Will We Ever See Herbie The Robot?

H

Herbie

What ever happened to Herbie the robot? I remember he was in the comics at one point and he was the fourth member of the crew. When Herbie was in the comics the Human Torch was not there.

So we'll we ever see Herbie again or is he a lost character?

http://superherouniverse.com/superheroes/images/fantastic-four/cartoon/herbie.jpg

http://superherouniverse.com/superheroes/images/fantastic-four/cartoon/fantastic4.jpg

http://superherouniverse.com/superheroes/images/fantastic-four/cartoon/herbie-the-robot.jpg

hopefully not. If I remeber{correct me if I'm wrong} didn't Herbie take Torch's place because they lost Torch's rights for a tv show or something?

Not sure about the Torch's rights but all I know is in the comic when Herbie was present the Torch didn't exist, Herbie was the Fourth Member.
I didn't find Herbie to be a bad character he had a comical presence and the arguments he had with the Thing where priceless.

Herbie is seen in one of the deleted scenes....he's quietly sitting on a shelf....where he should stay....quiet...IMO

Herbie never replaced the Torch in the comics, only in the 1978 NBC cartoon.
He was briefly added to the comics, mostly for comedic effect. He was never an actual member of the FF except in the cartoon.

But I'm all for him popping up in the movies as reed's floating lab assistant or something like that.

Herbie said:
Not sure about the Torch's rights but all I know is in the comic when Herbie was present the Torch didn't exist, Herbie was the Fourth Member.
I didn't find Herbie to be a bad character he had a comical presence and the arguments he had with the Thing where priceless.

He was a mainstay in the MK 4 comics....which are no longer....but he was a protector of the kids especially....and even kicked some Gorgon ass in a recent issue....

edit: double post

JMAfan said:
He was a mainstay in the MK 4 comics....which are no longer....but he was a protector of the kids especially....and even kicked some Gorgon ass in a recent issue....

Yeah, I liked that. Gorgon's ass definitely needed kicking in that one.

Herbie replaced the Torch cuz in the 70's people were afraid kids would set themselves on fire emulating a cartoon.
True story.

sanitized.jpg

Sorry, no.
I actually remember the issue at the time.
Just like the shot heard around the world. And I aint talking 'bout JFK there.

Gogo Bananas said:
Sorry, no.
I actually remember the issue at the time.
Just like the shot heard around the world. And I aint talking 'bout JFK there.

sorry, but it was because the rights to the torch were in the possesion of someone else..so they came up with H.E.R.B.I.E

you can google this and find out.

this was talked about on here before the first FF came out.

paco

The fact that the studio was afraid of kids setting themselves on fire emulating the humnan torch was what i read.

what was this other project he was optioned for? His own show?

Back onto topic, i'd like to see herbie, im kinda in agreement with JMAfan he should be in a corner somewhere deactivated!

weezerspider said:
hopefully not. If I remeber{correct me if I'm wrong} didn't Herbie take Torch's place because they lost Torch's rights for a tv show or something?
yes universal was going for a torch solo movie [maybe it would been more like the golden age torch] but it never materialized:thing:

Gogo Bananas said:
Herbie replaced the Torch cuz in the 70's people were afraid kids would set themselves on fire emulating a cartoon.
True story.
i think thats why nbc would't use torch in spider-man and his amazing friernds that and his flame attacks were considered too violent by nbc censors at the time

maybe the movie can use h.e.rb.i.e. as a personal computer reed invented with a novely twist put in his prototype robot body

If the gods bless us, hopefully not:o:up:

can anyone post a pic of the deleted scene herbie

Jeez, why do fans hate on HERBIE so much? He is a Jack Kirby creation after all. He'd be perfect eye candy for the background in any lab scenes, helping Reed out and stuff. Maybe I'd keep him mute, but I'd sure include him; he's part of FF history.
My kid was watching the Robin Williams re-make of "Flubber" this morning, and I noticed a floating robot assistant in that film. In the scene I saw, at least, the robot wasn't at all intrusive or corny, it was just there and it looked really cool.

Herbie could be in the movie as the computer, or maybe a small scene where we see Herbie in the lab. As I remember in the deleted scene Herbie looked like a Duck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"