• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Transformers Will they use any of the original cartoon voices?

SpandexFan

Civilian
Reaction score
Even though it's been years since I watched a Transformers episode, it just won't be the same if the following bots aren't voiced by their cartoon actors:

Optimus Prime
Magnetron
Starscream
Soundwave
Jazz

I can deal with Bumblebee having a new voice. But Optimus had that aged wise voice. Magnetron and Starscream had altered evil voices that were awesome, and Soundwave, no explanation needed, coolest altered voice of the series. Jazz had the hippest voice of the cartoons. :D

Same goes for Soundwave's tapes, Rumble & Fonzy.

Although Chris Latta and Scatman Crothers are no longer with us (VA'd Starscream and Jazz).

Spark said:
Same goes for Soundwave's tapes, Rumble & Fonzy.

Although Cris Latta and Scatman Crothers are no longer with us (VA'd Starscream and Jazz).

Starscream's voice is no longer alive? Wasn't he Cobra Commander, too? Sad loss for 80's cartoons. :(

It's Megatron....not Magnetron.
And it's Frenzy....not Fonzy....lol.

And Starscream and Megatron's voices weren't really altered...they had the twing (metalized vocal effect) all the TF's had, but that's it.

Also Frank Welker did the voices of:
Megatron
Soundwave
Skywarp
Ravage
Laserbeak/Buzzsaw
Rumble/Frenzy
Mirage
Mixmaster
And and bunch more too.

Chris Latta (who did Starscream's voice)...also did:
Wheeljack
Reflector

WalkingDead said:
And it's Frenzy....not Fonzy....lol.
What? We're not going to hear Frenzy's iconic "heeeeeeeeeeeeeey..." line? I feel a boycott coming on.

And I think Frank Welker voiced Wheelie aswell. Almost unforgivable (almost). ;)

Spark said:
What? We're not going to hear Frenzy's iconic "heeeeeeeeeeeeeey..." line? I feel a boycott coming on.

I think the "NY Wise Guy" / Fonzie voice is going to Bumblebee. He is a Camaro after all. All he needs is the huge IROC logo in the back window and he's all set.

SpandexFan said:
Starscream's voice is no longer alive? Wasn't he Cobra Commander, too? Sad loss for 80's cartoons. :(

It was, but there have been plenty of talented Chris Latta immitators to emerge since his unfortunate death.

Scott McNeil (one of the best VAs in the industry) was the very first Latta immitator. He did the voice of Cobra Commander in the 4th and final season of GI Joe (Latta left after season 3 to pursue a live action film career). Personally, I think he was the best of all the Latta immitators, as I didn't even notice the transition. McNeil was the voice of Cobra Khan in the 2002 He-Man series, which was really close to his Sobra Commander voice if you need an example.

Doug Parker was the voice director for GI Joe seasons 3 and 4 and worked closely with Latta, admiring him. He did Starscream in the Beast Wars episode "Possession", when the character made a guest appearance. He was also the voice of Terrorsaur during Beast Wars season 1, who was a direct homage to Starscream.

Michael Dobson was the voice of Starscream in the Transformers Armada, Energon and Cybertron shows. He also did the voice of Cobra Commander in the Spy Troops and Valor vs Venom CGI movies. His "impression" of Starscream is a little too deep and scratchy for my tastes, but his rendition of Cobra Commander was enjoyable.

Then there's the 4Kids guy who voices Cobra Commander on GI Joe: Sigma Six. I regret that I don't know his name, but IMDB still hasn't updated their Sigma Six page with a cast list. From what I've heard, his Cobra Commander is pretty good but doesn't have that recognizable "something" the other immitators had.

Spark said:
And I think Frank Welker voiced Wheelie aswell. Almost unforgivable (almost). ;)

Yup, he was Wheelie... :(
But, hey at least G1 Cannon-Wise, Daniel and Wheelie blow themselves up with a grenade in the 2020's. Cause in an exclusive comic, the story attaches to the G1 Cartoon storyline, Wheelie gets shot, Daniel whips out a grenade, and they blow up holding on to each other to destroy a horde of Nightbirds (if I remember correctly).

Welker was also:
The first Superion
Trailbreaker
Sludge
Spoilsport
Blades
Groove
A Junkion
Steeljaw

since the first casting they decided on was a bunch of name or semi-name/rising star actors for the human parts I'd guess that they might be leaning towards casting the original voice actors to reprise their roles live action.

If they'd gone all unkown for the human cast I think it would be an indication they were thinking of getting name actors for the bots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"