X3's Musical Score: Forum Discussion (merged 2)

Like what I said, I think that Spider-Man and Batman Begins don't have catchy tunes, but they're still good. With Batman Begins, it was more cerebral than heroic with it's score.

Octoberist said:
Like what I said, I think that Spider-Man and Batman Begins don't have catchy tunes, but they're still good. With Batman Begins, it was more cerebral than heroic with it's score.

I agree. X2's theme is the only Marvel score that could pass for an actual trademark or signature score.

Yes, The Ottman rocks. His score for X2 is going to be very hard to beat...

If I remember correctly, Layer Cake had a bit of a techno score. I'd like for the X-men movies to be more traditional and and era-less like John Williams score's. Then again, Vangelis' score for Blade Runner is classic and inseparable from the film.

Killgore said:
If I remember correctly, Layer Cake had a bit of a techno score. I'd like for the X-men movies to be more traditional and and era-less like John Williams score's. Then again, Vangelis' score for Blade Runner is classic and inseparable from the film.

Hey Killgore....

What do you mean by "era-less" though? You mean so the music won't sound dated 15 years from now?:confused:

Lightning Strikez! said:
Hey Killgore....

What do you mean by "era-less" though? You mean so the music won't sound dated 15 years from now?:confused:

Yeah. Classical scores tend to be more timeless than electronic and pop scores, and therefore are not pinned to an "era". Star Wars, Psycho, Jaws and the like are as fresh today as they were 30 and 40 years ago, compared to, say the Queen soundtrack of Flash Gordon. In the case of Vangelis, though and probably the Kronos Quartet, they infuse enough of a classicist mentality that their soundtracks age well.

Vangelis??? I thought I was the only one who listens to his albums. In fact, they used some of his Mythodea score for the X2 trailers.

In X1, there was some splashes of electronica. I wouldn't mind that for X3.

I was talking with bosef the other day and he mentioned Don Davis (composer from THE MATRIX films). I think he'd be an excellent choice. He could definitely create some memorable dark themes, particularly for Magneto, that could at last mirror Ottman's work or even eclipse it.

**in my best South Park Timmy voice***

DON DAVIS!!!!

is it suppose to take this long to know the composer.....

i mean common...we know just about every cameo now AND have seen pics of all of them AND we have a trailer!

Nope, he's on board. I'm looking forward to hearing what he's come up with for this film.

Lightning Strikez! said:
Nope, he's on board. I'm looking forward to hearing what he's come up with for this film.

As am I. Its probably going to sound amazing...

I don't know about anyone else, but I find the score to a movie about as important as the movie itself. It can conjure feeling and embody many emotions that are playing on screen. I couldn't find the other thread, about music, so I made this one, and I'm wondering if we can have a bit mroe in depth conversation concerning what'd we like to see or not see in X3.

John Powell is a very accomplished composer, working with Hans Zimmer, one of the most respected composers out there right now. He'll be taking over for John Ottman, who I feel between F4 and X2 is beginning to produce some of his best work, a unique blend of traditional and jarring blends that seem to work.

Now, I for one hope they continue some of Ottman's motifs from X2, but at the same time, some of Ottman's theme's were very cold. Jean Grey's theme is very warm, but needed a softer feel -- it was very chilling still. And in X3, I think we're going to need three themes for Jean: Dark Phoenix, Phoenix, and just Jean, sister of the X-Men. But then, Ottman's themes for the Lady Deathstryke fight are amazing IMO.

So, I'm wondering what Powell can bring. Even though it'd be a bit jarring in style, I'd almost like something like his Bourne soundtracks, with a tad less "techno," but nevertheless, Powell knows how to make kinetic songs. Just download or find tracks such as Moscow Wind Up, Bim Bam Smash, The Apartment, Berlin Foot Chase to see what he's capable of. Also, for softer music, check "Goa" and "Atonement" -- you'll notice again what he can do.

I think Powell could bring great things to X3, but I'm wondering what people would like to see thematically and action wise. More violins, choirs, or what not? Also, if you do go searching for Powell's music, by whatever means one uses in a proper format, find "On Bridge Number 9" from the Bourne Idenity soundtrack. It has a cue near the end, after brief pause, that sounds spectacular if applied to the Brotherhood theme.

I think a bad score can ruin a scene surely. Remember Fantastic Four...the 1st action sequence on the bridge. WTF kind of crappy score was that...not to mention the horrible editing of that scene. I'm sure the A-Team is behind X3 on all ends.

Advanced Dark said:
I think a bad score can ruin a scene surely. Remember Fantastic Four...the 1st action sequence on the bridge. WTF kind of crappy score was that...not to mention the horrible editing of that scene. I'm sure the A-Team is behind X3 on all ends.

For anyone judging Ottman's score by the film, I'd suggest you actually pick up his actual Fantastic Four score. It's actually quite amazing. They butchered his score for the film. They also had him composing music for scenes he'd never seen.

Yeah,..I enjoyed the score for F4...It was very reminiscent of the old Fantastic Four cartoons from the 70's...I thought it suited the overall tone very well..

-TNC

The issue with the Fantastic Four's score was the theme (or lack of). It's so generic. Honestly, Spider-Man and Batman Begins' themes aren't hummable but they grow on you. But sadly, FF's theme isn't like that; it's bland like the movie (OUCH TO THE X-TREME)

Well I couldn't tell you exactly what I'd like to see, except consistancy.

Obviously, this movie is going to have a different tone than the other 2, so the score of this film should be individual as well (as X-Men and X2 both were individual) but also consistant.

It was only for a short time, and (hopefully) only for the announcement teaser trailer, but I must admit, I was a little disappointed with the bass-heavy Hip Hop sounding beat used at the beginning of the X-Men 3 teaser (and this is coming from a fan of Hip Hop music and heavy bass) I like that the X-Men movies don't feel like pop culture statements with produced pop music / Hip Hop beats playing in the background of the fight sequences. I like that the ending credits roll to the musical theme of the movie, not to Dashboard Confessional, unlike another superhero franchise that I won't name...

(And again, I even like that song by Dashboard, even though I don't particularly like them)

All 3 movies will have had different composers by the time all is said and done. The first 2 movies have very consistant, yet individual, scores. To be honest, until I came on these forums, I didn't know they were scored by different people...

So I'd like to see individuality, however I also want to see consistancy. No blatant changes in terms of the score. No bass heavy Hip Hop. No pop stars singing to the end credits. But let Powell do his own thing.

well thank the lord that there will be no Celine Dioning going on.

I LOVED that bass beat in the teaser. I listen to it every morning at work. But that was just for the trailers.

but, X-Men has always been 'futuristic' therefore having some kind of electronica sound like in the video games and cartoons. Even Kamen added some of it to the X1 score which perfectly defined the movies. I also kinda liked Ottman's score which was more dramatic because of a more dramatic movie. I hope Powell evolves the score and makes it more epic. It's not really all about themes, you have to look at teh whole scope of the movie.

Well i loved Ottmans score, so i'd like some of it to be included in the movie but i think we will gat a whole new score.

Thank you for making this threed! i was about to make one mayself if no one was going to soon, and yes it is important. As geoge lucas says 70% of a great movie experiance is through Music and Sound. :up: :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"