The Diamond List for Feburary 9th, 2011

I think Franklin Richards (our poster, not the character) might've brought up something about how Reed backing the SRA in Civil War made no sense because he and the other FF members had already fought something similar years ago. That might be what's covered in the second Acts omnibus.

Probably. Wasn't that Sue's main issue with Reed during Civil War? How Franklin would be affected? Like I said, I haven't read a lot of FF....I do have the DVD collection just never got around to reading it.

I don't know, I haven't read much of the FF's comics either--including that Civil War stuff you're referring to. I dodged that whole event.

I read some tie-ins but I didn't buy a single issue of the main mini. Of course, I still know virtually everything that happened thanks to the interwebs. :)

In ACTS OF VENGEANCE, the destruction caused by all the villain/hero battles sparked Congress to try to pass a Superpowers Registration Act, which was similar to the Mutant Registration Act that was passed (but haphazardly enforced). Characters such as Reed, Wasp, and Wonder Man opposed it. I believe Reed's big moment was taking the act's criteria about "super intelligence" being a factor worth considering (since many heroes like Mr. Fantastic and Iron Man as well as villains like Mad Thinker utilize that sort of thing) and using it to gauge the members of Congress and the assembled press themselves - as many of them had above average IQ, they all would have been flagged. His stance was the act was a slippery slope law that could be used to persecute anyone. This was about 10-11 years before 9/11. After that, having slippery slope laws that could be used to prosecute anyone became something handy to have because them terrorists rarely played by any rules. :dry:

16 years later for CIVIL WAR, of course, even superhuman tech was banned; the Prowler was arrested for just being on a fire escape. This time, Reed backed it because he had an uncle take a stand against McCarthyism which somehow taught him that when the going gets tough, backing down and betraying your friends to keep your family safe is worth it. That failed, as Johnny was beaten into a coma and Susan opposed the act openly. Then the next writer went with the idea that he'd went with it because he drew a lot of numbers on a wall and the numbers made it seem logical.

As for why the government didn't make a big deal about Franklin Richards for most of the time the MRA was on the books...that's just sloppy editing. It could have better linked the Four and the X-Men, or rather the X-Men out of what was then only a metaphorical and editorial private island.

That makes it 6 straight issues for you, Dread. Way to hang in there:up:

Hang in there? I enjoyed every issue I've read since BIG TIME started. Over at Examiner, the first two issues made my BOOK OF THE WEEK (and any other BOOK OF THE WEEK usually has to be better than ASM if it came out the same week to me). Unless Slott or editorial do something to lose me, I'm caught in the web now.

Last edited:
MARVEL COMICS
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #654
ANITA BLAKE CIRCUS OF DAMNED INGENUE #2
AVENGERS EARTHS MIGHTIEST HEROES #4
BLACK PANTHER MAN WITHOUT FEAR #515
CAPTAIN AMERICA KORVAC SAGA #3
CARNAGE #3
CASANOVA GULA #2
DARK TOWER GUNSLINGER LITTLE SISTERS ELURIA #3
DEADPOOL TEAM-UP #885
DREAM LOGIC #3
HEROES FOR HIRE #3
INCOGNITO BAD INFLUENCES #3
INCREDIBLE HULKS #622
INVADERS NOW #5
NEW AVENGERS #9
ONSLAUGHT UNLEASHED #1
OSBORN #3
POWER MAN AND IRON FIST #1
PUNISHERMAX #10
SECRET WARRIORS #24
SUPER HEROES #11
THUNDERSTRIKE #3
ULTIMATE AVENGERS VS NEW ULTlMATES #1
ULTIMATE COMICS CAPTAIN AMERICA #2
ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #153
WIDOW MAKER #4
WOLVERINE #1000
WOLVERINE #5.1
X-FACTOR #215

Thanks, a gracious thanks to all for ordering Jake Ellis #2. I gotta tell you, Tonci took it above and beyond issue 1, and each panel just breathes with dynamism and deftness.

I noted a mistake which Diamond may or may not have corrected at this point--issue 2 will be out a week later which will allow (or has allowed, hopefully) reordering of the reprints of issue 1. A nice blue cover version for you dedicated collectors, or a second chance for those that missed the first!

Once again, thanks all--and I can't wait to hear your response to issue 2.

wije2snippet.jpg

Thanks, a gracious thanks to all for ordering Jake Ellis #2. I gotta tell you, Tonci took it above and beyond issue 1, and each panel just breathes with dynamism and deftness.

I noted a mistake which Diamond may or may not have corrected at this point--issue 2 will be out a week later which will allow (or has allowed, hopefully) reordering of the reprints of issue 1. A nice blue cover version for you dedicated collectors, or a second chance for those that missed the first!

Once again, thanks all--and I can't wait to hear your response to issue 2.

Thank you, sir. Your first issue really was very good, and that's coming from someone who seldom ever reads anything outside of Marvel or DC. And this whole moving back a week is great news, lighten my load some.

Flash #9 (flashpoint) $2.99
green lantern emerald warriors #7 (war of gl) $2.99
superman #708 $2.99
titans #32 $2.99

incredible hulks #622 $2.99
new avengers #9 $3.99
x-factor #215 $2.99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"