Why is "Justice League: Batman & Wonder Woman" considered a flop?

Mutant 77

Supreme Keeper of the X-Men Movie Continuity
Reaction score
Why did "Justice League: Batman & Wonder Woman" (2017) cost Warner a loss of 60 million dollars (according to Forbes)?
I mean, the movie grossed twice its budget. Budget was 300 million dollars (or so I know).

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $229,024,295 34.8%
+ Foreign: $428,900,000 65.2%
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $657,924,295
What do you think?

WB doesn't get 100% of the Studios take. :huh:

Usually it's only $50% of the domestic, 25% of China and 40% of the rest of international.

That's why.

The fact that you used italics in your post is kind of funny since you’re unfortunately misinformed...

the studio doesn’t keep 100% of the box office earnings, it gets split with the movie theater chains and they also keep way less of the Chinese box office because of deals with the Chinese government.

Not only that, but production costs don’t factor in marketing and advertisements, with a movie like JL the marketing budgets can be huge, like even adding another 50-100 million huge.

The movie cost a ton, over 300 mil with reshoots. Thats why. It would’ve needed to cross about 800 mill be considered profitable.

What the hell is Justice League: Batman & Wonder Woman?

Yeah i dont get it either.
I was searching and found nothing...god damn bastard hyped me for some Juicy Batman/Wonder Woman stuff.

The fact that you used italics in your post is kind of funny since you’re unfortunately misinformed...

the studio doesn’t keep 100% of the box office earnings, it gets split with the movie theater chains and they also keep way less of the Chinese box office because of deals with the Chinese government.

Not only that, but production costs don’t factor in marketing and advertisements, with a movie like JL the marketing budgets can be huge, like even adding another 50-100 million huge.

Yeah, I pretty much know that... but the movie managed to gross MORE THAN TWICE its budget anyway.

No it wasnt. This is apparently about Justice League but for some reason the creator of the thread has given JL His own title.

The movie is a 'Batman & Wonder Woman' movie disguised as team movie. Superman appears in the second half as "deus ex machina", while Aquaman/Flash/Cyborg had no solo movies at that point and were virtually unknown.

Batman is the drive of the story, the leader and the main character along with Wonder Woman. So this movie belongs to the Batman Franchise and can't be compared to "Avengers" as everyone uses to do.

Yeah, I pretty much know that... but the movie managed to gross MORE THAN TWICE its budget anyway.
Again, regardless if the movie made twice it's production budget, not to mention that it doesn't account for marketing that could go as high as $100M, the Studio DOESN'T keep 100% of the ticket sales either domestic or international.

It doesn’t matter if it grossed twice it’s budget when you factor in how much the studio takes back... and advertising costs

Also, don't forget that those numbers are the ones WB will *admit*, publicly. Given the amount of rewrites and reshoots, its entirely likely the real numbers are even higher.

That said, even if WB *did* break even on JL, that doesn't mean it wasn't also a flop. Note the considerable drop in gross from Batman v Superman, or even from Wonder Woman. WB doesn't just need JL to make money, they also need JL to foretell further moneymaking in the future. In reality? Everything about JL's performance screamed "this franchise is in a death spiral". Hence them abandoning everything that was definitively Snyder.

( I suspect they already had realized JL was mortally wounded long before it released; they just didn't have the conviction to kill it outright, not when they were already filming it. )

The movie cost a ton, over 300 mil with reshoots. Thats why. It would’ve needed to cross about 800 mill be considered profitable.

Warner Bros did not pony up all the money for JL like they did with Aquaman and Shazam. They had Dune Entertainment co-finance it (like they did with BvS), plus they had commercial tie-ins that covered another portion.

That's not saying WB didn't take a financial hit on JL -- they did -- but I think it was less than what Forbes was saying.

Wonder Woman flop? lmao

Let's be real...Superman and Batman are the most well-known of ALL comic book characters. This SHOULD'VE been the (at least in the top 5) greatest movie event of all time...but they failed miserably.

Think DC’s take on Will & Grace.

Dude, that is a seriously funny post.

If JL did anything close to even "okay" in the eyes of WB, they would've had a sequel planned. This just in.....Marvel is abandoning any new Avengers movies....

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I think I'm going to go back to the "Batman is still the most profitable solo superhero ever" thread in order to get a taste of relative sanity.

What the hell is Justice League: Batman & Wonder Woman?

It's so named because it was a Batman movie. LOL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"