Why so much hate for Affleck's Daredevil movie?

Lazlo Panaflex

Superhero
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Daredevil comics or Ben Affleck but I did find the movie enjoyable, hell I even saw it twice in theaters and Colin Farrel was awesome as Bullseye and Jennifer Garner aquitted herself as Elektra.

But I find that a lot of fans and critics disliked the movie saying that it was the poor man's version of Batman and Affleck wasn't believable as a blind person, maybe his romance with JLO at the time had something to do with it and people weren't interested.

But the movie is cool as an alternative to the other superhero movies because it doesn't contain all out explosions and overblown CGI.

Also the Ghost Rider movie with Nicolas Cage is being directed by Mark Steven Johnson, if fans didn't like DD then what will the expectations for GR be?

I don't hate it. In fact, I love the movie, and most notably the Director's Cut which is better than the theatrical film.

I thought Ben Affleck did a good job with Daredevil. No complaints from me.

Because the movie could be a lot better? I don't hate Ben Affleck as Daredevil, I hate Daredevil the movie...

I liked it man, even though on some terms it could've been better. But with Affleck he expressed so much interest and heart with the character. Saying how Daredevil had always been his favorite since he was young, and having a huge collection.

I say bring him back for a second.

i loved it........ even the non-directors cut

It is a GOOD movie imo... but it's not GREAT... (gotta watch the director's cut). Ben did justice to daredevil.

I have no hate for the DD movie...or Ben Affleck's portrayal.

It was boring. Ben was flat as Matt and Daredevil, Jennifer Garner is neither exotic enough to be Elektra nor is she engaging enough to keep interest high. Kingpin had next to nothing to do except sic Bullseye on Natchios. Key scenes were cut, making the movie choppy and uneven.

And furthermore, the Evanescance-heavy soundtrack was distractingly awful.

Ben looked good as Daredevil and Farrel almost attained Jack's Joker levels as Bullseye, but the rest of the movie was just bad. Tried to achieve too many things and failed at almost all of them. It was more ambitious than it had any right to be.

blind_fury said:
Two words.

playground fight.

what a cheese-fest. :down

One scene doesn't ruin the whole movie,I though Daredevil was fine...It was the movie Elektra that sucked from begining to end. Worst movie ever!

blind_fury said:
Two words.

playground fight.

what a cheese-fest. :down
Oh the wires. :(

The DC was like a completely different movie than what I saw in theaters. It even had more of that girl from the Anatomy show. But.... Coolio...

I liked it. I found Daredevil to be an enjoyable movie. Not great or anything, but pretty decent. Could have been a bit better, but that goes without saying. The Punisher falls basically into the same catagory as Daredevil.

I somewhat liked it.
It wasn't Affleck's fault either.

I just didn't like the direction.

The PG-13 theater cut is ok. The R-rated Director's Cut is pretty good. I thought Affleck did a believable job being a blind person.

I liked the theatrical cut of Daredevil. Saw it 3 times in theaters I believe. Jesus Christ did the Director's Cut blow it out of the water though. Now when I watch the theatrical release, all I see are the flaws.

I thought the theatre version was okay, but the DC was better.

Affleck didn't sink the movie, though I would've preferred Matt Damon. The casting wasn't the problem necessarily. (I liked Garner, but probably would've went with a more Mediterranean looking, olive skinned actress-Emanuelle Vaughier for example). It was really the direction and the story.

The biggest storyline offenders:

The playground flirting/fight thing was stupid. DD just laying there will Elektra got murdered, and then surprisingly finding the strength to swing away, fight both Bullseye and Kingpin and defeat them both. DD revealing himself to KP was dumb. Change those scenes and I think you've got a pretty good movie that wouldn't be so reviled.

They were trying to do too much in the movie. It should've perhaps followed Born Again, and used the Kingpin as the main villian. Michael C. Duncan didn't much of a chance to shine as Kingpin.

Bring Bullseye in in the second film. I liked Colin Farrell's look. I think a second movie featuring him/DD/and the Elektra storyline solely would've been pretty cool.

I liked DD a lot, the theatrical and the DC of the movie, and I didn't have a problem with Affleck as DD, but in the end it was just Ben Affleck in the suit and not Matt Murdock. I love when they go for unknowns in the suit. It worked for Superman, Spider-Man, Wolverine so well, that no matter what the character, I would always go for an unknown actor and use better known actors for the supporting roles.

The theatrical version is very weak. It's not fair to judge Affleck, SMJ or anyone else on that, because that's only 60% of what they made. You have to look at the whole picture, the Director's Cut.

I think the actors did the best with what they had, which was ****. Mark Steven Johnson really didn't know what he was doing, I don't think. To be fair, though, Fox share a lot of the blame because they wanted to dumb it down - 90 minute runtime, big name star, crappy pop/rock soundtrack, etc. While the Director's Cut is much better, it's still not that great.
I was thoroughly disappointed. :down

The directors cut is really good. I think more people will the like the movie if they see the DC version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"