The Last Stand X-Men 3...seriously fans/people--WHY all the hate?

There's really very little wrong with this movie. It's just a lot of fanboys who don't like what they got, and if there's enough of them it can create an attitude where they think everyone does or should view their opinion as fact.

Last edited:
There's really very little wrong with this movie. It's just a lot of fanboys who don't like what they got, and if there's enough of them it can create an attitude where they think everyone does or should view their opinion as fact.

If it was just fanboys who hated this film, you'd expect the critics would have been nicer.

There's really very little wrong with this movie. It's just a lot of fanboys who don't like what they got, and if there's enough of them it can create an attitude where they think everyone does or should view. their opinion as fact.
HAHAHAHA! :funny:
This post is inaccurate in so many levels that I don't even know where to start. :doh:
And what's your problem with fanboys? You're in a forum named SUPERHEROhype. :dry:

:doh: That was because of X2's success. Sequels always gross more than their predecessors. X2 did $100m more than the original movie, but The Last Stand did only $50m more than X2. If it had been a good movie and spawned a good word of mouth, it would have broken $500m, at least.

Last edited:
Spider-Man 2/The Dark Knight Rises/Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer say hello.

It really depends on the film, if it had already hit a high bar like Spider-Man or Batman 89, then it will be difficult to top the grossing in the sequel, expecially before the early 2000s, However, franchises like X-Men were only growing more popular thanks to the first 2 films being so well regarded, after X-3 and Wolverine, the franchise got more difficult to resurrect

You're right. I think if X3 was really great, I think it could have earned 50 more million in the U.S. Then the next film, X4 could have earned 300 million in U.S. alone. But with a spinoff film like Origins, I think it was expected it was gonna earn less than X3 even if it was good just because its a prequel and it was featuring less familiar faces to the series.

Spider-Man 2/The Dark Knight Rises/Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer say hello.

Rising franchises, not franchises that have already reached their peak (Batman, Spider-Man) or the ones that died in the start (FF).

You're right. I think if X3 was really great, I think it could have earned 50 more million in the U.S. Then the next film, X4 could have earned 300 million in U.S. alone. But with a spinoff film like Origins, I think it was expected it was gonna earn less than X3 even if it was good just because its a prequel and it was featuring less familiar faces to the series.
Let's not forget that Origins got hit with the one of the/ if not the worst case of pirating scandal before it's release.

:doh: That was because of X2's success. Sequels always gross more than their predecessors. X2 did $100m more than the original movie, but The Last Stand did only $50m more than X2. If it had been a good movie and spawned a good word of mouth, it would have broken $500m, at least.

No, not every sequel makes most than its predecessor.

Money made =/= film quality. Unless you want to start singing the praises of Spider-Man 3 and the Transformers films...

Do you remember your own post, which I was replying to? You said it wasn't only fans that hated X-Men TLS; for instance, you said, critics also hated the movie. My point? Critics and fanboys might have hated it, but it did good numbers so it's not like everybody did.

I'm not even touching the quality topic here.

Rising franchises, not franchises that have already reached their peak (Batman, Spider-Man) or the ones that died in the start (FF).

I'm talking in financial terms only, not quality.

Batman 89 did absolutely great, B Returns not so much, B Forever did good again and was successful, B&R was not. It's certainly more a movie-to-movie thing more than this 'if the previous movie made good money, the next will make better/if the previous movie did bad, the next will make worse' thing. If the previous movie was good it certainly helps, but it doesn't settle the deal.

People go to the movies regardless of what the franchise's peak is. Nobody knows what the peak is until the movies have already collected their money.

And why didn't you say that in your original post. :oldrazz:

Let's not forget that Origins got hit with the one of the/ if not the worst case of pirating scandal before it's release.

Still if there was no leak, if X3 had a great mouth of word from the fans/critics and if Origins turned out to be great too. I doubt it would have outgrossed X3.

Do you remember your own post, which I was replying to? You said it wasn't only fans that hated X-Men TLS; for instance, you said, critics also hated the movie. My point? Critics and fanboys might have hated it, but it did good numbers so it's not like everybody did.

I'm not even touching the quality topic here.

Yeah I do. There's no contradiction here. The idea that fanboys are the source of dislike for this film is a total myth, because it had a significant drop in critical ratings as well.

You point is irrelevent. People flock to bad films all the time, and it speaks nothing of film quality, or if those viewers even liked it when they saw it. The massive drop in numbers after the first weekend tends to support that.

The one thing I really hated in X3 (besides Halle Berry's awful acting) was the fact that the Phoenix storyline got shunned in favor of the cure.

And, as it turns out, the cure isn't even permanent. So it was just useless all around.

And Brett Ratner. I hate Brett Ratner.

I watched it last night and I liked it. Way better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine and X-Men: First Class.

The one thing I really hated in X3 (besides Halle Berry's awful acting) was the fact that the Phoenix storyline got shunned in favor of the cure.

And, as it turns out, the cure isn't even permanent. So it was just useless all around.

And Brett Ratner. I hate Brett Ratner.
Basically that's why people hated it in general. :o

Honestly, if the film had a little more time and room to breathe (F U Brett Ratner. I don't care if you have ADD, some people LIKE character development), I think it would have been a whole lot better.

As is, its a really fun fast-paced action movie that I still enjoy watching.

I HATED how they treated Cyclops. :doh:
Other than that, it's an awesome movie with some brilliant scenes, so the criticism is truly beyond me. We also had a great and climatic battle at the end, which sounds and feels very "X-Men" to me.
I loved the new characters.
They did a fine job. But Cyclops... well, that is the thing which "prevents" it to be a masterpiece. :doh:

It's 2 films that were planned to be shot back-to-back and run some 2 hours each as Bryan Singer intented, that was forced into a single 100 minutes film.

It is a fun action movie but very disappointing as a trilogy and franchise closer.Now that the story continues with TW,DOFP and Apocalypse it is definately a more acceptable movie.

Last edited:
X-Men 3 is a weirdly aggressive film.

Everyone is at each other's throats, even those who in previous films were friends.

Magneto abandons Mystique, who in turn sells him out to the Government.

Professor X insults Wolverine - completely out of character.

Jean kills Scott and Prof X, and tries to kill Logan.

Storm is annoyed with Logan's attitude, and is cold to Prof X throughout.

Rogue is angry with Bobby.

It goes on and on. It's beyond drama and character interaction, it's just constant agression from every character.

^ I agree. Especially why make Xavier aggressive and unlikable in the same movie he dies in?

Anyway,

I just watched a documentary on Netlix called Wonder Women about superheroines and female action characters. Clips of Jean from TLS were used to exemplify the sexist trope of a woman giving up her power to a hyper-masculine man. I can forgive TLS for being a terrible adaptation of the Phoenix Saga (my own ideas on what should have happened are quite different from the comics too), but I can't forgive it for it's completely lack of creativity and for perpetuating offensive tropes. Jean asking Wolverine to KILL her and then being HAPPY about it when he does actually disgusts me.

Last edited:
^ I agree. Especially why make Xavier aggressive and unlikable in the same movie he dies in?

Yeah like when he's really off with Wolverine? He felt out of character in this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"