the market. Hardcore gaming is being phased out. And by next generation they will have intermingled and the truly deep and difficult (and rewarding) gameplays like Metal Gear Solids will be prestige pieces. I' m willing to bet hardcore gaming in the market will become the minority and have huge hits like Nintendo has been doing this generation (see Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Metriod Prime 3, No More Heroes, etc. vs. just-as-high-selling Wii Sports, Wii Play, WarioWare Smooth Moves, Wii Fit, etc.).

The market is changing is the reason. I love the Wii (I prefer it to my PS3), but I'm worried that it may have some negative repercussions for the games I do love playing.

Hardcore gaming isn't being phased out. Those hardcore titles still sell great. Sure there will probably be more casual games coming out, but we saw that with the PS2, with their music titles, Singstar, Guitar Hero, etc. However, the hardcore gamers are still what makes the video game business what it is. I'm a huge fan of my Wii, but I would never want it for my only system, 360 fulfills my hardcore gaming needs, while Wii fulfills my Nintendo franchises and casual gaming needs.

If you never owned an N64 download as many games for it as possible on your Wii. Simply put, N64 is the best system of all time and there are more classics on that system than any other I've seen.
I definitely agree.:up:

I'd say take another look at the SNES.
But the N64 does have its fair share of classics.

Hardcore gaming isn't being phased out. Those hardcore titles still sell great. Sure there will probably be more casual games coming out, but we saw that with the PS2, with their music titles, Singstar, Guitar Hero, etc. However, the hardcore gamers are still what makes the video game business what it is. I'm a huge fan of my Wii, but I would never want it for my only system, 360 fulfills my hardcore gaming needs, while Wii fulfills my Nintendo franchises and casual gaming needs.

I'm not saying there will be no more games for us that appeal to the "immersive gamers" or the epics. But I think they are going to become the prestige pieces of a system and most games will be the easy to churn out and "gimmick-promising" game that will get causual gamers to buy in amss. I'm referring to games like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, DDR, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, etc. That is where the market is heading. GAmes like Zelda or Resident Evil and Final Fantasy for that matter will become the exception, instead of the rule of the gaming market. I'm not saying in this generation but in ten years that is where I see the market going, unfortunately. We're already seen classics fade away like Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden and while I'm not a fan of it, Halo. It's just the way the audiences and the new (younger) consumers are going.

I'd say take another look at the SNES.
But the N64 does have its fair share of classics.

I thoroughly respect the SNES (though I was a Sega Genesis kid, :p ) but N64 had it all. We're talking Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Super Smash Bros, Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron, 1080 Snowboarding, Mission: Impossible, Infernal Machine, Banjo-Kazooie, Konker's Bad Fur Day, Jet Force Gemeni, the good World is Not Enough, and so on. As well as ports for many great PS1 games that could be argued against it like Spider-Man, Resident Evil 2, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, etc.

But really all I need to say is OOT and the greatest video game experience of all time floods back into the memory. I'm half tempted to go pull out my N64 and play it right now.

I liked the N64, but "best system of all time"? "more classics on that system than any other I've seen"? Sorry but the 2600 has N64 beat by a mile. NES and SNES too in my opinion.

Sorry, Atari is before my time, so I don't have much nostalgia for the pong days. NES was my firstt system and while it, Genesis, SNES and PS1 were good, I say classic as in a game that despite being graphically outdated or technologically ancient, the games are still as much fun or satisfying when they were cutting edge. And for me (again, nostalgia is a factor for me, here) N64 was that system. I think it has a lot to do with the first system that made you really big into gaming.

I thoroughly respect the SNES (though I was a Sega Genesis kid, :p ) but N64 had it all. We're talking Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Super Smash Bros, Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron, 1080 Snowboarding, Mission: Impossible, Infernal Machine, Banjo-Kazooie, Konker's Bad Fur Day, Jet Force Gemeni, the good World is Not Enough, and so on. As well as ports for many great PS1 games that could be argued against it like Spider-Man, Resident Evil 2, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, etc.

But really all I need to say is OOT and the greatest video game experience of all time floods back into the memory. I'm half tempted to go pull out my N64 and play it right now.

Personal preference doesn't make something the "greatest of all time," but it can for whoever sees it that way.

However, SNES/NES easily had dozens of more classics and greater titles, a quarter of your list of which is based on.

I'm not saying there will be no more games for us that appeal to the "immersive gamers" or the epics. But I think they are going to become the prestige pieces of a system and most games will be the easy to churn out and "gimmick-promising" game that will get causual gamers to buy in amss. I'm referring to games like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, DDR, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, etc. That is where the market is heading. GAmes like Zelda or Resident Evil and Final Fantasy for that matter will become the exception, instead of the rule of the gaming market. I'm not saying in this generation but in ten years that is where I see the market going, unfortunately. We're already seen classics fade away like Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden and while I'm not a fan of it, Halo. It's just the way the audiences and the new (younger) consumers are going.

While you have a point with Ninja Gaiden II, but Metal Gear Solid 4 and Halo 3 sold phenominally.

While casual games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play, Guitar Hero, and Rock Band are going to be at the top of the market, the hardcore games as long as they are good like the upcomming Gears of War II, Final Fantasy XIII, Resident Evil 5, the next iterations in the Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, etc. will still be great sellers as well.

It's just that Nintendo has delivered the perfect balance. They got the casual and hardcore market down. Sony has the hardcore market down and has the culture to go more into the casual market. Microsoft has the hardcore market the best, but their attempts to go casual seem very lame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"