Would anyone be interested in a sort of "Video game club"?

Electro UK

Can't all be for nothing
Reaction score
Hello chummies.

2 things about me, and you probably already know both of them.

1. I love video games.

2. I love writing.

Now with these 2 points established, I try to combine them into one mighty ball of greatness whenever I can, by writing here, at Titanium Groceries, doing that essay, and by keeping a blog at IGN.

Recently, a good friend of mine started up a comic book club on another site, and was met with a very positive reaction. He opened with the idea of challenging everyday people's perception of the medium, taking a look at some of the better texts, and giving people a chance to hang out and talk about the things they love. Its a great place.

So I figured, why can't I do the same?

Video games, are a controversial subject. Arguably moreso than any other medium right now. The most extreme violence, sex, and a whole other muddy mix of disgusting things can be rolled up into one single game, and more importantly, controlled by someone. You're not watching it, you're doing it.

So its a perfect topic for conversation right?

The question is, how to go about it? My friends comic book club happens every 2 weeks, with a focus on specific texts, and a subject to encompass them all together. This is pretty much how I intend to do it, if the reaction is good enough. It'll run every 2 weeks, with a specific topic, and a bunch of recommended readings... or playings if you will.

Rest assured, we won't just swirl around "Why the media hates video games" etc. We'll talk about the stuff we "get". What are the more important things to you in a game? What is it about Game A that creates such an incredible adrenaline rush?

The possibilites, are endless.

So, if you'd be so kind as to tell me if you're interested or not, I'd like to start working on a first "meeting" of sorts, if its worth it, of course.

Another idea is to hold this thread at "Titanium Groceries", which is a board that holds of lot of members that stupidly got banned from these boards a while back. They're good guys, and they have very interesting opinions on stuff, and I'd love to get them in on this.

We're here: http://drtboards.proboards.com/index.cgi so tell me if you'd like it at SHH, or think it'd be worthwhile signing up to the other board.

Hm, sounds kind of cool. Get me some more details and i might be up for it.

Okay, well in terms of interest, we could pick a subject that everyone would like to talk about for the first week?

I was thinking about talking about the Wii for the first week. Or, if we'd rather be away from the kind of marketing talks and look deeper into actual videogames to see why he love/hate them so much, I could pick a specifc genre of games and a key area or focus on or something like that. Say like what makes CoD4 so amazing while Turning Point: Fall of Man is so dull etc. Or be more general like what makes a good adventure game/story line for a game.

Nerd.

:o Seriously, I may be interested.

If we can talk about the greatest **** in video games, I would be in. I vote for either Jade Raymond or Stevie Case (although maybe she should be disqualified cause they're fake). I never said they had to be on video game characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"