X-Men ‘97 X-Men ‘97 News and Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!!)

X-Men 97 Season 1 is a 10/10. The only "weaker" episode was the Jubilee/video game episode for me personally. And it wasn't terrible, just okay.
My least favorite was Lifedeath Part 2, but at lot of that was following Remember It and getting antsy to see the follow-up to what happened and so delaying the aftermath a week annoyed me.

As a whole it definitely felt like Magneto and Cyclops were the main characters of the season, with a big assist from Rogue. The focus was primarily on their stories the whole way through.

One of my biggest gripes with this season is the Rogue/Magneto pairing. DeMayo retconned her age so that Magneto wasn’t hooking up with a teenager, but it was still super gross and predatory. And with Rogue on the boat with Magneto’s kids in his mind…yeah I hope that pairing dies quickly and is buried. I really don’t want season 2 to be an adaptation of AoA.

Meanwhile, Logan is pining for a woman 100 years younger than him. :eyeroll:
I don’t know if this was supposed to be snarky in response to a seriously gross pairing, but Jean is in her later 20s/early 30s, Logan isn’t in a mentor position, and she’s not vulnerable.

Plus it'd be a little difficult for Logan to find other 140-year-olds to date lol

His options would be... just Mystique, maybe?

One of my biggest gripes with this season is the Rogue/Magneto pairing. DeMayo retconned her age so that Magneto wasn’t hooking up with a teenager, but it was still super gross and predatory. And with Rogue on the boat with Magneto’s kids in his mind…yeah I hope that pairing dies quickly and is buried. I really don’t want season 2 to be an adaptation of AoA.
I don't have much an issue with the current pairing. Rogue is old enough and mature enough to handle it and he respects it when she says no.

The issue is the backstory when she was younger and he was mentoring her, which I find considerably more questionable than if they just hooked up in the present.

Meanwhile, Logan is pining for a woman 100 years younger than him. :eyeroll:
At least it was handled better than in Apocalypse where a teenage Jean calms Logan down hinting their future attraction later. :o

Reactions: Lip
I loved Beast in this series. He, for me, had some of the best emotional beats in the Genosha fallout during his interactions with Ameila and Trish, respectively.

Plus, I love when he waxes poetic while fighting demons in a psychic hell or hot-wiring a Sentinel.
Beast can do a lot just by being there and not needing to be front and centre. Really love the character and prefer him to be an ever-present.

I saw episode 1 and 2 when they premiered and like the show. So I waited until the season finished to watch all the rest. I enjoyed show. I was hoping to see
Cable and his story with Sinister and going to the future. They actually did it. Then they also showed the Shi'ar/ Kree war stuff. Made me think of the War of Kings and all the related stories. Like the Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar, Emperor Vulcan, and War/Realm of Kings. Gladiator is another awesome character with a great story. They even setup Onslaught from Fatal Attractions, the Askani'son, and Apocalypse rising stories. All my favorites. I loved all the Summers family focused season.

Wolverine really was put on the back burner this season. I always liked Cyclops so it was great to see him front and center. I still think Wolverine could've been more prominent. The only downside from the series is really what the old series did as well. They pick and choose story arcs from the comics and cram them in. The problem is they really jumped all over the timeline picking stories and smooshing them together. So the justifications for some of the stories are a bit off. When in the comics they usually lead right into each other. Like the aftermath of Onslaught is Zero Tolerance. Other than that it was a great season.

I can't wait to see all the
Apocalypse stuff. The adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix , The Askani'son, and Apocalypse rising stories next season based on the cliffhangers. We might even get to see the F4 all show up in Egypt.

I wonder if we might get to see Stryfe make an appearance some season down the road.
I also really like age of apocalypse
, it introduces another one of my favorite characters Nate Grey, He is what Cable could've been if he wasn't given the virus by Sinister as a child. So with all this focus on Apocalypse and all the different timelines. I hope to see The X-man show up one day. If they do Onslaught I hope they do AOA and bring in Nate Grey.

I’m not all that upset it’s over. Going to start the first of 100 or so rewatches right now. :D Roll on season 2 and beyond!

With Gambit almost guaranteed to come back as Death I predict we'll get love triangle part 2, only this time with Magneto on the losing end instead of Gambit. Love for Rogue is what will bring Gambit back to his old self.

I didn't like how they wrote Rogue in the first half of the season and the retconned past relationship between her and Magneto which didn't exist in the original series.
The issue is the backstory when she was younger and he was mentoring her, which I find considerably more questionable than if they just hooked up in the present.

Agreed. Having them start hooking up in the present day would've been one thing that would've been explainable (being able to touch, dark past etc) but retconning in a past relationship just didn't work in my opinion and made Rogue look bad.

But Magneto IS predatory. It's one of his key flaws. It's thematically appropriate to his character. The show didn't focus on him trying to get her into bed, it focused on him "manipulating" her to join his cause. And the Rogue angle was like the only "Magneto seducing others to his cause" bit in this series.

Almost all the characters have become flawed people, in some respect or other. I don't know how well that came across, but I think there's a dash of it in this season.

There was one thing I felt was missing from Magneto's arc; The Brotherhood; what's going on with that and so on. Seems a waste to have them running alongside him in the intro and then never deal with that. He didn't even try to convince the rest of the X-Men to become his new Brotherhood. I'm sure it's ticketed for Season Two. The New X-Men will need someone to talk to.

I don't think it's going to be just AOA. They're combining storylines, and Season 2 looks to be shaping up to be DAYS OF FUTURE 'POCALYPSE.

Last edited:
But Magneto IS predatory. It's one of his key flaws. It's thematically appropriate to his character. The show didn't focus on him trying to get her into bed, it focused on him "manipulating" her to join his cause. And the Rogue angle was like the only "Magneto seducing others to his cause" bit in this series.

Almost all the characters have become flawed people, in some respect or other. I don't know how well that came across, but I think there's a dash of it in this season.

There was one thing I felt was missing from Magneto's arc; The Brotherhood; what's going on with that and so on. Seems a waste to have them running alongside him in the intro and then never deal with that. He didn't even try to convince the rest of the X-Men to become his new Brotherhood. I'm sure it's ticketed for Season Two. The New X-Men will need someone to talk to.

I don't think it's going to be just AOA. They're combining storylines, and Season 2 looks to be shaping up to be DAYS OF FUTURE 'POCALYPSE.
Magneto wasn't affiliated with the Brotherhood in the original series. He did have Acolytes in season 4. I could have seen him recruiting Genoshan survivors as Acolytes.

With Gambit almost guaranteed to come back as Death I predict we'll get love triangle part 2, only this time with Magneto on the losing end instead of Gambit. Love for Rogue is what will bring Gambit back to his old self.

I didn't like how they wrote Rogue in the first half of the season and the retconned past relationship between her and Magneto which didn't exist in the original series.

Agreed. Having them start hooking up in the present day would've been one thing that would've been explainable (being able to touch, dark past etc) but retconning in a past relationship just didn't work in my opinion and made Rogue look bad.
Hope so about Gambit! :)

That never made sense in the 1992 series either. The Brotherhood was with Mystique, not Magneto.

It didn't seem like he was just trying to recruit her to his cause, at least in the present. He suggests that he doesn't think that his will is strong enough to lead Genosha/The X-Men without her to keep him on the straight and narrow, and while that could be a lie, what we see of his pysche later with Xavier in his mind in the last episode and seeing how scared Magneto really is and how it drives his actions suggests to me that he was telling the truth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"