WiiU - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id actually wait. I have a strong feeling Nintendo will do an official price cut this fall by the time the other consoles are out and besides BF is only 3 months away and the deals will be even better (better price, game bundles, accessories, etc..). Saving $50 now wont be worth it unless you REALLY need a Wii U

BF? Battlefield?

I just don't see them dropping the price more than $50. It's possible, but since they're already selling it at a slight loss, I just don't expect anything more than that. I was trying to think of things they could bundle it with, but I came up with a blank. Super Mario 3D Land and Wind Waker HD are the only two possibilities, maybe the DK game, too. None of those interest me a whole lot. The Wonderful 101 is calling, a sweet siren's song playing gently in the night.

BF? Battlefield?

I just don't see them dropping the price more than $50. It's possible, but since they're already selling it at a slight loss, I just don't expect anything more than that. I was trying to think of things they could bundle it with, but I came up with a blank. Super Mario 3D Land and Wind Waker HD are the only two possibilities, maybe the DK game, too. None of those interest me a whole lot. The Wonderful 101 is calling, a sweet siren's song playing gently in the night.
Black Friday. If Nintendo officially drops the price by $50, you'll still get retailers which will offer incentives like the gift cards that BB (and Target are offering), meaning a savings of $100 over the current MSRP.

There are any number of games that could be bundled with it on BF. I wouldnt be surprised to see a Wii U deluxe with a game or 2 for like $250.

Oh, yeah, I'm sure there'll be deals for Black Friday. But that's November, son. The Wonderful 101 is out in early September. My original plan was to buy the game anyway, and wait for around that time anyway. I may stick to that still, but I don't know...W101 is pretty close to a system seller for me.

I never even heard of that. I didnt realize that was a game. Yeah, this isnt likely to get a price drop in a month, nor will BF savings. If you cant wait 3 months, then by all means jump on the gift card deals now.

Yep, it is a game, it is the game, made by Platinum Games. I may still wait, you make rational points. Just hate that I'll be sitting on my most anticipated game of the year for over two months.

It was such an odd thing with this latest Nintendo Direct in how they made Luigi in Smash seem like some kind of announcement.

YearofLuigilogo.png

Ok so apparently there's something coming this Friday

New Nintendo Direct To Focus On The Wonderful 101 This Friday. August 7, 2013 . 8:30am

A Nintendo Direct presentation will be streamed this week on August 9th, focusing exclusively on The Wonderful 101, Nintendo have announced.

Another Nintendo Direct presentation will be streamed this week on August 9th, focusing exclusively on The Wonderful 101, Nintendo have announced. Here are the timings for each region, along with streaming links:

Nintendo Direct U.S. – 7 am PST
Nintendo Direct EU – 4 pm CST
Nintendo Direct JP – 11 pm JST

source:Siliconera

so stay tuned for that.

Very doubtful. It was already quite popular (each installment sold over 1 million copies), and it's not the kind of game that's going to cross over to the Halo/COD fanbase, if that's what you're implying. I'm not sure what you mean by a decent push either. It was marketed pretty well from what I recall, and they put a really hard push into Other M, though that one didn't pan out very well.

The problem isn't that Nintendo doesn't do these things. They do. Bayonetta 2, Eternal Darkness, Geist, Xenoblade Chronicles are/were all Nintendo funded titles/IPs that fit what you describe. I'm sure there's others, too. They just don't put the kind of effort they ultimately should into it. But then again, all the above mentioned games (with the exclusion of B2, since it's not out yet) were either bombs or underperformed. It's a bit of a cop out to put it all on Nintendo's outdated practices, when every time they do what you suggest, it burns them to a varying degree.

Metroid is the red headed step child of the nintendo franchises. A mature title in a kiddie system. Put the franchise in xbox 15 years ago and were talking about something far more elaborate, supported and succesful today. Nintendo is not interested in Metroid because it doesnt sell and metroid doesnt sell well because nintendo isnt able to sell consoles to people who would be interested in these titles. They get most of what they want through xbox or PS. The nintendo system lacks variety to accomodate the mature users that fund the console ecosystem. Not only you have to overcome that, but also the fact the brand has developed the kiddie stigma that is not going to allow it to gain any market share.

These games dont fare well in a nintendo system simply because the system is not geared towards the people that would be interested in these titles. The exact same reason 3rd party has decided to leave nintendo to rot this time around. Whats the point of porting to a system that your target customers are not interested in purchasing? Whats the point in buying a console that doesnt carry the kind of titles you are interested in? The average gamer is not going to be interested in buying a product that alienates their interests. Theyve cultivated this culture to their system for years and now not only have they lost most of their core users, but continue to ignore the real market that funds console systems. Now the wiiu is tanking and people still wonder why.

If they can give me a console that competes with the other guys in terms of titles so that the bonus is playng franchises like mario, metroid and zelda im there over xbox and ps, but that is not something nintendo can or will be willing to do as long as their current CEO is there.

You're making a lot of claims there. Nintendo doesn't have major third party support because of its policies, and the fact that it's console is really underpowered. The few popular third party games they do have like, sell quite well. Look at Resident Evil for example.

If the Wii could have actually run games like... Grand Theft Auto IV, there's little to suggest that it would have sold significantly worse on that system. Since there are more Wii's than 360's or PS3's, it might have even been the same amount, if not more.

So, these games would fare well, if Nintendo's consoles could actually run them.

The Wonderful 101 looks kind of neat the more I watch of it. Minus the QTEs.

Metroid is the red headed step child of the nintendo franchises. A mature title in a kiddie system. Put the franchise in xbox 15 years ago and were talking about something far more elaborate, supported and succesful today. Nintendo is not interested in Metroid because it doesnt sell and metroid doesnt sell well because nintendo isnt able to sell consoles to people who would be interested in these titles. They get most of what they want through xbox or PS. The nintendo system lacks variety to accomodate the mature users that fund the console ecosystem. Not only you have to overcome that, but also the fact the brand has developed the kiddie stigma that is not going to allow it to gain any market share.

Uh, I think you missed the point where I said each of the Prime series installments sold over a million copies. And this was GC era, before budgets started going haywire. Other M was a disappointment in that regard, but it still wasn't a total financial bomb. Going back even farther than that, Super Metroid sold insanely well for the time. So, huh? There's some truth that it doesn't get the same spotlight as the AAAs, such as Mario and Zelda. But plenty of other franchises also get that kind of treatment, such as Kirby and Fire Emblem.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by more elaborate. The Prime games are incredibly complex and elaborate, though also being simple to navigate. Again, I'm getting this idea that you're trying to lump in Metroid with the likes of Halo or COD, and it's not. Have you played the Prime games? Or any of the other games in the franchise?

These games dont fare well in a nintendo system simply because the system is not geared towards the people that would be interested in these titles. The exact same reason 3rd party has decided to leave nintendo to rot this time around. Whats the point of porting to a system that your target customers are not interested in purchasing? Whats the point in buying a console that doesnt carry the kind of titles you are interested in? The average gamer is not going to be interested in buying a product that alienates their interests. Theyve cultivated this culture to their system for years and now not only have they lost most of their core users, but continue to ignore the real market that funds console systems. Now the wiiu is tanking and people still wonder why.

If they can give me a console that competes with the other guys in terms of titles so that the bonus is playng franchises like mario, metroid and zelda im there over xbox and ps, but that is not something nintendo can or will be willing to do as long as their current CEO is there.

Eh, I don't feel like going into this argument honestly. You're making some good points in some ways, so I'll just leave it at that.

Oh, and Wonderful 101 is something every single Wii U user should buy. But they won't, probably only about a 100K will. Sad times. But at least it's happening.

New Nintendo eShop releases: DuckTales Remastered, Dream Team, Spin the Bottle

(28 minutes ago)

On this week's eShop menu, there's a fine-looking Wii U dish in DuckTales, which has been Remastered for modern tastes. Maybe pick that up with a 2013 vintage of Spin the Bottle, which we recommend sharing with a few lively friends. If you'd prefer something to go, you could always try a double helping of Italian with Mario & Luigi: Dream Team on 3DS.

Wii U
3DS
source:Joystiq

Nintendo used to get all the top multiplatform stuff as well as their own great games and with the best exclusives (also being most unique) they were automatically in with a chance of winning each generation. Don't know why they changed this approach. I was just as into the likes of Street Fighter II & Super Star Wars on SNES as Super Mario World, Mario Kart & StarFox.

I'm still not 100% sold on Wonderful 101. It looks pretty fun and interesting, but with GTAV coming out in September as well, I've got to be a bit smarter with my game purchases. I can't afford two $60 games a month. This Wonderful 101 Nintendo Direct will have to really blow my mind in order for me to make this a day one purchase.

Nintendo used to get all the top multiplatform stuff as well as their own great games and with the best exclusives (also being most unique) they were automatically in with a chance of winning each generation. Don't know why they changed this approach. I was just as into the likes of Street Fighter II & Super Star Wars on SNES as Super Mario World, Mario Kart & StarFox.

It was less them changing and more 3rd parties and the market changing. They were notoriously difficult to work with in that era. They had censorship and higher fees for publishing than Sega. The censorship dropped, but the fees thing remained until the end. They mainly got away with it because they had a solid lead in the market. When Sony entered the market, the competition got stronger, and the N64 was also known as an incredibly difficult machine to develop for, making a lot of 3rd parties just throw up their hands and go to the much easier to develop for PlayStation. Nintendo couldn't get away with being difficult this time because Sony was gaining ground quickly, even if Sega was slowly dying.

Post-N64 Nintendo has become easier to work with, but they still have this style of beating to their own beat. The GC, for instance, had an awkwardly designed controller and minidiscs that made porting more of a hassle than should be. Then of course the Wii went totally against the grain to mainstream development of 3rd parties despite being a massive success.

It's a build up of things over the year.

I'm still not 100% sold on Wonderful 101. It looks pretty fun and interesting, but with GTAV coming out in September as well, I've got to be a bit smarter with my game purchases. I can't afford two $60 games a month. This Wonderful 101 Nintendo Direct will have to really blow my mind in order for me to make this a day one purchase.

Understandable. I don't care about GTA, and I'm sure W101 will be a far better than GTAV on a technical level, but I get the more mainstream appeal it has. I hope you consider W101 for the future, though. If you like action games at all, I'm sure it'll be a blast.

I'm on the fence with wonderful 101 just looks so quirky

It was less them changing and more 3rd parties and the market changing. They were notoriously difficult to work with in that era. They had censorship and higher fees for publishing than Sega. The censorship dropped, but the fees thing remained until the end. They mainly got away with it because they had a solid lead in the market. When Sony entered the market, the competition got stronger, and the N64 was also known as an incredibly difficult machine to develop for, making a lot of 3rd parties just throw up their hands and go to the much easier to develop for PlayStation. Nintendo couldn't get away with being difficult this time because Sony was gaining ground quickly, even if Sega was slowly dying.

Post-N64 Nintendo has become easier to work with, but they still have this style of beating to their own beat. The GC, for instance, had an awkwardly designed controller and minidiscs that made porting more of a hassle than should be. Then of course the Wii went totally against the grain to mainstream development of 3rd parties despite being a massive success.

It's a build up of things over the year.
Yeah I guess so. It's a shame as these 3 current console manufacturers are my 3 favourites and Nintendo have the most history & tradition. I'd take any of them a long way before a new entrant like Apple or Google with zero gaming nostalgia but I don't know if there's room for all 3 to do well without something special like the motion control boost the wii experienced.

Understandable. I don't care about GTA, and I'm sure W101 will be a far better than GTAV on a technical level, but I get the more mainstream appeal it has. I hope you consider W101 for the future, though. If you like action games at all, I'm sure it'll be a blast.

I definitely want W101, but I'll buy GTAV first. I have a birthday in October so it'll probably be the next month when I get it.

Why Nintendo doesn't try to get GTA V on the Wii U, is anyone's guess. It's one of the last big third party titles they can support. Rockstar even said it's an option.

I don't think GTAV would be a system seller for the Wii U though. At this point they people that are gonna play GTAV probably already have their consoles and are ready to go.

Debatable. It's bound to sell some. It won't be a true killer app, obviously, but it's a great game for the library that desperately needs more games like it. Nintendo needs it more than Rockstar.

I don't think GTAV would be a system seller for the Wii U though. At this point they people that are gonna play GTAV probably already have their consoles and are ready to go.
IA on this. It'll sell to the people that already own the Wii U, but not many people are going to go out and buy a Wii U to play it bc like you said, people already have a console to play it. A Wii U would have to have some type of substantial exclusive content but even then that would likely only be timed exclusive (ex. GTA's expansions on 360)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"