Xbox Xbox Series X Thread

hmm...I dunno how a cloud streaming device could be touted as the "largest technical leap," but I'm also not that knowledgeable on how raw power works either.
That's likely referring to the actual Xbox successor. I don't see a handheld being Microsofts primary device. Unlike Nintendo, they don't have the exclusive IP to sell it.

That's likely referring to the actual Xbox successor. I don't see a handheld being Microsofts primary device. Unlike Nintendo, they don't have the exclusive IP to sell it.
ohhhhhh I see. you're right, they're probably touting the next Xbox overall. here is to hoping they come up with a better name. I did not like ANY of their naming conventions after Xbox 360.

I don't know why Sony is causing trouble with the Activision merger, when they are doing the same thing that they are arguing about by keeping their titles exclusive to their consoles.
They are not doing the same thing. Not even close. Sony has always had exclusive games, Nintendo has always had exclusive games, and Microsoft has always had exclusive games.

And Sony has never tried to acquire a predominantly third party publisher of video games, and that's exactly what Microsoft got away with.

I do not agree with this, like, at all.
Some of his points don't make sense. Like Nintendo doing theme parks and movies means they're branching out of the console space... :huh: It's not the same as MS going multi-plat.

Though, I do reckon the current video game landscape is changing (or about to).

I just think all games that start with "X" in the title should be exclusive to Xbox ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Damn, this industry is not going well... Hopefully those affected get back on their feet ASAP. :csad:

and the hits just keep on coming.

Microsoft shouldn't received scrutiny for acquiring Zenimax too. A publisher is not a developer.

Damn, this industry is not going well... Hopefully those affected get back on their feet ASAP. :csad:

That sad thing is, with so many layoffs this year and last year, its sort of impossible for the workers to find work quick.

Kotaku just did a piece on Phil Spencer
Capitalism doing what Capitalism does.

Furthermore, I think a lot folks frankly do not understand what all these acquisitions were about in the first place. It was never about acquiring talent, it was always about acquiring IP. Same thing with embracer. Mass layoffs were always going to happen. Calling for Phil Spencer's head because the machine is working as intended is ridiculous.

Capitalism doing what Capitalism does.

Furthermore, I think a lot folks frankly do not understand what all these acquisitions were about in the first place. It was never about acquiring talent, it was always about acquiring IP. Same thing with embracer. Mass layoffs were always going to happen. Calling for Phil Spencer's head because the machine is working as intended is ridiculous.
capitalism kinda sucks, though.

regardless of why the acquisitions were done, it's ruining people's lives in the process. whatever their reason is doesn't make that okay. calling for Spencer's head (are people actually doing that???) is definitely blowing it out of proportion, but this news just continues to tell me how wrong it was for governing bodies to allow Microsoft to complete the acquisitions in the first place.

capitalism kinda sucks, though.

regardless of why the acquisitions were done, it's ruining people's lives in the process. whatever their reason is doesn't make that okay. calling for Spencer's head (are people actually doing that???) is definitely blowing it out of proportion, but this news just continues to tell me how wrong it was for governing bodies to allow Microsoft to complete the acquisitions in the first place.
I agree that capitalism sucks but unless there's a full-blown armed revolution in the states, it's not going anywhere. The triple A space has been toxic for decades, the only reason we hear about this stuff now is the online 24 hour news cycle. And yes, people are calling for Spencer to step down despite the fact that he's doing his job as designed. I left Microsoft in 2016 and it was best decision I ever made. They can take your job, that doesn't take away your skillset. Indie development is thriving.

I agree that capitalism sucks but unless there's a full-blown armed revolution in the states, it's not going anywhere. The triple A space has been toxic for decades, the only reason we hear about this stuff now is the online 24 hour news cycle.
I know, man. you're right that it isn't going anywhere but just like the ongoing war between Palestine and Israel, that doesn't absolve it from criticism for the role it plays in our society. it's not even just about the AAA space in video games.
And yes, people are calling for Spencer to step down despite the fact that he's doing his job as designed. I left Microsoft in 2016 and it was best decision I ever made. They can take your job, that doesn't take away your skillset. Indie development is thriving.
well I can't really blame folks for people calling for Spencer to step down. I haven't paid that close attention to how good/bad of a CEO he's been for Microsft's gaming division, but I'm sure those who feel strongly about it can make the argument of why it's time for them to hire someone else. the CEO of Microsoft directly, Nadella wanted to axe Xbox completely but Spencer convinced him otherwise but in turn, he has to justify the ongoing costs and because he kinda couldn't that's part of the reason why some of Xbox's games are releasing on Ps5 & Switch.

I know, man. you're right that it isn't going anywhere but just like the ongoing war between Palestine and Israel, that doesn't absolve it from criticism for the role it plays in our society. it's not even just about the AAA space in video games.

well I can't really blame folks for people calling for Spencer to step down. I haven't paid that close attention to how good/bad of a CEO he's been for Microsft's gaming division, but I'm sure those who feel strongly about it can make the argument of why it's time for them to hire someone else. the CEO of Microsoft directly, Nadella wanted to axe Xbox completely but Spencer convinced him otherwise but in turn, he has to justify the ongoing costs and because he kinda couldn't that's part of the reason why some of Xbox's games are releasing on Ps5 & Switch.
I'm one of capitalisms biggest critcs but until the population puts down their phones and physically does something about it, the online discourse around it is largely useless. Having a guy step down for doing his job as outlined is ridiculous. Don Mattrick did far more damage to the Xbox brand than Spencer has to the point where they're major focus is becoming the Netflix of video games rather than a legitimate hardware competitor. The only thing the XBox Series consoles are even good for is being a gamepass machine if you can't afford a pc which is by design.

I'm one of capitalisms biggest critcs but until the population puts down their phones and physically does something about it, the online discourse around it is largely useless.
I can halfway agree with you. I think the vast majority of us here can be critics of capitalism, but just because we can't really do anything to change it like we did with the Helldivers 2 policy doesn't mean discourse is useless. just being able to vent and have us relating is worth it, although yes you're right, it is definitely largely useless because it isn't gonna change society.
Having a guy step down for doing his job as outlined is ridiculous. Don Mattrick did far more damage to the Xbox brand than Spencer has to the point where they're major focus is becoming the Netflix of video games rather than a legitimate hardware competitor.
(I am just playing devil's advocate here, since again I haven't paid close enough attention to all of Spencer's moves to determine how good/bad of a leader he's been) just because Don Mattrick did far more damage doesn't mean whatever damage Spencer may have done is negligible. he's been there for 10 years so if people want to argue that he should step down, then they can make their case for it.

it looks like their major focus of becoming the Netflix of video has caused them to financially bleed and the bottom of their workforce is suffering because of it. that's the problem with capitalism and stuff like that just shouldn't be legal in my opinion.

I can halfway agree with you. I think the vast majority of us here can be critics of capitalism, but just because we can't really do anything to change it like we did with the Helldivers 2 policy doesn't mean discourse is useless. just being able to vent and have us relating is worth it, although yes you're right, it is definitely largely useless because it isn't gonna change society.

(I am just playing devil's advocate here, since again I haven't paid close enough attention to all of Spencer's moves to determine how good/bad of a leader he's been) just because Don Mattrick did far more damage doesn't mean whatever damage Spencer may have done is negligible. he's been there for 10 years so if people want to argue that he should step down, then they can make their case for it.

it looks like their major focus of becoming the Netflix of video has caused them to financially bleed and the bottom of their workforce is suffering because of it. that's the problem with capitalism and stuff like that just shouldn't be legal in my opinion.
I dont think you understand exactly how much damage Matttrick did. Xbox went from being the market leader of the HD generation to barely justifying their existence in the hardware space in an incredibly short amount of time. Spencer has been actively fighting to keep that brand alive over the last 10 years and isn't doing anything that anyone else hasn't done in his type of position. This is standard corporate procedure. Massive mergers typically result in massive layoffs. You trim the fat of redundant employees first, then trim the people who are underperforming which is exactly what they've done here. This is basic business. They'll get their severance packages and that will be that. Yes, they're bleeding money, but thats a blip compared the earnings potential of all these acquisitions. Unfortunately, it is legal and will likely ALWAYS be legal considering American politicians consider any type of labor protections full blown communism. There are states literally campaigning to repeal child labor laws. They couldn't give a **** about the tech sector unless it's Tik Tok and hurting Hollywood's bottom line.

I dont think you understand exactly how much damage Matttrick did. Xbox went from being the market leader of the HD generation to barely justifying their existence in the hardware space in an incredibly short amount of time. Spencer has been actively fighting to keep that brand alive over the last 10 years and isn't doing anything that anyone else hasn't done in his type of position.
you're right, maybe I don't understand the full extent of damage that Mattrick did. admittedly, I'm not as knowledgable as you on this topic especially when it comes to Microsoft in particular, but the last time we discussed I did disagree that Xbox was ever the market leader of the HD generation in the first place because back then it was Nintendo since it outsold both of its competitors.

And I can also acknowledge that the damage Mattrick did still trickles into Xbox's image even to this day, but that doesn't mean that all of the things Spencer did was good for the industry either. Maybe he did it all for Xbox, but it still hurts the industry overall. I don't particularly know why people want Spencer to step down but if they can explain themselves, then they have a case.
This is standard corporate procedure. Massive mergers typically result in massive layoffs. You trim the fat of redundant employees first, then trim the people who are underperforming which is exactly what they've done here. This is basic business. They'll get their severance packages and that will be that. Yes, they're bleeding money, but thats a blip compared the earnings potential of all these acquisitions.
I get that it is standard procedure. I get that it's basic business. I get that this is the way it is. but just because that's the way it is, doesn't make it right. they are losing money but they aren't in danger of collapsing. and for that reason, they shouldn't be allowed to slay their employees.

I say the same thing about any company that does this just because they're not continuing to earn the way that they do. like Apple that decided to take the charging adapter out of the package when consumers were buying new iPhones without reducing the cost of the overall package and making them pay separately for it if they needed it.

they not only got away with it, they used sustainability as an excuse, and on top of that, the rest of the industry followed. now if they really cared about sustainability, then they just wouldn't be manufacturing new phones every single year. if they did it every 2 years, perhaps their revenue and profits wouldn't be as high but they would still be in the green and they would still be making money.

would they suddenly be in danger of going bankrupt? no. but they don't want to jeopardize their power because their only priority is profit.

would Microsoft be in danger of going bankrupt if they didn't slay all these employees? no. but they don't want to jeapardize their power because their only priority is profit.
Yes, they're bleeding money, but thats a blip compared the earnings potential of all these acquisitions.
and that's exactly my point. if it's such a blip, then they can very easily afford to just take their losses while continuing to keep their employees on their payroll no problem. but because they'd rather not lose money despite it not actually hurting them, they'll just ruin these people's lives.
Unfortunately, it is legal and will likely ALWAYS be legal considering American politicians consider any type of labor protections full blown communism. There are states literally campaigning to repeal child labor laws. They couldn't give a **** about the tech sector unless it's Tik Tok and hurting Hollywood's bottom line.
it is absolutely unfortunate and that's why the only justice these mega corporations are ever going to see is nobodies like me and you calling them out on an online forum. at least we have platforms to point fingers to them and show them that we have a mind to think for ourselves and can see right through their facades for their cutthroat nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"