Would you want Keaton in a Direct-to-DVD film?

Black Zodak

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Last night I had a crazy thought. With DC doing so many cartoon Direct-to-DVD movies, I got to thinking how cool would it be for Keaton to do a "BATMAN" film that was Direct-to-DVD. I can't see them making a Keaton film for theatrical release now that Nolan's films and the Justice League film are being made. But what about Keaton in a Direct-to-DVD movie? It would be a nice cap to the Keaton/Burton films (I doubt Burton would direct anything like this, but he might produce it.) If it was successful, they might even make more with Keaton as an older Batman.

Villians they could use would be Catwoman (Michelle, who is still smoking hot), and Two-Face (Billy Dee Williams). Heck, you could use any of the villians from the other films, as Burtons films take place in a whole other film universe.

Obviously, there is no way in knowing if Keaton would want to do something like this, or if DC and Warner would. But if they did, I think it would be a really cool thing.

Thoughts???

Won't happen. Shouldn't happen.

If you're talking live action, then absolutely not.

But the idea of doing an animated version of the Burton/Keaton Batman as an answer to "Burton's Batman III" IS tempting and intruiging.

CFE

When I mentioned a Direct-to-DVD movie, I meant as a live action film. But an animated film using Keaton's voice would be very cool too.

As for a DVD movie, if the quality and production values were good, would you all really be against this idea? Just because something is made for the Direct-to-DVD market doesn't mean its going to be bad. With most films, the majority of the budget goes to avertising. A good Direct-to-DVD movie could be made on a smaller budget. They still have the original Batmobile they can use, and the Cave design that was used would not be hard to re-create. Making a new Bat suit for Keaton would be easy too.

I'd be too afraid of it tarnishing what they already did. Let sleeping dogs lie.

^THAT I can agree with.

CFE

Yeah, um...no.

Whether people want to ignore it or not, Schumacher's movies were a direct continuation of Burton's. There does not, or should not, exist some parallel universe where Burton's Batman went off onto another tangent and remained in his Burton world. He BECAME Schumacher's Batman in Forever. Maybe Schumacher didn't do with the character what you would've hoped (I know I would've been happier had Burton stayed on), but it happened regardless. Keaton's Batman became Val's Batman, he resolved his personal demons and went on to becoming a stern but funloving father figure come B&R. Lame, but...it's there in the history books, no erasing it now.

Now given the fact that the series has been OFFICIALLY rebooted, and Christian Bale's Batman is undeniably NOT in the same timeline as Keaton, Kilmer and Clooney (who all, believe it or not, are the same character), a continuation of Keaton/Burton just doesn't work for me. Frankly, as much as I love their two movies together, it'd be a step backwards, especially as a DTV feature. And I'm sure even Burton and Keaton themselves would agree; I think it's safe to assume they've both put Batman behind them and moved on with their lives. We should too. We'll always have Batman and Batman Returns.

Yeah, um...no.

Whether people want to ignore it or not, Schumacher's movies were a direct continuation of Burton's. There does not, or should not, exist some parallel universe where Burton's Batman went off onto another tangent and remained in his Burton world.
He BECAME Schumacher's Batman in Forever. Maybe Schumacher didn't do with the character what you would've hoped (I know I would've been happier had Burton stayed on), but it happened regardless. Keaton's Batman became Val's Batman, he resolved his personal demons and went on to becoming a stern but funloving father figure come B&R. Lame, but...it's there in the history books, no erasing it now.

I know right! It would be almost like a director making a movie called Superman Returns that was a sequel to the first two Christopher Reeve movies and completely dismissed the other Superman films from continuation! What a silly idea.

Now given the fact that the series has been OFFICIALLY rebooted, and Christian Bale's Batman is undeniably NOT in the same timeline as Keaton, Kilmer and Clooney (who all, believe it or not, are the same character), a continuation of Keaton/Burton just doesn't work for me. Frankly, as much as I love their two movies together, it'd be a step backwards, especially as a DTV feature. And I'm sure even Burton and Keaton themselves would agree; I think it's safe to assume they've both put Batman behind them and moved on with their lives. We should too. We'll always have Batman and Batman Returns.

In all seriousness, I completely agree.

I would prefer a big budget HBO mini-series or a movie. since they are doing JLA (and there have been rumors about him in that one) which seems to stand on it's own separate (from the other movie franchises) universes, why not do a Dark Knight Returns movie separate from the Nolan franchise ?
I would love to do this, it's Keaton's favourite comic and Burton's as well and for the look of things given Nicholson's recent comments about the Dark Knight and The Joker, I think he would be up to it as well...

Hey everyone,

Last night I had a crazy thought. With DC doing so many cartoon Direct-to-DVD movies, I got to thinking how cool would it be for Keaton to do a "BATMAN" film that was Direct-to-DVD. I can't see them making a Keaton film for theatrical release now that Nolan's films and the Justice League film are being made. But what about Keaton in a Direct-to-DVD movie? It would be a nice cap to the Keaton/Burton films (I doubt Burton would direct anything like this, but he might produce it.) If it was successful, they might even make more with Keaton as an older Batman.

Villians they could use would be Catwoman (Michelle, who is still smoking hot), and Two-Face (Billy Dee Williams). Heck, you could use any of the villians from the other films, as Burtons films take place in a whole other film universe.

Obviously, there is no way in knowing if Keaton would want to do something like this, or if DC and Warner would. But if they did, I think it would be a really cool thing.

Thoughts???

a 'nice-cap' to the Burton-Keaton era would entail degrading the value of the original films to a B-rated direct to DVD release? no thanks.

plus, they'd never be able to get Michelle Pfieffer or Keaton, for that matter to do something like this . . .

I've said it before:

What I really want to see is a comic series in the style of the Burton Batman, perhaps written by Sam Hamm.

If it did happen i'd like it to be CGI Beowulf style. Looking just like the first 2 films. This way you take out age, fitness, to some degree you could even change Keatons size too, Which of course was a big complaint even though it never bothered me.

A direct-to-video animated series or animated film set in the Burton universe with Keaton would be heavenly. And that's the only realistic thing we could hope for. Not that Keaton would ever get involved with anything Batman ever again, except maybe some promotional stint with other former Batmen (charity, maybe).

I wouldn't want it to necessarily close off the Burtonman universe, but it would be great just to have another adventure. Or, if it were the direct-to-DVD animated series (animated in a realistic style, of course), then we could have a few more adventures with Keaton as Batman.

But really, a continuiation comic series written by Sam Hamm and drawn by Tim Burton would own all. I actually think that if Tim did that, getting back to the comics specifically, he'd close that chapter of his life in a better light with some of the comic readers out there.

If this project was real, perhaps it could be held by Robert Zemeckis, if it is not very close to Burton and that he gets better and better with motion capture. But I would rather if Burton felt for this kind of project, which is unlikely unfortunately. We can always count on B89 and BR!

Keaton playing Batman in a live action film that is not distributed in theaters but only distributed on DVD would be pretty much the equivalent of a TV movie. That would be pretty sad.

I liked Keaton, grew up with him, but he had his time in the moonlight, I think even Keaton himself would acknowlege that.

I have been said it somewhere else on the boards a while ago that I would love an animated direct to dvd Tim Burton's Batman 3. Have Keaton voice Batman, Use Danny Elfman's score and generally just keep the look and feel of B89 and BR. Tim Burton wouldn't even have to have that much to do with it if he didn't want too.

give me an animated adaption of The Dark Knight Returns with Keaton voicing the Bat and i'm sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"