Will the DCCU be profitable?

Decepticonus

Sidekick
Reaction score
The budget of films today continue to rise. Remember when it cost WB only $48 million for Tim Burton to make a Batman film? When adjusted for inflation it would be close to $100 million today. Honestly, not that bad and relatively cheap when all the Marvel films average a budget a little less than $180 million, which would be even smaller if you remove the Iron Man sequels and Avengers films which all had $200 million budgets or more.
Now to get to the point, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice is stated to have a budget of $410 million. Again, that is $410 million!!!!, according to Latino Review.

Whereas a much older article from Hollywood Reporter thinks the budget is merely $200 million. But, I am leaning more towards the $410 million but not because I simply want to. You have Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman. Three large, expensive characters. Three characters with costs for their costumes, special effects, think about the Batmobile. Regardless of Doomsday looking cheap, I'm sure it's not and Ben Affleck had to raise the cost since he's a big actor. Now Forbes thinks it's possible that this large budget is compromised of a $250 million budget and $150 marketing campaign budget, which is possible. Regardless, both have to be huge. WB ain't pulling no punches and are willing to blow a lot of money on this.

Now with a $410m budget, the film simply needs to make roughly double its budget - so $820 million at the box office. A third of that ($273) goes to the theares, subtract the entire budget of $410m then the film's profit is $137 million, though not great but still a profit. But even then, does WB look at that in approval?

Or what if the production budget itself if $410 million? Since most of the time marketing campaign budgets are never included or even posted. With that said, the above numbers and calculations do not end in a profit but loss, where you need an additional $13 million just to break even. With all this said, in the end this film needs to do like Avatar numbers. Luckily it's out in March around the Spring Break time and has no competition at all. But regardless, this film still needs to make a biblical amount of money. It does if we want Justice League, Wonder Woman and so forth. Hell, one of the actors from Suicide Squad recently said that film's budget is north of $250 million. Really? They want to spend that much on a property that general audiences have no clue about? Though Forbes thinks the film will cost north of $100 million, but not at all over $200 million which I could maybe get behind.

In the end, is WB spending too much money on these films?

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice is stated to have a budget of $410 million., according to Latino Review.

5WtLJTT.jpg

Now on a serious note Batman v Superman does NOT have a budget of $410 million, way too high and unrealistic for Warner Bros to fork out that much on this film, so where's your proof? And i highly doubt that Latino Review of all folks is highly trustable on info like this.

So you have any other sources on that information or nah? Because we've already discussed and debunked this rumor on the Batman v Superman box office thread.

Last edited:
I have not, no and yes I don't really trust Latino Review. Nonetheless, I would assume the budget for this film has to be huge, right? Same time, ASM2 had a budget close to this combining its production and marketing budget it was roughly $400 million I believe.

And forgive me for not knowing of that being debunked I am not omniscient. You mind linking me directly to where it is debunked?

I would bet $410 million that the budget for DOJ wasn't $410 million.

But yes, I'm sure the movies will be profitable.

I would bet $410 million that the budget for DOJ wasn't $410 million.

But yes, I'm sure the movies will be profitable.

Fair enough, true or not about the budget, I'm just saying let's say it is the right number or that the budget itself is pretty damn large but not that number, can it make a profit? That's all I'm really asking.

My answer is yes. It just has to be good.

I have no doubts it will make money, I just hope the quality of films are good. That's probably my big complaint about the MCU they do something really awesome like Iron Man, Captain America TFA, The Avengers, Captain America TWS, GOTG & Ant-Man and some decent like TIH & Thor. But then we get poor to average stuff like Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor: TDW & Avengers AOU, for the amount of films there are to many that I will never revisit.

Didn't MoS almost make its production budget back in product placement alone?

Didn't MoS almost make its production budget back in product placement alone?

Ya no offense to op but they aren't factoring in the amount of money made off product placement

Not to mention toy sales!!! This movie gon make bank

It'll make 1b+ at the box office and then even more on product placement and toys

The movie will be very profitable

I doubt Batman v Superman cost $410 million. I think the budget was probably no more than $250 million.

As long as the budget for these movies don't spiral out of control they should be profitable.

You know the iHop and 7/Elevens Superman and Zod blew up? They paid to have those in there. These movies practically have free marketing.

I think this was the only Product Place I spotted in the trailers.
BVS2__0013_Layer-1.jpg

Any movie that makes a billion or more is going to make a healthy profit.

Especially once you add in home video, tv rights, and merchandising.

As a collective film universe, yes, without a doubt. As far as the indivudual films go per sae, the stand alone films will be I imagine as they are in other shared universes, less money made than in the joined heroes films, for example, I totally expect both JL films to make more than the individual, hero films, having said that, given we are seeing these guys separately for the first time, they too could make a fortune.

In all though, the DCCU in itself as a whole, will make billions.

There is no way this will not make large sums of money. Like insane amounts of money.

I'm also happy that people are sticking to "DCCU" rather than "DCEU". I mean, what's it expanding on? It's not comics or anything. It's silly they did that.

There is no way this will not make large sums of money. Like insane amounts of money.

I'm also happy that people are sticking to "DCCU" rather than "DCEU". I mean, what's it expanding on? It's not comics or anything. It's silly they did that.

I thought it stood for extended? I prefer DCCU but they are officially calling it DCEU so that's what we should call it.

I think DCEU is better, as it separates itself from something Marvel did, which is probably why WB chose it.

MCU makes no sense either considering the universe includes tv shows, which are not cinema.

I'm surprised how quickly WB is moving on the films going right into Wonder Woman and setting up Justice League for production shortly instead of the other way around but I think it's a necessary risk that will pay off. That being said, if Dawn of Justice bombs at the box office, no doubt there will be fewer super hero based movies coming out. They're so good at projecting how these films will do though and with the global box office, they know they're likely to break even to some degree despite whatever additional money spent on Dawn of Justice, which I'm guessing is an inflated estimate counting all other sorts of costs besides primary production costs.

What I'm surprised about is rumors concerning Teen Titans, solo Batman movie, Birds of Prey, and Justice League Dark in addition to the movies they've already gotten lined up. That's a lot of money on, with the exception of Batman, lesser known properties. Justice League Dark goes into production before Justice League. That would be something.

I think they're spending too much but then again doesn't every studio on blockbuster films? They'll keep going if they're able to. They're able to give it an initial push at least.

Last edited:
If anything, we probably just wouldn't see very many of those films directed by Snyder.

If BvS does bomb, I think it's reasonable to expect WB would cut back their slate a bit. But I don't see that as even a remote possibility.
Of course the DCEU will be profitable. That's almost a foregone conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"