Wii for $229, November 12??

Spidey-Bat said:
1) How much easier can it be? Nintendo isn't pulling a Microsoft, they're going to have a supply to satisfy the demand.

I like nintendo just as much as anyone on this thread, but at launch, there is always going to be difference between the number of people who want a system and the actual number of systems out there. It's happened with every nintendo system to date (with the possible exceptions of the NES and Gameboy, I was too young to remember those), just like the PS1 and PS2. This stops company's from losing too much money in Q4 because of the hit taken on systems, not to mention the amount of hype that builds around them during the shortage period.

Spidey-Bat said:
1) How much easier can it be? Nintendo isn't pulling a Microsoft, they're going to have a supply to satisfy the demand.

2) By the time SSBB comes out, that will be the only new game worth buying immediately other than some launch titles.

3) You can never waste time playing a Wii. Never.

Was Wind Waker your first Zelda game? If it was, you started out on the wrong foot. Wind Waker is a great game, but not the best to start the Zelda series with. It was much longer than most other Zeldas, mainly due to the tedious travel (I still loved it, but there were times I just wanted to skip it). If you have not played Ocarina of Time, you are severely deprived. You cannot call yourself a gamer having never played that. Even if you end up hating it, you have to have atleast played it.
1. meh, it might sell out still.

2. we don't have a solid ssbb release date, so who knows how many games are out by then?

3. ok, perhaps not waste. but spending time to play wii is something i can't afford, especially with college apps and final SAT's coming soon.

WHEEE!!! WHE WII IS CHEAP!!! $229 Is way cheaper than the $599 bucks Blu-Ray player... Heck I can Buy 2 WIIs and I've got $141 bucks to spend on games instead of buying one PS3... but Why would I want 2 Wii's... anyway, Wii's $229 dollars!!!!

jaydawg said:
I totally agree. I'm getting a Wii right at launch and gamewise, I'm not worried in the slightest. Hell, I've got Eternal Darkness, Hulk:UA, 007:EoN, LoZ:WW, NFS:Underground, Metroid Prime, all three Spider-man titles, Wolverine's Revenge, X-men Legends 2, Soul Calibur 2, Resident Evil 4, Sonic Adventure 2, SSB:Melee and Viewtiful Joe, so I've already got 16 games to play, not to mention how cheap other GC titles will become after Wii is released- MGS:Twin Snakes and Mario Kart, I'm looking at you, so theres no need to worry about game shortages. Plus, the controllers are backward compatable too.

But, I want a 360 for the stuff the Wii cant do. Theres no way Dead Rising could work on Wii. Lost Planet wouldnt be as beautiful. And frankly, Live kicks all kinds of ass. But price affordability is a big factor in my Wii purchase. So thats why its not being 199 kinda stings. And thats why I'm going to wait a while to get the 360. Its got to be at least 250... and thats the preimum.

And on top of all these games, I have several games I'm buying when the Wii is released.

Metroid Prime 3
Raymond: RR
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers
Excite Truck
Wii Sports
Panga Golf
Wario Ware
Sonic: Wildfire

Not to mention all the Virtual Consolle games.:up:

What I like about the controller is that it is making me want to use it to play games that normally I wouldn't be interested in in the slightest.:D

The Riddler said:
2. we don't have a solid ssbb release date, so who knows how many games are out by then?

SSBB is in Q1 07. The only other thing that may come out before it is Mario Galaxy, but that's not really likely, IMO.

TheEvolutionist said:
I like nintendo just as much as anyone on this thread, but at launch, there is always going to be difference between the number of people who want a system and the actual number of systems out there. It's happened with every nintendo system to date (with the possible exceptions of the NES and Gameboy, I was too young to remember those), just like the PS1 and PS2. This stops company's from losing too much money in Q4 because of the hit taken on systems, not to mention the amount of hype that builds around them during the shortage period.

Nintendo's already stated that there isn't going to a huge running deficit from the Wii. I don't know a lot about corporate finance, but I'll trust what you say to be true. That means Nintendo could create more systems, possibily enough to fulfill demand, without having to worry about the bottom line.
Another thing you shouldn't forget: Nintendo, unlike Microsoft, doesn't have to rely soley on its console to bring in the money. They have a tremendously successful portable on the market right now, and that's bringing in cash by the truckload. Basically, more $=more consoles available, which in turn, =more $

Future Prez said:
Nintendo's already stated that there isn't going to a huge running deficit from the Wii. I don't know a lot about corporate finance, but I'll trust what you say to be true. That means Nintendo could create more systems, possibily enough to fulfill demand, without having to worry about the bottom line.
Another thing you shouldn't forget: Nintendo, unlike Microsoft, doesn't have to rely soley on its console to bring in the money. They have a tremendously successful portable on the market right now, and that's bringing in cash by the truckload. Basically, more $=more consoles available, which in turn, =more $

Alright, I will admit that I didn't check to see if they had released any info on how much of a hit they were taking, its kind of a general rule. The other thing that could strain inventories, however, is the price difference between the Wii and the two other systems. It's called "Grandma Syndrome". If someone who doesn't know anything about gaming, they're going to be looking for the best deal. The salesperson mentions the price and the completely new control system, and the customer goes with it, whether they were told what to get or not. This was also the reasoning behind the 360's name (Why buy an Xbox 2 when you can buy a Playstation 3).

Heh, like Jaydawg and a few others posted, I'm a little disappointed that the system will be $230. Actually, I posted that same remark a few days ago when this thread first showed up, but the Hype! crashed and it didn't post.

I know, it's just $30... I spend more than that on parking alone on a Saturday night... but it's still the principal of the thing. I guess I shouldn'tve really expected a $200 price tag... in fact, I budgeted $275 total for the system... but regardless, I was really hoping that Nintendo would go for the $200 mark here.

Either way, it'll still allow me a purchase on launch day with all the accessories I could want without my wife giving me the eye... and possibly even a 360 before the year is out.... though I realistically won't play it as much considering the launch titles for Wii.

I doubt Sony is gonna get my money this gen. Too bad.

I'm giving IGN and their sources the benefit of the doubt here, despite past reports saying conflicting things... it does sound correct. I hope to be corrected though... but if not, it won't really change much for me. I still plan on owning one on opening day.

This is a really cheap price for a next gen game system. I think the wii will do really well but i think the "wiimote" gimmick will run thin fast. They will need a good gaming line up in order to stay strong. Nintendo seems to lose 3rd party support for each system. If they dont figure something out, the wii will suffer the same fate as the gamecube. Its a shame too because IMO minus the lack of online play and great gaming line up, the gamecube had potential to be a great system.

TrailerCues said:
Wii has a hell of alot more support then gamecube ever had dude

Yeah I know and thats a good thing. Lets just hope it stays like that. Its just a shame that developers turned there backs to nintendo. I mean sure the 64 was a bad system because of the whole cartridge thing, but there were some great games on it. Everyone jumped on the ps1 band wagon. Same with the Dreamcast. It was a really good system. You could even web browse on it. There hasnt been a system since thats does that (I think). But there was not enough third party support. Now that sony is charging $600 for the system and development costs have gone up, they are finding it hard to create games. Now they are all flocking back to the the big N. Its just funny how business works.

Kipobe said:
I'm giving IGN and their sources the benefit of the doubt here, despite past reports saying conflicting things... it does sound correct. I hope to be corrected though... but if not, it won't really change much for me. I still plan on owning one on opening day.
Same here. I know its only $30, hell every night I go out I spend at least $60 myself, but still, the principle stands. Those extra 30 could have been a controller or part of the cost for Twilight Princess, Red Steel, Rayman, Wii Sports or Ultimate Alliance and a host of other games. :(

But then again, the promise of two wiimotes is within itself a great thing. We haven't had two controllers since SNES :word:

I don't mind that it is $230 (if it even is). It's still cheaper than a 360 and PS3. The extra $30 does suck and it ends Nintendo's streak of $200 at launch. I suppose it's better than $250. That extra cost is a new game whereas this may just be a controller.

You all must remember that this is still just (very much likely true) rumors from developers

Wow.
Wii for cheap is very nice. :D

Kipobe said:
But then again, the promise of two wiimotes is within itself a great thing. We haven't had two controllers since SNES :word:
Not so...

88_2.jpg

Kipobe said:
Wait.... theres two controllers? Well, in that case, I'm not mad at all. I was planning on getting two wiimotes at launch anyways. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"