Superman Returns Will your opinion of Singer change if you dislike Superman Returns?

singer has been one of my favorite directors long before superman and x-men....and i suspect he'll stay one of my favorite directors long after them.

Matt said:
Singer is overrated anyway. The Usual Suspects is what stupid people watch to make themselves feel intelligent.

You're just so angry Singer not making Superman the way you want, that you're willing to make up excuses & lies that all of his films suck. Talk about hypocrite. And you think stupid people watch TUS just to make themself intelligent? I'm sure you watch some tv or movies just to feel smart. The kettle isn't black, kiddo. ;)

Well, if he could mend fences with Marvel, I'm pretty certain he could still go back to directing a third X-Men movie after X3, or helm a Wolverine spinoff if uperman Returns fails.

My opinion wouldn't change,im not a big fan to start with but every director can have a bad one or a misjudged one

I would be very dissapointed, but my thoughts of him being a good filmaker wouldn't change.

I voted for "I wouldn't hate him, but I would think less of him".

I wouldnt hate Singer. I'd just be bummed that I didnt like the film he made.

I would still think of Singer as an average director who has only made one movie that I liked.

BTW if SR turn out bad, I won't hate him thought. He's still a great filmmaker & 1 or 2 bad movies won't change that. Thing is he try to do his best despite not giving what some want. Just how movies work.

No, because I never thought that he was a great director anyway. The X-films were okay, and US was good. Nothing he has done has wowed me and I don't think that he is a good action director.

He's a decent filmmaker, he's just not cut out for the superhero genre.

chi-boy said:
He's a decent filmmaker, he's just not cut out for the superhero genre.
How strange then that he is sought after for comic book movies. Obviously, some very important people disagree with you.

skruloos said:
How strange then that he is sought after for comic book movies. Obviously, some very important people disagree with you.

So was Schumacher at one time. Important people aren't infallible are they?

Oldguy said:

But we all know Singer isn't like Schumacher. We should be glad both the X-Men & Superman don't have nipples on the costume. Codpiece too. ;) :p

Nightwing1977 said:
But we all know Singer isn't like Schumacher. We should be glad both the X-Men & Superman don't have nipples on the costume. Codpiece too. ;) :p

Codpiece too, indeed.:rolleyes:

Oldguy said:
I never said they were. But barring his Batman films, the rest of Schumacher's movies are dark and serious. Obviously he had done something right to get Burton and the studio's attention.

Based on stuff like Falling Down, Phone Booth, and the Lost Boys, I still think Schumacher is a good candidate for a Batman movie. He just need not pander to toy companies.

Based on stuff like X-men 1 and 2, and what we've seen of SR, I think Singer is not a good candidate for superhero movies. Dude ain't got no vision.

skruloos said:
I never said they were. But barring his Batman films, the rest of Schumacher's movies are dark and serious. Obviously he had done something right to get Burton and the studio's attention.

Based on stuff like Falling Down, Phone Booth, and the Lost Boys, I still think Schumacher is a good candidate for a Batman movie. He just need not pander to toy companies.

So we are in agreement then, important people aren't infallible?

chi-boy said:
Based on stuff like X-men 1 and 2, and what we've seen of SR, I think Singer is not a good candidate for superhero movies. Dude ain't got no vision.
And you're entitled to your opinion. Like I said, judging from box office and studio response, there are people who disagree.

Oldguy said:
So we are in agreement then, important people aren't infallible?
I never said that people weren't infallible. As I said in this thread, just because a director is successful in his other films doesn't mean that I walk blindly into his next one. I'm always aware that there is a chance he'll make a stinker. But I give him the chance to tell his story and then I judge it based on that. I don't make claims based on speculation and bits and pieces.

Inversely, as is the case with brett Ratner, just because I wasn't impressed with his previous films doesn't mean I'll walk into X3 expecting a stinker. Walking into a movie, I always give the director the benefit of the doubt. They can succeed or fail and I take it movie by movie.

It won´t change my opinion about his other movies. Any director, even the best ones, make mistakes.

Yeah, remember Ang Lee and the Hulk? Some directors just aren't cut out for certain genres, doesn't make them a bad person. (BTW, I actually liked the Hulk, even it is boring. I'm just using that as an example since alot of people did think it sucked.)

chi-boy said:
Yeah, remember Ang Lee and the Hulk? Some directors just aren't cut out for certain genres, doesn't make them a bad person. (BTW, I actually liked the Hulk, even it is boring. I'm just using that as an example since alot of people did think it sucked.)
Ang Lee? I think he's cut out for the genre but it depends on what comic book he's doing. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was based on a series of novels and comic books. He made large changes to it but captured a lot of the essence of the emotion of the book. I think the problem with the Hulk, despite my liking it, was that Ang didn't know what to do with it. It was a bad balance of popcorn action and slow introspection. If he had gone for more of one and less of the other (regardless of which way he went), more people would have liked the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"