Transformers Will you still see it???

Yes, I'am still going to see this film. I just don't understand how some people can judge a film a year in advance of it's release.

*Dead*End* said:
Thegameq, I will see SM3 [although I'm not excited about it at all compared to TF], and Harry Potter, I've only seen the first movie [just not for me].

Don't get me wrong I really like SM, I even own the first two on DVD, but they're never that exciting to me on the big screen. I used to enjoy the comics, and in the films I enjoy the drama.

With TF that is a whole another animal for me. I own some of the toys [about 40 of them; from different "epochs"], some comic books, and all seasons of: G1, BeastWars, TF the Movie, and one "Cybertron" DVD. Eversince I were a wee lad, I'd imagined robots roaming the streets . . . something we'll actually get tot see:)

LOL!! Now you are a true fan, imagination and all! I really hope you enjoy it.

Who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and see if at afterall.

bluejake01 said:
For the love of God...TINO? That is not accurate...at all. Transformers is a concept that has enjoyed countless different continuities and incarnations, each different than the last. This is just a new incarnation, and judging from the early draft of the script they have done a very good job updating the story for the big screen.

Are you a politician?

Come on man. Is there anyone that really cares about the different iterations of the TF other than Gen 1 (other than the younglings? Yes, Beast Wars was good and entertaining)? We all want Gen 1, we all are/were/hoping for Gen 1.

Guess what, we're not getting Gen 1. Why? Would it have killed the directors and studios to do Gen 1? I think most of us know the main reason why they aren't dong Gen 1. Part of the answer is ego, and the other part is $$$$$$$$$ potential.

thegameq said:
Are you a politician?

Come on man. Is there anyone that really cares about the different iterations of the TF other than Gen 1 (other than the younglings? Yes, Beast Wars was good and entertaining)? We all want Gen 1, we all are/were/hoping for Gen 1.

Guess what, we're not getting Gen 1. Why? Would it have killed the directors and studios to do Gen 1? I think most of us know the main reason why they aren't dong Gen 1. Part of the answer is ego, and the other part is $$$$$$$$$ potential.

If it were about $$$$ I could understand. But it's more than that. I personally think that the makers of this movie just think Transformers, at its heart, is corny and stupid and that a "faithful" adaptation would be more like Thunderbirds or Power Rangers The Movie than anything else. Of course, I disagree. I think they could have made a very faithful adaptation (with the Ark, Soundwave, faithful storyline, updated-but-faithful alt modes, etc) AND be a serious modern- even dark- true sci-fi flick.

CFlash said:
If you smell manure, you know what it smells like and you would never confuse it with a skunk. I live in manhattan... and I can easily tell the garbage rotting in 100 degree sun and that horse carriage coming down the block.

Basing on
1) Michael Bay's past fluff (visually exciting yes, but fluff as fluff gets)
2) the ludicrous totally-anti-the-spirit of the original Transformers vehicle modes (Hot-Rodimus-Prime.... I won't even mention Too Fast & Furious BB)
3) The Bionicle robots (yes, based on what we've seen so far, they look EXACTLY like Bionicle).
3) No Soundwave
4) Don Murphy... the lunatic.
5) Plot? Well, Bay's very pro-militaristic (does the Military defeat the Decepticons in this movie, like they defeated Godzilla? Probably. Oh sheesh!) anti-environmental vibes that seem to run throughout his movies go against the spirit of the original Transformers.
(http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/showarticle.php3?ID=7)

So far, only Spielberg's involvement is the only thing keeping this movie registering any sort of interest level for me.

So yea.... this movie could end up being the best sci-fi movie since Terminator. But, does it really seem likely. Really? Do you really think so?... or have you lowered your expectations a few notches? Be honest!

I can understand some of your reasons, but think that others are superficial.

1. I can understand where you are coming from with Michael Bay, but this should be a fun movie, which I think we are going to get. Transformers has never really been a though provoking property.
2. I think the personalities of the characters should take priority over designs and alt. modes, and the writers have come out and said that they will be in line with G1.
3. I am also disappointed with the exclusion of Soundwave, but in the filmmakers' defense, he is a hard character to adapt once you get rid of the boombox alt. mode, which was a major part of the character in the cartoons and comics.
4. The guy did fights for the fans in regards to Arcee and Peter Cullen. Yes the guy can be a jerk, but is that really a reason to hate the film?
5. Everything that I have heard about the military's role in the film is that they have a hard time fighting the Decepticons. You have mentioned the environmental issues in the past, but I think you are overestimating their importance. They were really only a part of G1 in the beginning. No offense, but I think you are the only TF fan that I have ever heard demanding their inclusion.

One last thing, I haven't lowered my expectations in regards to this film. I just adopted the mindset that this is not going to be a faithful adaptation of G1.

I am hopefull it'll be fun. Even if I'm not liking the designs 'cept Prime, I'd still be excited to see live Giant Robots in battle. I'll be there in line opening day.

CFlash said:
If you smell manure, you know what it smells like and you would never confuse it with a skunk. I live in manhattan... and I can easily tell the garbage rotting in 100 degree sun and that horse carriage coming down the block.

Basing on
1) Michael Bay's past fluff (visually exciting yes, but fluff as fluff gets)
2) the ludicrous totally-anti-the-spirit of the original Transformers vehicle modes (Hot-Rodimus-Prime.... I won't even mention Too Fast & Furious BB)
3) The Bionicle robots (yes, based on what we've seen so far, they look EXACTLY like Bionicle).
3) No Soundwave
4) Don Murphy... the lunatic.
5) Plot? Well, Bay's very pro-militaristic (does the Military defeat the Decepticons in this movie, like they defeated Godzilla? Probably. Oh sheesh!) anti-environmental vibes that seem to run throughout his movies go against the spirit of the original Transformers.
(http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/showarticle.php3?ID=7)

So far, only Spielberg's involvement is the only thing keeping this movie registering any sort of interest level for me.

So yea.... this movie could end up being the best sci-fi movie since Terminator. But, does it really seem likely. Really? Do you really think so?... or have you lowered your expectations a few notches? Be honest!

You know you really can't spell it out any simpler than that.

Good post.:up:

This movie, from what little I've heard and seen already, isn't exactly aiming for LOTR territory folks. This is one of those movies where a big name attaches their name to it to add cache and credibility. But when all is said and done it's Bay not Spielberg whose directing this flick.

Fine, color me a pessimist when it comes to these kinds of films. But until H'wood can prove to me that they can consistently (LOTR, Potter, SM1,2, etc.,) do these films the right way without f**king them up (sorry, I seldomly use profanity on any board, but there simply isn't any polite way to put it), a pessimist I'll be.

thegameq said:
I think most of us know the main reason why they aren't dong Gen 1. Part of the answer is ego, and the other part is $$$$$$$$$ potential.
or maybe.........just maybe.......

they think the designs from Gen. 1 look about 100 years outdated:eek: ....

i mean seriously... i think today WE humans can build better looking robots than those blocky boxes.

and how would they do it for money!?!?!?!:confused:

cb48026 said:
You have mentioned the environmental issues in the past, but I think you are overestimating their importance. They were really only a part of G1 in the beginning. No offense, but I think you are the only TF fan that I have ever heard demanding their inclusion.

I dunno. Seemed to me that the whole point of the Autobots "protecting" Earth from the Decepticons was because of them trying to turn all its natural resources into Energon. Why else would the Decepticons bother? They could have ditched Earth, flown to some other planet, sucked up Jupiter's gases, or harvested Venus' Methane, or just stood in front of the Sun for a couple of minutes like Superman.

No, they preferred fossil fuels for the most part (which exist only on Earth). And just like you can make alcohol from almost anything but prefer a certain kind, so to was it with Energon.

But, maybe I just paid too much attention. :o
Maybe it was just a stupid cartoon about big machines fighting like I've heard a lot of folks here say.... Rock-Em-Sock-Em Robots, go! :)

I'll go see it that weekend for sure. I haven't been into Transformers since I was in Junior High :O I'm not totally Hyped but I'm sure I'll become more stoked as the day grows closer :up:

I'm going to definately going check this film out. It's all about Prime, him being in this film is everything! :)

CGHulk said:
I'm going to definately going check this film out. It's all about Prime, him being in this film is everything! :)

He's got four scenes. Have fun with those.

roach said:
and if you enjoy it?????

I fully expect it to be entertaining. It just won't be Transformers. And if a Transformers movie doesn't feel like Transformers, then they don't deserve my 12 bucks. I'll probably end up buying the DVD used from Rogers.

Now, if I'm wrong, which I doubt I am, then chances are I'll end up seeing it again. Then they can have my money.

Oerwinde said:
I fully expect it to be entertaining. It just won't be Transformers. And if a Transformers movie doesn't feel like Transformers, then they don't deserve my 12 bucks. I'll probably end up buying the DVD used from Rogers.

Now, if I'm wrong, which I doubt I am, then chances are I'll end up seeing it again. Then they can have my money.

And really that's just it. Transformers isn't just about robots that transform into stuff. Heck it's not even solely just about their personalities (which some people here like to stress) since they're just classic "good guys/bad guys" not much different than Masters of the Universe or anything else. It's about ICONS that a lot of us grew up with.

Look at Masters of the Universe. That was a whole new "reimagination" on another beloved franchise (a franchise possibly even bigger than Transformers at the time). In and of itself it wasn't a completely horrible movie... heck the fight between Skeletor and He-man at the end rocked (as I'm sure Prime and Megatron's will in Bay's movie)... but, it just wasn't Masters. It wasn't "right" at all. I have a feeling the same is happening here.

It's just too radically different to kindle any sort of affinity. But, then I guess Transformers was way lame to begin with, right?

CFlash said:
And really that's just it. Transformers isn't just about robots that transform into stuff. Heck it's not even solely just about their personalities (which some people here like to stress) since they're just classic "good guys/bad guys" not much different than Masters of the Universe or anything else. It's about ICONS that a lot of us grew up with.

Look at Masters of the Universe. That was a whole new "reimagination" on another beloved franchise (a franchise possibly even bigger than Transformers at the time). In and of itself it wasn't a completely horrible movie... heck the fight between Skeletor and He-man at the end rocked (as I'm sure Prime and Megatron's will in Bay's movie)... but, it just wasn't Masters. It wasn't "right" at all. I have a feeling the same is happening here.

It's just too radically different to kindle any sort of affinity. But, then I guess Transformers was way lame to begin with, right?

Stop being a Negacon and be a Posibot

roach said:
Stop being a Negacon and be a Posibot

I'm trying. I really am. But I smell Godzilla 98 all over this. If they called this anything but Transformers I'd be looking forward to it a lot more.

CFlash said:
I'm trying. I really am. But I smell Godzilla 98 all over this. If they called this anything but Transformers I'd be looking forward to it a lot more.

i understand and i appreciate the fact that we can have a adult discussion and disagree about something we both love....Transformers

CFlash said:

The thing with Masters of the Universe though was that it sucked because it was set on earth, and it was set on earth because it had no budget so they couldn't pay for all the extra stuff needed for it to be set on Eternia, as well as the effects for Trapjaw and Tri-Clops and such so we got lame new villains. TF has like a 150 million dollar budget, so it has no excuse to suck.

CFlash said:

Maybe people emphasize the importance of the personalities because that is what defines the characters. Would you be happy if Optimus was still a red flatnose truck and looked precisely just like G1, but his personality was the complete opposite of what has long been established?

Resurecting this thread, the poll is still open. Cast your votes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"