Why so much hate for The Incredible Hulk

I thought The Incredible Hulk was great. Everyone I've ever talked to about it seems to like it as well.

Ang Lee's HULK is a different story. God, that was just terrible in so many ways.

My feelings are similar to those two above. The Hulk being a mute non-character has been what has bugged me ever since the TV show. I read the comic for the Hulk character...NOT Banner. Yet every live-action adaptation has been "The Incredible Bruce/David Banner (with special guest appearance by the Hulk)". As said above, even the Avengers didn't change that. It worked in Avengers because there were lots of really interesting characters around to keep the audience from nodding off during the Banner show. (Most boring Marvel character ever maybe?) But if they try the same thing in another Hulk movie be prepared for the audience to again lose interest. ("Wait....why is this boring? He was great in Avengers!")

We actually spend most of our time talking about who plays Banner....there's your problem. I am glad Norton is gone though....didn't care for him as Banner.

I say your 2nd list is the only one that counts. I don't believe in "objectively better" in art. The way it effects us as individuals is all that matters. No other opinion is relevant in art.

Not necessarily. If a movie has better pacing, better dialogue, more consistent story, better character development, better visual effects, etc. then it would be fair to say that that movie is better than a movie that doesn't have all those things, even if you enjoy the movie that lacks those things more than the movie that doesn't.

I mean I'm not big on one or two of the cast members but overall I really like it and think its criminally underrated.

I thought it was pretty good, but the plot/villain were kind of "meh" and forgettable.

I liked the movie, way better than Ang Lee's Hulk but I can't think of anything else about it, it's one of those movies that I have on DVD that I occasionally watch.

I think it was definitely better than hulk, but they could have picked a better villain.

It's one of my top 10 favorite comic book movies. It wasn't perfect, but it was an improvement on '03's Hulk, which is also vastly underrated.

My problems with TIH comes more from the design choices they made. If the Hulk had looked as good in TIH as he did in The Avengers and if the Abomination had half way looked like the Abomination, then I would have liked it much more. It is my least favorite of the 6 Marvel Studios films, but something has to be last - and I do like it more than many other Marvel movies by other studios...

It's a good movie. I watched it a lot closely recently, and I really enjoyed it. They miscast Blonsky, though, which is one of the few bad things I could say about the film.

Not necessarily. If a movie has better pacing, better dialogue, more consistent story, better character development, better visual effects, etc. then it would be fair to say that that movie is better than a movie that doesn't have all those things, even if you enjoy the movie that lacks those things more than the movie that doesn't.
There is where you run into trouble.

What are "better pacing, better dialogue, better story, better character development, better visual effects, etc"? Those things do not really exist in art. "Better" is entirely up the individual. The movie you like better is the better movie...but ONLY to you. What other people think of a movie is 100% irrelevant. You can be the only person on the entire planet to love a movie and that movie is still good to you. No matter how many numbers are quoted at you claiming to prove how "wrong" you are to love that movie, it doesn't matter...the movie is still good to you.

We always run into trouble when we try to rank art. It can't be done. We fail each and every time we try it. No matter how many lists we make, how many critics we enlist, how many awards we give out....no one ever puts their personal preferences in the order of how they fall with those attempts. (and in fact every one of those attempts puts art in a different "ranking" anyway) "Awards season" is pretty amusing that way. No one is ever happy with the results. "The Academy is full of crap as usual! What a joke!"

Yet...even though we see the attempt to judge quality in art fail again and again, we still continue to tell ourselves it can be done.

My problems with TIH comes more from the design choices they made. If the Hulk had looked as good in TIH as he did in The Avengers and if the Abomination had half way looked like the Abomination, then I would have liked it much more. It is my least favorite of the 6 Marvel Studios films, but something has to be last - and I do like it more than many other Marvel movies by other studios...
Yeah that really bugged me that they didn't want to give any nod to the Abominations counter part in having a more reptile look. It would have also been great if those scenes with Ty Burnell were added in the theatric cut if they wanted to bring back any of the cast from that movie I would ask for him, and maybe William Hurt.

William Hurt was perfect as Ross - he should be like Fury and turn up in many of the Marvel movies...

No he shouldn't. The Hurt version of Ross was a complete one-note cardboard cutout. He's absolutely useless for anything other than "Rar rar! I hate the Hulk!"

I'd still expect Ross to show up in an Incredible Hulk 2, although not the main antagonist again (I assume they will go with the Leader for IH2, but who knows...).

A lot of people have said they don't like how little Hulk talks in any film he's been in. Quite honestly, I feel like he spoke TOO MUCH in the early comics. My god man, shut your Hulk mouth once in a while.

hulk1.jpg

But it is funny that I can count every one of Hulk's lines in three movies on both hands. Assuming I didn't forget any:

AngHulk
"Puny human"
TIH
"Leave me alone"
"Hulk smash!"
"Betty"
TA
"Your life?" (while transforming)
"Puny God"

In the 2003 Hulk, he also said, "Take it all!"

I'm surprised in the 2003 one he did t say hulk smash.

And in The Avengers he says, "Nooooo! Stoooooppp!!!" when the fighter jet shoots him during the Thor fight. Or should I say, he "roared" it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"