X3's competition getting slammed by critics!

Dark Beast said:
I just hope the critics will see X3 as a good action movie with a intelligent basis, then a rather bad intelligent movie with good action.

All in all, it looks like X3's got the better hand... for now.
Yeah, the ball's in FOX's court

sadly...:(

Strgts said:
Critics can kiss my white ass. I dont need idiots that probably most of the time get paid off to say certain things about Movies telling me what I think about a Movie.
I don't give a crap about critics, too -- but every time when I go to a library or an internet cafe, I always see half the people logging on to RottenTomatoes, Variety or IMDB to see which movies got good ratings or not. "Hey, this movie got a bunch of positive reviews. We should check it out!"

X3 is looking like we're finally getting what we've always wanted. A movie especially for fanboys. Not sure how it'll do with critics and general audience.

*shrugs*

*crosses fingers*

Strgts said:
Well if the Critics know the Comic Book History & how much they changed the Story this Movie is based off of. They probably wont see it that way

Most of them don't, you know...
Anyway... a good critic sees the movie just as a movie. It is what it is, and nothing else. Comparing comic-books with movies isn't really possible: it's a different medium with different possibilities. You can do a lot of things in the comicbook which you are unable to do in a movie. Storywise you have no limit like a couple of hours of running time for example. It works the other way around, too: Movies can visualize motion much better then in the comics.

Mr Lex Luthor said:
X3 is looking like we're finally getting what we've always wanted. A movie especially for fanboys.

I wish I could say that but thats obviously not true

i think its pretty obvious X3 will make loads... hell myspace looks great with the new add all over the place... i think it will make a very surprising (to the media) amount of money... the 10-26 age demographic is going to be HUGE for this film

Strgts said:
I wish I could say that but thats obviously not true
Well...aside from no Phoenix's firebird effects, no Colossus versus Juggernaut, no Sentinels in the final battle, Cyclops and Xavier getting
demolecularized.

spideyboy_1111 said:
i think its pretty obvious X3 will make loads... hell myspace looks great with the new add all over the place... i think it will make a very surprising (to the media) amount of money... the 10-26 age demographic is going to be HUGE for this film

This is not just some regular Comic Book Story we are talking about here. This is The Dark Pheonix Story I am sure is known to alot of People that are not even into Comc Books. This Movie will have to be SUPER DAMN HOLY ****ING **** FANTASTIC for People to not care about the changes. This Movie just has ALOT TO MAKE UP FOR

Retroman said:
The level expectance rises with the stars and the budgets. It's only human really. I mean if i hear a movie is costing 200 million. I want it to look like that.

No doubt X3 looks like a 200 million dollar film to say the least. What was amazing to me is that Ghost Rider had a 120 million budget. Up to the point that was annouced we only saw the comic-con footage but still. Can't wait till the first real trailer comes out on that one. Hopefully they're still working on the F/X. Seems like it with MSJ being a no show lately. That's good I guess

Advanced Dark said:
Poseidon was a 1.5 hour long action sequence that bombed at the box office and caused a "movie fund" to lose everything that had financed 50% of the film. Da Vinci Code is getting lousy reviews by almost everyone...http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/da_vinci_code , and while MI:3 is an awesome film (best of the franchise) it won't have strong enough legs by May 26th to cause any damage. DaVinci is in a totally separate GENRE from X3 that won't appeal to the repeat viewing maniacs that go to see X3. I expect X3 to have mixed reviews with 50% ratings at Rotten Tomatoes but the competition isn't doing any better.

I still say 85 million Fri-Sun, 100 million Fri-Mon.

Don't get too cocky, Advanced. Many of these numbers are coming due to people believing moviegoers are becoming much harsher and keener at the movie theatres. They expect more from their films nowadays and are getting tired of the crap from 2004 and 2005.

I'd say take a deep breath and calm down. X3 may not have it so easy, considering also some of the reviews its' been getting. And about Posiedon being 90 minute action sequence...what do you think some are saying X3 is?

Advanced Dark said:
No doubt X3 looks like a 200 million dollar film to say the least. What was amazing to me is that Ghost Rider had a 120 million budget. Up to the point that was annouced we only saw the comic-con footage but still. Can't wait till the first real trailer comes out on that one. Hopefully they're still working on the F/X. Seems like it with MSJ being a no show lately. That's good I guess
I think GR will benefit immensely from having more post production/marketing time than most 100 million dollar+ movies.

^ Yep. Hey I just noticed that the 1 fresh review at RT has been changed to rotten. Now 5 of 5 reviews rotten for DaVinci code. I thought something was wrong because the so called fresh review was negative. If the movie is as stale and boring as the critics say DaVinci will crash in week 2 just like Hulk did...but for different reasons.

i still have a feeling supes will hulk... makes the money because who he is, and the audience doesnt get what they expect

^ I don't believe that. Supes has been absent for awhile and the trailer is very nostalgic in a way. It looks like a quality Superman movie that should exceed 200 million with ease.

I'm surprised at Da Vinci's reception by the critics...there are some heavy hitters who are slamming Da Vinci; Variety, Hollywood Reporter....I must say...very surprised!

^ While I was looking forward to seeing DaVinci I'm happy as hell it's getting slammed and that Poseidon failed from X3's perspective. As a movie buff I was praying for an awesome Poseidon. I've been let down by 3 recent remakes with War of the Worlds, Poseidon, and King Kong. Just my personal feelings.

Advanced Dark said:
^ I don't believe that. Supes has been absent for awhile and the trailer is very nostalgic in a way. It looks like a quality Superman movie that should exceed 200 million with ease.
meh.. peeps are still complaining about him being "superboy" i really wished they relaunched it... i think that among other things are going to hurt it.. PS. notice the trailers really never show routh speak? lol

Lightning Strikez! said:
Wow, I'm really surprised at the reviews for DVC. Hopefully X3 won't follow suit.

And Advanced, 50% for an X-Men film would be terrible--there is no way one could put a positive spin on that, considering the film's 80%-plus predecessors. I don't expect X3 to surpass X1 or X2 critically, but I hope it is nowhere near those depths.

really? not even X1? very little thematic elements in X1 for me to say a movie with at least 3 crucial and heart breaking deaths in it wont be a better criticly accepted movie, i got you x2 that movie is fantastic and probobly the best made superhero movie (With great respects to batman begins and spiderman) out there but i have no doubts that 3 can't do better then 1

icecsm16202 said:
Da Vinci Code getting bad reviews? I didn't see that coming.

Damn I thought it was going to great. Even though i haven't read the book, but between the tralers, the hype, Ron Howard, and Hanks I thought this was going to be a sure fire winner quality wise. I still not so sure it's going to do poorly box office wise, but these reviews will hurt its overall take. I never really felt that it was a threat to X3, because they are two different movies, and is unlikly to have the same audience.

I don't take reviews from critics so closly to heart, especially with action, sci-fi, fantasy/comic films because they are so biased, they like stuff like Brokeback Mountain or those drama type films, well at least the mainstream critics, but I can say one thing i usually agree with them on is when they say a film is boring I don't take that lightly. That's what I heard on MSNBC or CNN that it was dragged on.

Strgts said:
This is not just some regular Comic Book Story we are talking about here. This is The Dark Pheonix Story I am sure is known to alot of People that are not even into Comc Books. This Movie will have to be SUPER DAMN HOLY ****ING **** FANTASTIC for People to not care about the changes. This Movie just has ALOT TO MAKE UP FOR
You live an extremely insulated life, don’t you?

L0ngsh0t said:
really? not even X1? very little thematic elements in X1 for me to say a movie with at least 3 crucial and heart breaking deaths in it wont be a better criticly accepted movie, i got you x2 that movie is fantastic and probobly the best made superhero movie (With great respects to batman begins and spiderman) out there but i have no doubts that 3 can't do better then 1

Well X2 was good, but it got mixed reviews as well from critics. I saw reviews on the opposite side of each spectrum.

I'm not surprised about The Da Vinci Code. All the problems the critics are describing are there in the book. To work as a film, it needed a substantial rewrite but it sounds like they went for a faithful adaption.

By contrast, the mainstream reviews for X3 are mostly mixed to good, so far.

I'm expecting DV to get an average 2/5 and X3 to get 3/5.
Or on Rotten Tomatoes, DV 20%, X3 65%.

Strgts said:

A lot of people have no idea about the Phoenix story from the comics. Sorry dude, while good I think us comic fans knew that changes were going to have to be made to put Dark Phoenix on film. Personally I don't see DP being given a lot of time, between this cure and the DP storyline I think FOX should have done a two movie tie in like Matrix 2,3. It's just to much to be done in one film, so we know that DP is placed on the back burner with this cure in the forefront. X3 should have focused on Dp with elements of the cure coming in and then X4 focuses on the cure. Also Cyke should be there to help Jean and not PHUCKING WOLVERINE. I can't believe that Marvel let that shyt go down.

SilentType said:
You live an extremely insulated life, don’t you?

LOL The average person has no clue what the hell the dark phoenix is and couldn't care less. The average person who saw X1 & X2 also have no clue and just enjoy the films for what they are.

yup... i had a friend say she couldnt wait for X3 but complained about the posters spoiling that jean wasnt dead lol

Jesus DaVinci is getting slammed hard. Dark Horizons review now at Rotten Tomatoes. 6 for 6 all rotten. 0% fresh. LOL Of course the studio plants will have raving reviews but this is real bad. Will Ebert & Roeper give it a shot. If DaVinci comes in under 30% it's screwed long term because of the audience it appeals too which is older and more sophisticated than the "Over the Hedge" crowd. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"