Da Vinci Code Year's Most Profitable Movie

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
Monday, September 25 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pirates of the Caribbean may have made more money at the box office this year, but the most profitable film was The Da Vinci Code, according to a study by Monterey, CA-based Kagan Research. The report observed that while Disney's Pirates took in $418.8 million at the domestic box office -- nearly $200 million more than Sony's Code, the Sony movie had a budget that was $75 million lower than Disney's and had a far lower marketing budget. Kagan concluded that revenue for Code will be 3.2 times its cost to produce and market, while Pirates' will be 3.1 times its costs

Well I'm pretty surprised, but it makes sense.

DA Vinci Code having a lower markeing cost then Pirates. Seriously :huh:
I saw DVC marketed more then Pirates. With new trailers that were shown waaay in advance and tv spots .

It does make sense that DVC would make a bigger profit then Pirates , cause pirates did have a 225 million budget.
And another hit for Hanks ( guess those 20 million dollar pay days are still going strong )

3.2 instead of 3.1?

Those lucky bastards.

I remember the last time I owned a guy by making .1% more than him. Boy, was his face red.

This is just domestic. Pirates has grossed over 1 billion worldwide. Pirates wins.

Stewie Griffin said:
This is just domestic. Pirates has grossed over 1 billion worldwide. Pirates wins.

Actually it does inlcude the Worldwide Gross :
http://www.smartbrief.com/news/ctam/industryBW-detail.jsp?id=E53941A4-D7D9-485D-ABF6-B69B48490D48

Among the findings: Sony Pictures The Da Vinci Code proved more profitable on a proportional basis than Walt Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. While the pirate movie will gross more in theaters and video, Da Vinci Code cost $75 mil. less to produce and also cost less to market. In the specialty film category among summer releases, Fox Searchlight's road comedy Little Miss Sunshine, Disney's uplifting dancethemed Step Up and the criticallymaligned slacker comedy Clerks II shone in terms of economic return.

"The big glossy studio films generate huge revenue in DVD and on TV," notes Kagan Research analyst Wade Holden. "Some say moderate and lowbudgeted films aimed at sophisticated audiences are a better economic bet. But these 'indie'style films don't do proportionally as well in video and TV, especially when they don't garner top awards."

Da Vinci Code is tops among summer films in Kagan Profitability Index with a 3.21 from nearly $1.18 bil. in forecast worldwide revenue against $367 mil. in expenses. KPI is a ratio expressing proportional profit as a percentage. It's calculated by dividing Kagan Research forecast for worldwide distributor revenue against direct costs including marketing, but excluding overhead. A KPI of 1.401.75 is considered breakeven for film distributors. Kagan tracked the financial performance of 48 releasesall the films that played on 800 screensin this annual summer analysis.

As the accompanying table indicates, the latest Pirates of the Caribbean will generate more revenue than Da Vinci Code, but Pirate's higher costs pull its KPI down to 3.13.

Well, I guess I was wrong :p

ZOMG! double post.

There are some interesing facts in there.

BO MOJO reports that the budget of POTC is 225 million. The article says that expensies on POTC are 367 meaning that spent a whopping 142 million on marketing. :wow:

Oh i so agree with that quote. HEck my brother who's a big fan of the book actually tried to defend the movie when i said that it sucked ( i btw tried reading the book , but threw it away after 20 pages ; boring pretentious piece of crap IMO).

After he saw it , he gave it a rating of 4/10. Imagine what my rating , as a non-fan was , when i first saw it :woot:

This doesn't factor in Hank's and Howard's pay, does it? I believe both Hanks and Howard get a cut of the profit. This article doesn't seem to account for that.

The movie basically relied on Hanks and the popularity of the novel. I think there will be considerably less interest for Angels and Demons, especially if it has the same crew.

I think they mean among the big releases. If you look at budget/BO, well, The Devil Wears Prada made around four times its production budget in US alone. I don´t know how much it made worldwide or what was the marketing cost, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"