Will MOS Be A Standalone Film Or A Trilogy?

I agree.

It's weird because Zack Snyder is one of my favourite directors. '300' and 'Watchmen' hold two of the spots in my Top 5 movies of all time... So I obviously love his style.

And yet when directors names where being thrown around, I HATED the idea of Snyder. Because I kept picturing a cgi heavy, stylised film with loads of fantasy stuff crammed into it. It's only since listening to him talk about it, that my fear of that has mostly gone away.

The funny thing is, I like Nolan's films as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't be so happy if I knew this movie was solely his idea, or he was directing. I'd be afraid it'd be too serious, too detatched.

It is the combination of people that has me excited.

David Goyer's idea (because I think we works really well as an ideas man, and he knows and loves the comics)

Nolan's contriubution and help with said idea, and commitment to it's production, overlooking it's quality.

Synder's flair for stunning visuals, casting choices and ability to bring out 'hearty' performances from his actors (if that word makes sense :funny:, it's just the best one I can think of to describe what I mean).

Additional contributions from other writers giving the script a polish.

Now that's a winning combination :)

I agree. Snyder and Nolan are both a good balance to have for this.
I still have yet to see 300, mainly because I dont know one person personally that has anything good to say about it, but that never stopped me before so Ill check it out...one of these days.
Ive seen Dawn of the Dead and Watchman, both were very good, I particularly loved Watchman right up until that horrible ending.

Infact one of the biggest reasons why Watchman was good was because, aside from the ending which I really hated, it was so close to the original source material it would have been hard to screw it up. It good to fallow the comic, but when you do it THAT much its almost like cheating. So he decided to add his own original ending, and it was quite horrible. This is where Nolan and Goyer are very important.

Nolan and Goyers idea of making Batman trained by TLOS was genius. It was a very creative original twist that worked out very well. Ive never heard a person complain about it, but truth be told its nothing like Batmans real origin, it just works out. They fallowed the comics in other areas though. So with Nolan and Goyer being the creative idea men, and Snyder with his great visual story telling (with the exception of the over use of slow motion, which I hope hes learned to do in moderation), this team can create something that will blow us away.

I don't want a trilogy, I want many films just like the HP films. Maybe start with trilogy, after that a part one and part 2......why does it just have to be a trilogy? If MOS is a success, why be limited to just a trilogy? Superman has a vast array of stories to be told....there's just so much potential to really, truly break the chains off, and really become something special

The problem is that HP was a limited well rounded story with a limited number of books. Suiperman has decades of different stories and you can even get something completely new for the movies.

And every time - every single time - they try to make as many movies as they can, they end up screwing everything sooner than later.

But with a trilogy you can have a winner. Great story where writers don't just try to stretch everything to no end.

I for one know I am getting very sick of the typical superhero trilogy. Its too unoriginal now. After Nolan is done with his Batman Trilogy, I want somebody to go the next step. Maybe Man of Steel, maybe the new Spiderman, something. A 5 film series would be something, of course there is an issue with that many films because the more you make the more likely it will get ugly, but it can be done with the right time and with the right team taking the right amount of time and not feeling pressure to release a movie ever 2 years. Somebody has to do it. Somebody has to stand up

I don't think the cast and crew would want to make 5 movies. The cast would probably get too old, and the story will probably stagnate. The good thing with trilogies is that there, should be, at least a clear and defined beginning middle and end, it's what I liked about Vaughn's pitch if I'm honest. I'd rather they make a few outstanding films rather than a lot of mediocre to poor films.

Anyway, let's not forget that X-Men is still going, but at least has the advantage of a rotating cast, and Downey Jr. said he'd keep doing Iron Man films.

Yeah X Men is still going.....and pretty badly lol. I cant stand X Men beyond X2. Yes, I said I dont like First Class. I am one of the very few.
I guess I just proved YOUR point, that past a trilogy things get messy. Still, somebody needs to have the courage to do it. The problem is having changing directors etc etc. That screws everything up. The first 2 X Men were great. and if Bryan Singer had stayed it likely that that X3 would have been very good, and most certainly better than what we got at least.

Yeah X Men is still going.....and pretty badly lol. I cant stand X Men beyond X2. Yes, I said I dont like First Class. I am one of the very few.
I guess I just proved YOUR point, that past a trilogy things get messy. Still, somebody needs to have the courage to do it. The problem is having changing directors etc etc. That screws everything up. The first 2 X Men were great. and if Bryan Singer had stayed it likely that that X3 would have been very good, and most certainly better than what we got at least.

It’s one thing with having the courage of doing something innovating if they have a plan to back it up. Like others have said, most actors wouldn’t want to stay attached to a franchise for that long and by the time the third film arrives, it’d be reasonable to assume that bringing back most of the main cast would be expensive if their popularity has risen since; not to mention that they wouldn’t be getting any younger.

Also, unless the story was planned out from the beginning to be a saga instead of a trilogy, it’d be difficult to keep coming up with stronger threats that don’t feel repetitive and such. Trilogies imho follow the three act structure of any story, hence why they work: They have a beginning, middle, and end.

For me, it's quality over quantity.

It’s one thing with having the courage of doing something innovating if they have a plan to back it up. Like others have said, most actors wouldn’t want to stay attached to a franchise for that long and by the time the third film arrives, it’d be reasonable to assume that bringing back most of the main cast would be expensive if their popularity has risen since; not to mention that they wouldn’t be getting any younger.

Also, unless the story was planned out from the beginning to be a saga instead of a trilogy, it’d be difficult to keep coming up with stronger threats that don’t feel repetitive and such. Trilogies imho follow the three act structure of any story, hence why they work: They have a beginning, middle, and end.

For me, it's quality over quantity.

You know, I agree with that statement 100%.
Its not that Im expecting an epic 5 Man of Steel movies, I guess its just a dream I have. Im just saying, anything is possible. However, that being said you are right. I would prefer an epic 2 films to a good first 2 and than a terrible 3 that ruin the whole series. If a trilogy, or even 1 film is what it takes for that, so be it

You know, I agree with that statement 100%.
Its not that Im expecting an epic 5 Man of Steel movies, I guess its just a dream I have. Im just saying, anything is possible. However, that being said you are right. I would prefer an epic 2 films to a good first 2 and than a terrible 3 that ruin the whole series. If a trilogy, or even 1 film is what it takes for that, so be it

True.lol The only way I see a Superman Movie franchise being made into a Saga like “Star Wars” or “Harry Potter” is if they use each film out of, let’s say, 6 films to cover a specific point in Clark’s life. Heck, it could be like what Marc Webb (I think it was him), had in mind about covering every part of Superman’s ENTIRE LIFE, where the first film could start out with covering the final days of Krypton, second one could focus on Clark’s youth, third one could focus on Clark becoming Superman, fourth one could encounter Clark’s first battle with some of his greatest foes, etc.

I for one know I am getting very sick of the typical superhero trilogy. Its too unoriginal now. After Nolan is done with his Batman Trilogy, I want somebody to go the next step. Maybe Man of Steel, maybe the new Spiderman, something. A 5 film series would be something, of course there is an issue with that many films because the more you make the more likely it will get ugly, but it can be done with the right time and with the right team taking the right amount of time and not feeling pressure to release a movie ever 2 years. Somebody has to do it. Somebody has to stand up

As far as I know, Nolan's Batman is the only superhero trilogy. How can that be too much?

The rest are just franchises that were screwed in the third movie.

But the superhero franchises that are only about seuqels. Well, I'm sick of that since it is always the case and they NEVER end up well.

But, as you say, the more movies they do the uglier everything gets. That's when the idea is to stretch everything without an aim but only keep making sequels.

And the "right time, right team and right amount of time without pressure" thing does simply not exist.

Not every genre movie is required to be a trilogy nor is it actually planned as one contrary to what they say out loud.

George Lucas was making it up as he went along with the original Star Wars trilogy.

As far as I know, Nolan's Batman is the only superhero trilogy. How can that be too much?

The rest are just franchises that were screwed in the third movie.

But the superhero franchises that are only about seuqels. Well, I'm sick of that since it is always the case and they NEVER end up well.

But, as you say, the more movies they do the uglier everything gets. That's when the idea is to stretch everything without an aim but only keep making sequels.

And the "right time, right team and right amount of time without pressure" thing does simply not exist.

As I said after my rant, Im not expecting it to happen in all practicality. Its kind of a dream I have, for either this or the new Spiderman. I dont really expect it, and also as I said I do prefer quality to quantity. I guess I forget that for a moment. 1 great Superman is better that 1 good one and 5 that are ehh. I do think, however, somebody will want to push the limit one day. When and what CBM idk, but it will happen.
We have a few CBM trilogies, Nolans (The only one so far I feel good about), X Men, and Spiderman.
With X Men what the did was started making prequels, which is typical these days, and Spiderman they decided to reboot it entirely. Both of those things are becoming a bit to common. We make 3 movies and make a prequel our reboot. Its becoming a Golden rule, and if its not annoying yet it probably will get there soon enough.

Ofcourse id rather have quality over quantity, but like film said, they could make it as they go along...also I know most of the cast wouldn't want to keep coming back, but if they love the direction and perhaps they're role, maybe they might wanna come back. I would have loved a saga with supes though man:(...anyway..... that Marc Webb idea if thats him who said it, would have have been a great idea IMO......but we shall see how MOS turns out, then we will have a better idea where they're going with this

I'm going to be honest. I just don't this film spawning a triology. Maybe two sequels where they'll have to reboot after the second one, but not a triology.

I guess it probably sounds like Im schizophrenic on the issue, and in all honestly I am. If Snyder and Nolan put together an amazing consistently good Man Of Steel Trilogy, Im not going to want to complain. Quality over quantity. At the same time, if that team of Snyder Nolan and Goyer turns out consistently good, I would love to see them go the extra mile and put out something else. Test the limits I guess. Something thats not just a prequel. A good saga with many parts to keep people entertained for a long time. I know its not that practical though.
In the end, well see what happens.....

I agree.

It's weird because Zack Snyder is one of my favourite directors. '300' and 'Watchmen' hold two of the spots in my Top 5 movies of all time... So I obviously love his style.

And yet when directors names where being thrown around, I HATED the idea of Snyder. Because I kept picturing a cgi heavy, stylised film with loads of fantasy stuff crammed into it. It's only since listening to him talk about it, that my fear of that has mostly gone away.

The funny thing is, I like Nolan's films as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't be so happy if I knew this movie was solely his idea, or he was directing. I'd be afraid it'd be too serious, too detatched.

It is the combination of people that has me excited.

David Goyer's idea (because I think we works really well as an ideas man, and he knows and loves the comics)

Nolan's contriubution and help with said idea, and commitment to it's production, overlooking it's quality.

Synder's flair for stunning visuals, casting choices and ability to bring out 'hearty' performances from his actors (if that word makes sense :funny:, it's just the best one I can think of to describe what I mean).

Additional contributions from other writers giving the script a polish.

Now that's a winning combination :)

Agreed; it's like someone finally heard our prays to bring in the best creative minds without egos clashing to give us that Superman fans both deserve and need:oldrazz::woot:

Snyder's Visuals and Nolan's/Goyer's Story/Screenplay with exceptional cast that we have, things are really looking well for Superman in the film franchise and we haven't even seen footage yet.

I do hope that those three remain on board for future intakes; if there are any additions in the creative team for future sequels, I wouldn't mind seeing Jonathan Nolan come on board as well.

I just hope this movie is awesome, but I would hate it if right after it Nolan decides ok Im done with superhero/cbm movies for a while time to move on to other things, and than Snyder goes and makes the sequel himself. I literally just got finished watching Watchman 3 minutes ago, for the 4th time, (its been about a year since Ive seen it) and I noticed more flaws with it than ever, which sucks because the first 2 times I really loved it.
Still, its better than the average CBM has been this past decade, IMO.

Last edited:
The worst thing I noticed was with Characterization. It was a good deal worse than I remembered. Every one of them seemed reduced compared to what they were in the novel. The actors wernt good either except for Haley and maybe Morgan.
I wont complain too much about Malin Akerman, because as terrible of an actor she is, shes my b****. More of a problem than her acting was her character was under witten and reduced to nothing but a damsel in distress/girlfriend. Its like she was just there because they needed a female in the movie. Oh well.
Next, the deeper social and philosophical messages, which the novel had so much of, are hardly there. Snyder cared more about his cool action sequences than bringing those out in the story. Yeah they are there, but only the obvious things. He did a lot more to make things look nice for us on the surface rather than bring out the deep story elements in the film. It bothers me. When I first saw it, I noticed it but little. Second time same thing. Third time about a year ago is when it got bad, this time it was pretty intense. I still enjoyed the film, but man do I wish some of these problems were fixed.
To top it off, his visuals are cool but dont seem as great to me in that movie as people say or as I remember. Ive said it before, wayy to much use of slow motion. I like slow motion, but not overused. Also some of the CGI was pretty bad.....blaaah enough. Thats just how a feel about it. Those are the big flaws. I begin to notice them more every time I watch it. In the end My rating for this film when I first saw it was A-/b+ range. Now it feels B- pretty much.
After seeing Watchman again, I would say he can add some good flavors to MOS, but he cant have total control of it, and thankfully he dosnt.

Last edited:
I'm going to be honest. I just don't this film spawning a triology. Maybe two sequels where they'll have to reboot after the second one, but not a triology.

I dunno what to expect in that department. I can only imagine that every movie of this magnitude and potential is being looked at with sequels in mind. That's just how the business works I guess.

But if they're planning a direct trilogy is difficult to say, but again, I would imagine that they're thinking in a bigger context when they're doing the origin all over. I also think they might treat this as a replacement for the Batman- and Harry Potter-franchise.

I think I might actually lean towards a trilogy being planned. Or at least it's laid out looslely. It might not be with Snyder or even Goyer / Nolan, but I'd be surprised if WBs wasnt considering the bigger picture and not just as loose sequels. It all depends on MOS.

I want this film to be the defining Superman film. I like the Donner films but you gotta think about what can be done with todays technology. I don't care what anyone says, Snyder is an amazing visual storyteller, great imagination for the **** you'd wanna see in a Supes movie. Who is writing the script though?

If it deserves success it deserves success. If it doesn't it doesn't.

I want this film to be the defining Superman film. I like the Donner films but you gotta think about what can be done with todays technology. I don't care what anyone says, Snyder is an amazing visual storyteller, great imagination for the **** you'd wanna see in a Supes movie. Who is writing the script though?

If it deserves success it deserves success. If it doesn't it doesn't.

I guess Goyer wrote the script officially, but he and Nolan came up with the story. I guess both Nolans had a helping hand and I think maybe Snyder went through it as well, no?

I guess Goyer wrote the script officially, but he and Nolan came up with the story. I guess both Nolans had a helping hand and I think maybe Snyder went through it as well, no?

Well that, and it was said that Jonathan Nolan came in to make edits to the screenplay as well.

Chris Nolan and David Goyer wrote the story.
David Goyer wrote the first screenplay.
Jonah Nolan rewrote parts of that.
Kurtz Johnstad made final edits to it.

Right, Snyder's own Johnstad looked at it too.

As long as it hasnt been completely re-written by him and everybody just tweaked it here and there I'm pretty confident in this collaboration. How can this not be even moderately good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"