The Avengers Would you have preferred more substance over summer action flick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeXcalibur

Lord Luthor
Reaction score
it would have been nice to have more than a zod like villain and another alien invasion portal story. just watched transformers not long ago. i was hoping for as the kids say "epic" but we got more of just a fun action movie.

There was substance in this movie. The subtance comes from the characterisation and there is a couple of moments in the story that pose interesting questions, like Loki's line "You crave subjugation".

But the film is so ridiculously entertaining all that stuff is easily overshadowed. Who gives a **** about global energy crisis metaphors when Thor and Hulk are smacking the crap out of each other.

This movie is the anti-Transformers. Whedon just schooled Michael Bay on his first attempt at a big budget summer blockbuster.

i was hoping for as the kids say "epic" but we got more of just a fun action movie.

Well, when I go watch an Avengers film, I'm seriously hoping for a fun action film. Happily I got an epically fun action film with plenty of substance :woot:!!!

it was fun but it was clearly a light hearted approach. i guess a lot of characters so you can't get to deep into the origins of it coming together.

Light hearted doesn't mean there isn't any substance. This film is like the first Star Wars, or Raiders of the Lost Ark.

There is plenty of substance.

There was a lot of substance in this movie, in fact I'm not even sure we've covered all of the aspects of the movie thoroughly yet.

it does have a bit of that fun indiana jones feel. good call on that. it just didn't have the moments of internal conflict i expected. i am also surprised we didn't get either a more popular villain or multiple villains.

This movie was exactly what it needed to be, in terms of tone (in my opinion). I think the movie has plenty of substance, but it isn't a heavy-handed or bleak movie, which is F-I-N-E with me! This movie made me absolutely giddy. Why would I complain about that?

Now that we've all seen the team-up and each hero interacting with each other for the first time, that leaves room for "more substance" in the sequels. This movie was character-driven, because it had to be to establish the team. In the next film (especially if Joss Whedon is back on board), I'm sure we'll be seeing a more intense story. I think it would be great if the sequel was The Empire Strikes Back to the first film's A New Hope. :)

i just want better villains that challenge them on equal or opposite levels. like a ying to the yang type deal

i just want better villains that challenge them on equal or opposite levels. like a ying to the yang type deal

Well, if the sequel lives up to what was promised in the mid-credits scene, I think you'll get the movie you want. :)

thanos will own all heh heh

I have a feeling that he won't be the villain in the next sequel though. I'm guessing that he'll be like Fury in all the previous movies, kinda like the thread connecting all the other movies before making a big appreance.

He's such a massive threat that i doubt that they'll use him in the next sequel.

I was pleased, but as they say "you can't pleased everybody".

personally, i thought that Loki was/is a terific villain. A credit to the actor for playing such a manipulative, scheming evil villain, but does it in a subtle way and not trying to hit you over the head with over the top performance.

personally, i thought that Loki was/is a terific villain. A credit to the actor for playing such a manipulative, scheming evil villain, but does it in a subtle way and not trying to hit you over the head with over the top performance.

QFT :up:

Mad props to Tom Hiddleston! He was my favorite part of Thor, and I loved him in this movie too (for the same reasons you listed).

Something I have to point out though: While it wasn't an over-the-top performance at all, you can tell Hiddleston was having the time of his life doing this movie. :woot:

I just wanted a good movie. Whedon delivered a great movie. Words like "substance" and "heart" are pretty ill-defined. A good movie is a good movie. And the audiences are loving the characters in Avengers so that's not a problem. They all don't have to be "serious" to be great movies. Check out Back to the Future, Die Hard, Duck Soup, T2, Aliens, Caddyshack, Dumb and Dumber, Raising Arizona for proof.

I just wanted a good movie. Whedon delivered a great movie. Words like "substance" and "heart" are pretty ill-defined. A good movie is a good movie. And the audiences are loving the characters in Avengers so that's not a problem. They all don't have to be "serious" to be great movies. Check out Back to the Future, Die Hard, Duck Soup, T2, Aliens, Caddyshack, Dumb and Dumber, Raising Arizona for proof.

True story :up:

I would label a film with a large handful of three dimensional characters realized and played off each other perfectly as substantial

Not every film needs to be a political or social allegory to stick with people and matter

I was happy enough with what I got but the sequel needs to have weighter issues, it wont get a pass from me again. this will get me absolutely flamed but I thought the plot was no better or worse than transformers 1 the big difference being I cared about the characters in avengers. in avengers 2 I want a plot that is so good the action is almost an after thought (see; SM2 X2 TDK)

I would label a film with a large handful of three dimensional characters realized and played off each other perfectly as substantial

Not every film needs to be a political or social allegory to stick with people and matter

Man I wish more people would realize this instead of being so damn "narrow minded".

Spider-Man 2's plot didn't exactly set the world on fire either. Superheroing is hard, mentor becomes evil, superhero gives up powers, girlfriend is captured, superhero becomes superhero again

It might feel deeper because it's focusing on one character instead of 6, so that character is given two hours to breathe. Like Iron Man 1.

Spider-Man 2's plot didn't exactly set the world on fire either. Superheroing is hard, mentor becomes evil, superhero gives up powers, girlfriend is captured, superhero becomes superhero again

It might feel deeper because it's focusing on one character instead of 6, so that character is given two hours to breathe. Like Iron Man 1.

Dude, I'm literally noddingmy head in agreement as I read your posts. :word:

It might feel deeper because it's focusing on one character instead of 6

maybe a simple plot for SM2 but the dynamic of a hero whose life is going down the s***** so gives it up and then has to take it up again, not because he wants to but the world needs him was fascinating to me. this is no word of a lie, when doc ock shows up and takes MJ and you get the clocktower/train sequence, I was like, 'oh yeah, it's an action movie' I was that gripped by peter and what was happening to him out of costume that I'd almost forgotten the movie was first and foremost a superhero movie.

basically in the avengers sequel I want them to go 'empire strikes back' and be absolutely destroyed by the enemy and then when the avengers are at their lowest then we can get great character interactions and what it means to be a hero even though the job may get you killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"