Why No Animation/Cartoon Board?

Thundarr

Superhero
Reaction score
I didn't know where to post this, so I figured I'd put it up here. Why isn't there a separate board for animated programs and cartoons? I know there's a board for Anime & Manga, but that's a very specific style of animated programming.

I think the site moderators should create a separate board for the non-anima/manga animated programs. Things like Batman TAS, The Smurfs, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Dungeons & Dragons TAS, JLA, South Park, etc, would all be found there. Shows like Pokemon, Robotech, Avatar: The Last Air Bender, etc would be in the Anime/Manga board. And of course live action shows would have their threads in the Misc TV Series board.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a good idea? I know some shows might be difficult to categorize, as many American cartoons actually had their animation done in Japan. But again, Anime/Manga is a very specific style of animation, very distinct from "American Animation".

Anyway, post your opinions. Let everyone know if you think this is a good idea or not. Let's see what happens.

I think the all encompassing "Misc. TV Series" section works just fine. It's not like Star Wars, where everything Star Wars related was trapped in one big messy thread. Each show, animated or otherwise, gets it's own thread for discussion. The only difference having animated shows separated from live action shows is that we'd have to go to another section, when they're already neatly compiled here.

I've often wondered this,too.I'd rather have a seperate cartoon board as well.

Because there's no demand for it.

From a strictly categorical standpoint, there's no need for an anime/manga section. Anime is just animation from Japan and Manga is just comic books from Japan, and since there's no specific section for animation and/or comic books from other countries, there's no reason that the anime threads should be split up between movies and tv and the manga threads should go in misc. comic books.

But there is a much greater demand for such a section. Anime fans, as a group, are much more distinct and separate from other fandoms. Most anime fans are fans of both, you rarely see someone who likes one but doesn't care about the other, the size of the fan community is noteworthy, and for better or worse most anime fans look at anime and manga as something separate from other forms of animation and sequential art. I don't, I think that the distinction is a little silly, but that's how a lot of anime fans see it and so that demand exists.

There really isn't that kind of demand for a separate animation section.

I voted yes for a seperate board. Why not? The Anime board could be rebranded Animation to incorporate that stuff

I voted yes for a seperate board. Why not? The Anime board could be rebranded Animation to incorporate that stuff

My thoughts exactly. If the Anime fans are too "uppity" to want to allow that ("But Thundarr The Barbarian is an American Cartoon, not Anime!") then have a separate board for the two styles.

Personally, I've always seen the distinction between the two a little silly myself. And some Anime I found to be highly overrated (namely Pokemon & Sailor Moon).

But as I said in my opening post, most American cartoons are actually animated in Japan (at least that was often the case back in the 1980's, might not be done quite so much today). You can even spot glimpses of Japan's unique style of artwork & animation in some of the older American cartoons that were animated overseas (Mighty Orbots and Dungeons & Dragons come to mind). So technically, EVERYTHING animated COULD be considered Anime.

Anyway, I say we either incorporate the two into one separate Animation board, or have two separate Animation boards (one for Anime/Manga, and one for everything else that doesn't fit into that category).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"