Xbox 360 getting new CPU

Fading

---
Reaction score
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148098.html

"Chartered Semiconductor announces new deal to make smaller 65mm-process chip for Microsoft's next-gen console.

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot

One of the most common consumer complaints about the next-gen console is that its graphics capability requires a central processing unit which needs to be cooled by a constantly running, less-than-stealthy ventilation system. In other words, its fan is loud.
Some disgruntled consumers have even compared the 360's fan to a Blackhawk helicopter. Those same consumers will welcome today's news that the Xbox 360 is getting a new CPU which runs at lower temperature. Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing has announced it will begin making the Xbox 360's CPU using a 65-nanometer (nm) Silicon-on-Insulator (SOI) semiconductor technology. Currently, the Singapore-based hardware manufacturer company makes 90nm Xbox 360 CPUs under an agreement with IBM, designer of the CPU. The first Xbox 360s with the new CPU will go on sale in 2007.
For laymen, the change means that the new 65mm Xbox 360 CPUs will have more chips per wafer--which means lower energy requirements, lower heat output, and cheaper chip production costs. That is music to Microsoft's ears. "We look forward to working with Chartered on the production of such an important component of our Xbox 360 system," said Larry Yang, General Manager of Xbox Console Development at Microsoft."

Some of you guys will count this as good news and others as bad news. It's good news for those yet to buy a 360 as the CPU fan will be much more quiet, but for those of you that already bought a 360 I hope the fan isn't too bad. I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or not, if it has sorry, I looked thru and didn't see it and the news has been out a few months.

That was revealed when they found the newer 360 with HDMI inputs and the bigger hard drive.

That was revealed when they found the newer 360 with HDMI inputs and the bigger hard drive.

Ah sorry then, ignore the post then. I quickly scanned over the titles of the first 10 pages and didn't see it. I guess it does make sense to release the new CPU with the rest of the upgrades for the new 360 we were talking about like a month or so ago.

Actually, this has been known long before the Zephyr rumors started.

I will never understand how people can complain about how loud the 360 is. I mean, am I the only person who has my speakers in my room overpowering any noise the 360 puts out? I never even notice it.

I will never understand how people can complain about how loud the 360 is. I mean, am I the only person who has my speakers in my room overpowering any noise the 360 puts out? I never even notice it.

Neither can I. People just like to complain. :o

Exactly. Doesnt' bother me, I barely notice it. If it bothers people that much, go wireless and put it in the next room or closet.

The machine noise doesn't bother me at all :huh: Those people are just nitpickers :o

People will always look for an excuse to *****.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"