Comics X-Ray vision...?

Andy C.

Repent, Harlequin!
Reaction score
Okay, in Man of Steel, it's been established that Superman's famed "X-Ray vision" doesn't actually use X-Rays, since he'd be giving people tumors every time he tried to scan crooks or whatnot. In the story, it's instead a combination of his telescopic and microscopic vision, enabling him to focus beyond the molecular structure of whatever it is he's trying to see through.

If that's the case, and there's no actual radiation involved, then why can't he see through lead?

That's what Kryptonite is for. Besides, they've explained most of the other odd weaknesses in superheroes (GL's inability to affect yellow immediately springs to mind) If Superman's X-Ray vision was still radiation-based, it would make sense for it not to affect lead. However, since it isn't anymore, there's no reason for it.

People seem to think lead is some magical material that simply does not allow x-rays through. But it's simply dense, and cheap, and that's why it's used. Make lead thin enough and not only will X-rays pass through, but visible light will too.

But yeah, it makes NO sense whatsoever for Superman's X-Ray vision to actually be real X-rays. There's the cancer thing, but also, you don't see by shooting light out of your eyes - you see by light going in. If Superman could shoot out x-rays they'd do absolutely nothing to help him see through things. And if he could see any X-Rays going INTO his eyes, it wouldn't help him unless there were x-rays being fired at him from behing the things he wanted to see through.

As for the lead thing - what it should be is that Superman finds it hard to see through things depending on how dense/thick they are.

1 cm of lead should be as easy to see through as a foot of heavy wood (or whatever the equivalent would be). Several feet of lead would be really, really hard for him to see through etc. Anything denser than lead would be harder still to see through, assuming the same thickness. The way something as thin as lead-based paint somehow is totally impenetrable to Superman's vision in the comics, yet he han see through a brick wall, is pretty ridiculous.

lujho said:
As for the lead thing - what it should be is that Superman finds it hard to see through things depending on how dense/thick they are.

1 cm of lead should be as easy to see through as a foot of heavy wood (or whatever the equivalent would be). Several feet of lead would be really, really hard for him to see through etc. Anything denser than lead would be harder still to see through, assuming the same thickness. The way something as thin as lead-based paint somehow is totally impenetrable to Superman's vision in the comics, yet he han see through a brick wall, is pretty ridiculous.

I'd accept that. Makes more sense than Batman being able to hide all of his little gadgets from Superman because he's got "lead-lined pockets" or whatnot.

His X-Ray vision does use X-Rays, but he's tuning his eyes into the X-Ray part of the EM spectrum. He also tunes into other parts of the EM spectrum to see through things, but mostly around X-Rays as stuff like Gamma Rays pass through everything, making it impossible to see when tuned into them. He doesn't shoot X-Rays out.

The Question said:
His X-Ray vision does use X-Rays, but he's tuning his eyes into the X-Ray part of the EM spectrum. He also tunes into other parts of the EM spectrum to see through things, but mostly around X-Rays as stuff like Gamma Rays pass through everything, making it impossible to see when tuned into them. He doesn't shoot X-Rays out.

Which still makes zero sense. So he can see x-rays, so what? - that would only be useful if there were x-rays flying about naturally as there is with visible light.

But there's not - there are no x-rays to see. To actually see through anything he'd need an x-ray emitter on the other side of it, facing him.

Neither way - emitting x-rays from his eyes or simply being able to see the x-rays that enter his eyes - would help him see through things.

Frankly I think it's quite a silly power that doesn't really fit in with the rest of his powers. I wish it had not been given to him but it's too late for that now - it's been firmly established as one of his powers for 60+ years.

lujho said:
Which still makes zero sense. So he can see x-rays, so what? - that would only be useful if there were x-rays flying about naturally as there is with visible light.

But there's not - there are no x-rays to see. To actually see through anything he'd need an x-ray emitter on the other side of it, facing him.

Neither way - emitting x-rays from his eyes or simply being able to see the x-rays that enter his eyes - would help him see through things.

Frankly I think it's quite a silly power that doesn't really fit in with the rest of his powers. I wish it had not been given to him but it's too late for that now - it's been firmly established as one of his powers for 60+ years.

There are X-Rays flying around. And, more to the point, he can probably also tune into other, more abundant parts of the EM spectrum to see through things.

I'm actually OK w/Supes not being able to see through really dense materials i.e. - thick Lead, Gold, and the skulls of some of the posters here on the Hype boards (Just kidding). I totally accept the John Byrne version of the character focusing through something. For us, the equivalent would be seeing through lace or bridal tule.

It would certainly make for a more adult understanding of the character and serve to make him more believable.

Cinderblocks, however, aren't that dense. They shouldn't pose a problem for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"