The Avengers Would you have preferred more substance over summer action flick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about all the corny-ass dialogue and cheesy moments in the Avengers?

"Sir, how will we know they'll come back?" "Because we'll need them to." Ugh.
"Captain America saved my life! Whereever he is, thank you." I actually facepalmed myself during this scene, it was that cheesy.

The whole bit Captain America and the cop going "why should I listen to you?". Cringe-worthy.

"Are you ready for this?" "Yeah, it'll be fun." Really?

Thor, Hulk and Cap looking desperately at a presumed-to-be-dead Iron Man, who then wakes up from a screaming Hulk thumping his chest. Chuckle-inducing the first time, but utterly silly on subsequent viewings.

Hulk throwing Loki around like a ragdoll and then Loki, with that stupid expression on his face letting out a faint whine. Textbook case of what not to do with your main villain: make a mockery out of him.

So... is that any worse than the corny/ cringe worthy moments in other CB movies? like that corny 'hero' dialoque between peter and aunt May on Spidey 2? does those missteps makes all the other moments that DOES works simply dissapear? Does that misstep in character moment makes Spidey 2 suddenly doesn't work as a whole?

As for that Hulk moment, it's nearing the end of the movie and the heroes already practically won, so that moments works. had they done that in the beginning or the middle of the movie, then i may have agree with you.

"Captain America saved my life! Whereever he is, thank you." I actually facepalmed myself during this scene, it was that cheesy.

The whole bit Captain America and the cop going "why should I listen to you?". Cringe-worthy.

Thor, Hulk and Cap looking desperately at a presumed-to-be-dead Iron Man, who then wakes up from a screaming Hulk thumping his chest. Chuckle-inducing the first time, but utterly silly on subsequent viewings.

Hulk throwing Loki around like a ragdoll and then Loki, with that stupid expression on his face letting out a faint whine. Textbook case of what not to do with your main villain: make a mockery out of him.

He loves the cheesy, but getting the audience across the world laughing at those moments, more than you did anyhow, shows that he can write humour. It's in the spirit of the comic book film, so go with it. It'd never belong in Nolan's universe, of course, but in TA, yes.

If you take a cynical, cross-armed, miserable stance, it's quite easy to make anything seem lame. "Humor does not compute. Why would anyone inject levity into this dark and dangerous situation? Why would they speak at all? If this was more realistic and ruthlessly logical, they'd be intently, silently focusing on killing the enemy. In fact, while we're being ruthlessly logical, why is Captain America dressed up in that silly superhero costume? And the science behind The Hulk really isn't credible, when we think about it, that much radiation would actually just give you cancer. What a load of nonsense. Suspension of disbelief is for the intellectually puny!"

If you take a cynical, cross-armed, miserable stance, it's quite easy to make anything seem lame. "Humor does not compute. Why would anyone inject levity into this dark and dangerous situation? Why would they speak at all? If this was more realistic and ruthlessly logical, they'd be intently, silently focusing on killing the enemy. In fact, while we're being ruthlessly logical, why is Captain America dressed up in that silly superhero costume? And the science behind The Hulk really isn't credible, when we think about it, that much radiation would actually just give you cancer. What a load of nonsense. Suspension of disbelief is for the intellectually puny!"

hehe..give this man a cigar! and a blowtorch to light it with!:woot:

Paladin-Hoss said:
So... is that any worse than the corny/ cringe worthy moments in other CB movies? like that corny 'hero' dialoque between peter and aunt May on Spidey 2? does those missteps makes all the other moments that DOES works simply dissapear? Does that misstep in character moment makes Spidey 2 suddenly doesn't work as a whole?

Of course, I never said Avengers did not have some good dialogue or characterisation. I merely gave you examples of poor writing and cheesy scenes in the Avengers in response to the outrageous claims being thrown around, namely that it's somehow the standard for writing and characterisation in a superhero film when, in my opinion, it clearly isn't.

Well IMO this movie is made for all audiences most kids tend to like cheesy lines.

You might call them "cheesy lines" or "stupid moments", but at both the screenings I went to those moments were among the biggest crowd-pleasers. They were fun, and audiences going in looking to have fun responded positively to them.

In particular, I thought Loki getting his ass handed to him by The Hulk was brilliant. It's something of a recurring Whedon trope for him to deflate his villains, and in this case I thought it was a great human moment for Loki to see him first throwing a temper tantrum like a child at his grand, evil plan falling apart, and then getting humbled by a lowly mortal.

Of course, I never said Avengers did not have some good dialogue or characterisation. I merely gave you examples of poor writing and cheesy scenes in the Avengers in response to the outrageous claims being thrown around, namely that it's somehow the standard for writing and characterisation in a superhero film when, in my opinion, it clearly isn't.

Well then, we'll just have to agree to disagree. for in MY opinion, for THIS kind of CB movies, with this large and diverse cast of characters...this is how you write it, occasional chessy moments notwithstanding.

:up:

Excellent post as always Keyser.

You might call them "cheesy lines" or "stupid moments", but at both the screenings I went to those moments were among the biggest crowd-pleasers. They were fun, and audiences going in looking to have fun responded positively to them.

In particular, I thought Loki getting his ass handed to him by The Hulk was brilliant. It's something of a recurring Whedon trope for him to deflate his villains, and in this case I thought it was a great human moment for Loki to see him first throwing a temper tantrum like a child at his grand, evil plan falling apart, and then getting humbled by a lowly mortal.

Which somehow reminds me of that infamous scene in the runaways comics with the Punisher....:woot:

I think the Hulk trashing Loki works because Loki was telling Hulk, "Beast, bow before me," which is condescending as all get out and Hulk just starts beating the snot out of Loki until Loki yields and surrenders. Perfect characterization of Hulk and anybody that was just thrown around like nothing even though they have magic and near immortality.

Now to flip over to the other side of the argument momentarily, looking back through this thread I picked up on something pretty funny. As someone who hangs around a lot more on the Batman boards than the Marvel boards, there are posters who I recognise and know as often being highly critical of Nolan's Batman films, and who often get labelled as haters over there. But over here, when they are also being critical of The Avengers, they are getting accused of being blind, jealous Nolanites! People are allowed to just not like something, folks.

and there's nothing wrong with that right? :woot: a lot of movies have cheesy lines too.
Such as.... drumroll... Nolan's Bat flicks

"Does it come in black?"

"Nice coat."

"The Lamborghini then. Much more subtle."

"My mother told me never to get into cars with strange men."
"This isn't a car."

And I love those movies all the same

Such as.... drumroll... Nolan's Bat flicks

"Does it come in black?"

"Nice coat."

"The Lamborghini then. Much more subtle."

"My mother told me never to get into cars with strange men."
"This isn't a car."

And I love those movies all the same

lmao, someone on youtube made a comment on the TDKR trailer

he said .... This isn't a car >>>>>> We have a hulk

I was like :doh::doh::doh::doh:

Now to flip over to the other side of the argument momentarily, looking back through this thread I picked up on something pretty funny. As someone who hangs around a lot more on the Batman boards than the Marvel boards, there are posters who I recognise and know as often being highly critical of Nolan's Batman films, and who often get labelled as haters over there. But over here, when they are also being critical of The Avengers, they are getting accused of being blind, jealous Nolanites! People are allowed to just not like something, folks.

Yup!

I think the issues is the way some people voiced their opinion...

Some people does it normally, other in a very condescending way...

And in light with the sudden influx of known hardcore bats folks coming here complaining etc, these people that does it in the same way as the hardcore Nolanites got lumped in the same category.

:yay:

I'm trying to avoid all TDKR talk (I've avoided the trailers) so it's not fair to read about TDKR on an AVENGERS forum

I'm trying to avoid all TDKR talk (I've avoided the trailers) so it's not fair to read about TDKR on an AVENGERS forum

Hey don't blame us!, we're not the ones who's compelled to bring about Nolan's creations on every other CB movies:oldrazz:

Yup!

I think the issues is the way some people voiced their opinion...

Some people does it normally, other in a very condescending way...

And in light with the sudden influx of known hardcore bats folks coming here complaining etc, these people that does it in the same way as the hardcore Nolanites got lumped in the same category.

:yay:

I just think you folks need to be careful. The now well-established archetype of the overbearing, condescending post-TDK Nolanite started with fans on the Batman board getting angry at negative comments and accusing those who made them of being Marvel zombies.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and all that...

Hey don't blame us!, we're not the ones who's compelled to bring about Nolan's creations on every other CB movies:oldrazz:

it's getting to the stage where you'll have to avoid the forums to avoid ASM and TDKR talk. I gave the avengers forum a wide birth a MONTH before the avengers came out and it's just as well as someone dropped a HUGE spoiler with regards to the movie.

it's getting to the stage where you'll have to avoid the forums to avoid ASM and TDKR talk. I gave the avengers forum a wide birth a MONTH before the avengers came out and it's just as well as someone dropped a HUGE spoiler with regards to the movie.

I'm largely avoiding the TDKR boards now for the same reason.

Just be glad you 're not a Mass effect 3 fans a couple of months ago...

When some jerkweed decided to take revenge on the whole thread because he was about to get banned:cmad:

Just be glad you 're not a Mass effect 3 fans a couple of months ago...

When some jerkweed decided to take revenge on the whole thread because he was about to get banned:cmad:

someone dropped an absolute MEGA dexter spoiler and thankfully I avoided the spoiler by minutes as the mods removed the spoiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"