World War II comics?

JewishHobbit

Avenger
Reaction score
So I'm working on a project that'll tell the story of the Marvel Universe in the WWII era. I'm looking for Marvel comics that take place entirely during the WWII era or round abouts having to do with it that are not in any way flashbacks (unless the modern story can be removed cleanly). So far I have:

Marvels 1
Weapon X 14 (Mr. Sinister working at the concentration camps)
Wolverine (vol. 2) 32 (Wolverine in a concentration camp)
Red Skull: Incarnate 1-5
Magneto: Testament 1-5

These are interesting character arcs but I'd like to get the big beats of Marvel's WWII era. I'm specifically looking for comics containing:

- Captain America's creation
- Bucky's death
- Cap frozen
- Red Skull's fate
- The Invaders
- Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos
- More on Jim Hammond
- More on Namor
- Death of Hitler (whether by Jim Hammond or Bucky)

And really, anything else that you can think of that'd be a fun inclusion.

Anyone have any comics to recommend?

Last edited:
Those first 3 issues of Marvel Universe seems interesting.

And I've looked into the Marvels Project and the problem with that is that it's set after WWII and then flashes back to it through the story of the dying guy, 2 Gun Kid I think. I mostly skimmed it though and if those pages can be removed and I get some good WWII solid storytelling I'd be game.

I'm pretty sure that the Marvel's project is set before America entered World War II.

If memory serves that first issue wasn't it set in the 1950's or 60's with one of the WWII era heroes dying and passing on his legacy to soemone else or something like that. Then it goes back and forth from that time period to the 40's? I only skimmed the tpb and that's what I remember it being, though I could be remembering it wrong. If that's the case then it wouldn't work because I want it set in that era, not flashbacked. Though if I could cut scenes and make it all in that era then it would work.

What about the original Captain America comics?

Art's too old fashioned. I'm looking for mid-late 90's or sooner.

You really have strict qualifications. :o

I do, for the project I'm working on. I'm working on a bind that pretty much details World War II in the Marvel Universe and mixing old fashioned art with more recent art is very jarring and hurts the reading experience (for me) as well as for the few friends I have who like reading comics and borrow them from me. When the art is so different, not to mention how storytelling has changed since then, it just feels out of place.

I guess. Art and certaib storytelling elements from the mid-90s is already pretty jarring for me compare to current art.

It can be but as long as it stays away from the steriotypical 90's TnA art I don't mind it. I prefer 2000's to now but I'll take 90's depending on how it looks.

You had the seventies series about The Invaders, although it wouldn't fit your qualifications, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"