MSJ talks Daredevil sequel "Born Again"

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
http://www.moviehole.net/news/20061113_mark_steven_johnson_wants_dare.html

Mark Steven Johnson wants Daredevil 2
Posted : November 13, 2006 Writer : Clint Morris
At the Wizard World Convention Last Week, “Ghost Rider” helmer Mark Steven Johnson said he’d be keen to not only do a sequel to the Nicolas Cage starrer, but also his earlier superhero effort, “Daredevil”.

According to Aint it Cool, Johnson said he’d like to do a sequel that uses the ‘Born Again’ storyline as its template.

"Daredevil: Born Again" is a story arc in Marvel Comics' series. The story details Daredevil's fall to insanity and destitution at the hands of The Kingpin, as well as his subsequent struggle to build a new life for himself. It is considered by many fans to be the definitive Frank Miller written Daredevil story.

Unfortunately, MSJ thinks he’d have a bit of a fight on his hands – because FOX aren’t keen on to put the guy in crimson back on the screen; not after the failure of “Elektra” anyway. The studio has “shelved” any future “Daredevil” instalment, he said.

If FOX did decide to do a sequel to “Daredevil”, it sounds like they’d have to recast. Ben Affleck said recently that he’d never wear tights again (just on a film set, I assume?). “By playing a superhero in Daredevil, I have inoculated myself from ever playing another superhero," Affleck told the press at the London premiere of “Hollywoodland”. "Wearing a costume was a source of humiliation for me and something I wouldn't want to do again soon."

Though rumours suggested Jason Behr (“The Grudge”, “Skinwalkers”) was in talks at one stage to replace Affleck for a sequel, reps for the actor say, “That’s not true.” Perceptibly a nice fan movement to get Behr the role, me thinks.

Michael Clarke Duncan, on the other hand, would be keen to return for a sequel. The actor who played the villain Kingpin in the first film said he’s got some great ideas for a follow-up. "I had thought what would be kind of cool that we see him in jail, we see him in prison, we see him...you start from the end of 'Daredevil', before the sirens and Daredevil is gone and you see the Kingpin in shackles you see him going to prison you see him getting locked up and you see his boys sitting there saying 'Well what are you going to do now?' And he just starts to think 'I need to train, I need to get better, I need to get quicker'."

Michael Clarke Duncan looks like hes returning if they make a sequel thats good news. Nice Find AD.

A Daredevil sequel based on Born Again with no Ben Affleck or Jennifer Garner sounds like a winner.

I'm sure MSJ would love to do DD with another studio that won't smother him. Maybe if GR does well enough and Fox sees the director (with more freedom) can make a winner then they'll go for it...or give the rights back to Marvel which I'm praying for. Daredevil would immediately go out to screenwriters if Marvel got the rights back and they'd add it to their credit facility instantly.

I wonder how long Fox is going to sit on the rights? Marvel should've had a clause to get the right back if Fox is going to just sit on it.

The bomb that was Elektra had nothing to do with the DD movie. FOX is stupid to sit on the rights to DD for that reason.

I think that MSJ should blend elements of Born Again with Bendis' run. I'd only make sence that Kingpin would first ruin Matt's life and then make his identity public.

The studio has “shelved” any future “Daredevil” instalment, he said.

Good.:up:
And if they decide to move forward with a sequel, keep Mark Steven Johnson the **** away from it. Yes, the Director's Cut was a huge improvement over the theatrical cut, but that really isn't saying much.

BlackHardKnight said:
I wonder how long Fox is going to sit on the rights? Marvel should've had a clause to get the right back if Fox is going to just sit on it.

Elektra's release extended the rights of Daredevil despite what SOME may think. Generally 5 years of non-activity will mean the rights revert back. Universal was running out of time so it seems they struck a deal with Marvel to keep the distribution rights and let the rights go a bit early. Universal had no chance of releasing the flick. Uni better hurry up w/Namor cause hiring a director isn't good enough to hold onto the rights. Fox also doesn't own the rights it's New Regency and they've already made it clear they have no plans to release a sequel so they might give the right sup early for distribution as well.

I would love a sequel to Daredevil under Marvel's banner.

Gammy79 said:
I hope this happens :( :up:
I don't care what anyone says, I still loved the Director's Cut.

I don't care what anyone says, I still love BOTH versions.

The directors cut had alot going for it. To me (and I hate to be part of the lynch mob but...) I can't stand Affleck in action films. His performance in the fighting and action sequences was so empty and useless it was a joke. Now he's trying to separate himself from the role by saying he was embarassed and he's thankful he's innoculated from doing other roles but the truth is he was awful in MOST peoples minds and he knows it. Not most peoples here maybe but most people in the general audience. Thankfully however the movie was good enough to pull in over 100 million domestic. I know there's a group of you that really enjoyed the film and that's great...just like I enjoyed X3 so to each his own.

MSJ is growing a s director, the flaws in DD: DC were stylstic and had a lot going for it, I'd love to see a sequal. But if they cast someone else, I hope it's a damn good actor who can define Daredevil.

I have nothing against the 'Fleck, and I still think he did a good job, but I hope they don't cast that pretty boy from The Gudge for the sequel.
How about a real actor?
I'd like Damian Lewis, the guy is a fantastic actor, he's a real redhead, and I'm sure he can handle the action with some training/stunt doubling.

ba-dl.jpg

damianlewis_opinion_tcm8-10174.jpg

blewis0404021_150x200.jpg

so, is Rex Smith to old to play him (agian), now LOL

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/articles/3155.asp

Johnson Talks To Wizard Texas Audience About Ghost Rider!

Mark Steven Johnson, writer and director of the upcoming Ghost Rider, answered questions for fans at the Wizard World Texas audience after showing 9-minute preview clip:

* Johnson said the last time he was in Texas was when he was scouting for Ghost Rider, which he ultimately shot in Melbourne, Australia. "The spirit of Texas is really a big part of the movie," Johnson said. "We've kind of created a fictional city; we never name it. It's a little bit of Dallas, a little bit of Houston and a little bit of San Antonio."

ghost-rider-art.jpg

* The transformation from Johnny Blaze to Ghost Rider can't be shown in a trailer, Johnson said, because of MPAA regulations involving showing people on fire. "It's frustrating for me because it's my favorite stuff in the movie," Johnson said.

* Johnson said Ghost Rider was a movie he tried to make even before Daredevil. "This was the one I always wanted to make," he said. "I come from Minnesota, a big cycling state, big Harley state. So being surrounded by all these bikes, and I'm a huge Evel Knievel fan growing up. So between, a horror movie and an Evel Knievel movie, it was like a dream geek project for me."

* Asked about a Daredevil sequel, Johnson said, "Oh man, I would just love it. I wish they would. I've spoken really bluntly about my feelings about the movie. I still love the movie, even with all the flaws. Fox, for some reason, they have it in their heads that Elektra was the sequel to Daredevil -- which was a terrible movie. I'm hoping they'll still go ahead with it or if not, they'll give the rights back to Marvel, who has their own money now and can do their own thing and get it right. My dream would be to go back, reboot it and do a 'Born Again' storyline. And then maybe do a Daredevil: Yellow -- or at least a Daredevil: Yellow televisions series. That would be awesome. I think there are so many great stories to tell."

* Johnson said he felt "really lucky" about getting his cast. "I got the people I wanted," he said.

* How true will the movie be to the comic? "It's very, very true to the Johnny Blaze storyline," Johnson said. "As you can tell with the introduction of Caretaker, I did cherry-pick a couple of my favorite stuff from the Danny Ketch era. I think there's great stories in there.

"But it's the Quentin Carnival. It's very, very true to the comics. Very slight changes. One of the changes was that he makes a deal for his own father, who is dying of cancer, with the devil, versus his step-father. And, like I said, mixing the 70s with the 90s. But other than that, it's very authentic to the comic."

Johnson said that even in the nine-minute clip, there were some of his favorite Ghost Rider comics images incorporated.

"Everybody became a Ghost Rider fan who worked on this movie. It was mandatory," Johnson said. "There were comics everywhere."

* Johnson said he was surprised the film got a PG-13 rating. "There's some intense stuff in here," said. "I was pretty shocked. I didn't have to cut anything to get the PG-13 rating."

Johnson said he didn't think a hard R-rated Ghost Rider would be better than a PG-13 Ghost Rider. "I think that's kind of a bogus argument," he said. "For me, growing up, my favortite movies most of them are PG movie. Even Jaws was a PG movie."

Johnson said he didn't think more gore would make Ghost Rider a better movie. "God knows, there are so many horrible horror movies," he said.

Johnson said he signed a contract with the stipulation that Ghost Rider would be PG-13.

* Johnson said he has a project in the works with HBO, but he couldn't talk about it until the deal closes.

* About Nicolas Cage, Johnson said, "There's no one like him. The thing he really brought to it, and I should have expected it but I was still surprised, was all the Cage-isms, you know what I mean. The way he makes things different. And they don't feel phony, they feel operadic and exciting and weird."

Johnson related how Cage said being Johnny Blaze was like being in a dentist chair all the time, waiting for a nerve to be hit.

"You never know when you're going to go," Johnson said. "And once you start thinking that way, it changes everything. With Johnny Blaze, he shouldn't be this boring alter ego. He should be this interesting, really far-out guy."

Johnson said viewers will see Mephisto and Blackheart in demonic form. "Not Mephisto like the comics," Johnson said, laughing. "That's one I had to take a little liberty with. I couldn't imagine that one."

Johnson said that Blackheart's look will evolve in the movie, particularly toward the end when he takes on souls.

* Johnson said he emphasized the theatrical in creating Ghost Rider's Hellcycle, desiring a "Giger-ish" look. "I always loved how the Batmobile looks like Batman," he said. "And I wanted the Hellcycle to look like Ghost Rider, with twisted metal and bones."

Johnson said the bike used in the film is "a *****" to drive.

"It's 12 feet long," he said. "It goes up to about 90 (mph). In a straight line, it's great. But it corners really badly. So you see him coming around the corner, it's all sped-up shots. It's like, 'Don't dump it! Don't dump it!'"
* Cage delivers all of Ghost Rider's lines, which are then manipulated by sound designer Dane Davis.

"He took his voice and aded three animal growls to it -- a lion's growl, a tiger and a leopard," Johnson said. "He then ran it through a fire thing and then he came up with air going through pipes. And then he took some oily, rusted changes and drug them around the room. And you combine all these things, and that's what the voice is."

* Asked who was a better actor, Cage or Ben Affleck, Johnson laughed and said, "Oh, that's a bad question. You're setting me up here."

He said he had been a longtime Cage fan. "I never know what to expect from him," he said.

* Johnson said he was interested in a Ghost Rider sequel. "You have to wait and see how this goes," he said. "I sure hope so. I know Nic would love to, and we'd all love to.

"What's great about second ones is you can go right into the fun, you don't have to worry about origins. You can go, 'OK, who's the next villain? What kind of fun can we get into?'"

Johnson said he might be interested in using Marvel's version of Scarecrow, who was in his original plans for the first Ghost Rider film before hearing that a Scarecrow would be in Batman Begins.

"I think you could still do it here and do Marvel's version of Scarecrow, which was such a cool character," Johnson said.

* Johnson said he would be interested in bringing some of the other Midnight Sons characters into the movie franchise.

* Johnson said he was well aware of the DVD while shooting Ghost Rider.

"The one for this is going to be pretty extraordinary," Johnson said, hinting at an extended cut.

* Johnson said he wasn't sure if there was going to be a soundtrack. Christopher Young, who is also working on Spider-Man 3, is doing the score.

"He has a beautiful Ghost Rider theme," Johnson said.

Australian group Spiderbait is contributing a cover version of "Ghost Riders in the Sky" for the film.

* Johnson said Marvel has asked him to write a Ghost Rider comics story, but he won't commit to it until he knows he can finish it on time.

"I, myself, get so upset when comics are late," he said. "If it's months late and it's still now showing up ... I don't want to be that guy. If I do it, I want to make sure I can do it and I can finish it."

* Stan Lee does not make a cameo in the film. Johnson, who used Lee in Daredevil, noted that Ghost Rider is one of the few Marvel film characters that Lee did not have a hand in creating and that filming in Australia also made it very difficult to have Lee involved.

* Asked what DC Comics character he would like to work with, Johnson said Preacher.
Here's the full interview. Daredevil in the original yellow outfit!

I can't help but like Mark Steven Johnson as a person. He always seems so cool, relaxed, and pleasant. I have to respect him for not wanting to commit to a comic book series because of missed deadlines. Classy. :up:
Too bad he's not much of a director. :csad:

^ How is that Ben? He's still a young director with lots to look forward to. How do you know Ghost Rider isn't a great film? I'm assuming it's gonna be.

Affleck's quote has been altered and taken completely out of context... the actual quote was referring to how wearing the costume was a source of humiliation for GEORGE REEVES, because he was talking about his role in the overlong "Hollywoodland." He never said the quote they put in there.

So yeah, real great journalism there. Whoever wrote that story should be shot twice in the skull. Not that I'm too surprised, considering we're talking about Moviehole, which seems to just make crap up half the time.

Bishop2 said:
Affleck's quote has been altered and taken completely out of context... the actual quote was referring to how wearing the costume was a source of humiliation for GEORGE REEVES, because he was talking about his role in the overlong "Hollywoodland." He never said the quote they put in there.

So yeah, real great journalism there. Whoever wrote that story should be shot twice in the skull. Not that I'm too surprised, considering we're talking about Moviehole, which seems to just make crap up half the time.

ya, I know right, he said the same kinda thing in his interview on the "making of" on HBO, he wasn't saying he well never play a hero again, he was just saying that for reeve's being a grown man dressed up in tights and being swung around on rope, was kinda humiliating (at the time when watching it, I thought it was kinda funny, that he would say that, since he did play daredevil, but I didn’t think it was him saying he wouldn't do it again) he was just really trying to get into character, and inside Reeve’s mind set, for the role. (anyway, the daredevil suit wasn't spandex tights, it was leather lol)

Advanced Dark said:
^ How is that Ben? He's still a young director with lots to look forward to.

After Daredevil, I'm not looking forward to anything he directs. I would, however, love to chat with him sometime, because he seems very cool and down-to-earth.

Advanced Dark said:
How do you know Ghost Rider isn't a great film? I'm assuming it's gonna be.

His first superhero film was mediocre at best. And considering the character and the cast of his next one, I'm not confident that it will markedly better.

A sequel will never happen because the first one was a joke. The lead actor wasn't good in the role and the movie was just a mismash of better films. Mix one part Spider-Man, minus the charm, compotent direction and better lead, and one part Matrix, minus the well done wirework and better directed action scenes and you come up with DareDevil. It's the little movie that couldn't...be good.

And no I haven't watched the directors cut yet because it is still staring Affleck who, altough I've gotten over my annoyance with, wasn't good in the role. It still has the same "I can't see s**t" direction/director and I'm pretty sure that Bullseye still just appears in the movie without any explaination and rock music is played every two seconds. It crawled over 100mil and that ridiculous awful looking GhostRider will be lucky to pull in 90mil when all is said and done. Bad news for a 120 million dollar budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"