Wireless connection to the internet, help.

War Lord

Avenger
Reaction score
The boss is away and I get to play. So, although I'm not supposed to have my laptop with me, what my boss doesn't know won't hurt him.

Roughneck, shhhhhhhhhhhh.

Yes, I am still prioritizing my work and getting it done, so I'm not being irresponsible about the matter, just disobedient.

The problem is that for me to connect to the internet while at work, my computer must be in a sweet spot to pick up the hotspot. If it's just a few inches away from that hotspot, it doesn't pick up signal.

It's rather inconvenient to keep the computer where it needs to be to stay connected, as opposed to having it where I'd like it to be so that I can use it and stay connected to the internet.

Is there anything I can use to take advantage of the hot spot and keep my computer where I'd like it to be?

You sure works network work isn`t encypted so people like you cant get on for free :D:p

black_dust said:
You sure works network work isn`t encypted so people like you cant get on for free :D:p

If this person was smart, he'd have it encrypted. However, I have my laptop at work and you can see that I'm able to get on.

Isn't there some kind of signal booster that I can use available?

So who's connection is it? The guy behind your work? I can't think of any houses too close to there.

And there are signal boosters........but they need to be used at the souce I believe. So ....If you can get a booster ans sneak into the guys house.....

Maybe there is something that you can put on your computer to increase the signal recieving....

Roughneck said:
So who's connection is it? The guy behind your work? I can't think of any houses too close to there.

And there are signal boosters........but they need to be used at the souce I believe. So ....If you can get a booster ans sneak into the guys house.....

Maybe there is something that you can put on your computer to increase the signal recieving....

There are houses behind me and it could be coming from the apartment across the street.

It's not a strong signal and it's only 11 Mbps, but it's better than no signal.

u might be TOO CLOSE to the signal for that to happen too

astroid-man said:
u might be TOO CLOSE to the signal for that to happen too

I don't think being at least 50 feet away from all possible internet signals can qualify as being too close.

What laptop do you have? Is wireless integrated or are you using a third-party PCMCIA card for it. There are do it yourself guides for making a ghetto signal booster that will run off of USB and even PCMCIA out there on the 'net. Google it!

jag

jaguarr said:
What laptop do you have? Is wireless integrated or are you using a third-party PCMCIA card for it. There are do it yourself guides for making a ghetto signal booster that will run off of USB and even PCMCIA out there on the 'net. Google it!

jag

It's a Toshiba Satellite and it's integrated.

You know since this is a thread about Wireless I am having trouble with my Wireless Router. I am on the Internet now because my Cable Modem is back to being Connected to my Computer. The problem is my Wirless Router has 100 % Completely Stopped Connecting to the Net & the weird thing is my Computer does read that it is Connected but I can not do anything. It was working one day & then all of a sudden it just stopped & its been a few days & it has not worked since. I have tried many differnet Wires to connect my Router to the PC & Modem & my Router, Cable Modem, PC are all practically right next to each other. I use the Router mainly for connecting 360 & PS2 Online. As I said one day it was working but stopped all of a sudden. When I have my Router connected to my Computer all the Lights are on & the Internet Button & the others have a Green Light on. Is there some settings on my Computer that might have got messed up ? I doubt that because I never had to set anything up on my PC I would just have to connect the Wires & itd work but now its not working at all & if you wonder I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with Speed Booster (2.4 GHz, 802.11g)

Can anyone recommend anything to get my Router back to working ?

i hate toshiba laptops. Hey are you 100% sure their are NO wireless connections like right beside you, or right arround u? Cause that could be the problem.

astroid-man said:
i hate toshiba laptops. Hey are you 100% sure their are NO wireless connections like right beside you, or right arround u? Cause that could be the problem.

My till has an internet connection, but it's not wireless connected.

War Lord said:
It's a Toshiba Satellite and it's integrated.

The dongle's I've seen instructions for making on the 'net may not work for your system since the wireless is integrated. Google "Toshiba Satellite integrated wireless signal boost" and see what you get.

jag

jaguarr said:
The dongle's I've seen instructions for making on the 'net may not work for your system since the wireless is integrated. Google "Toshiba Satellite integrated wireless signal boost" and see what you get.

jag

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"