Yakuza 5

Soapy

Avenger
Reaction score
It will feature five cities and five playable characters including Kiryu, (now a taxi driver), Haruka, Akiyama, and Saejima (back in prison), and newcomer Tatsuo Hinada (ex-baseball player who got kicked out of the league for some shady dealings).

Other than that, there's not much information out there at the moment. There are some Famitsu scans floating around if you want search them out.

I'd love to see the scans, the idea of the new engine has me pretty excited.

I think it's telling that this series is getting a re-working after the team pulled off a perfectly good shooter in Binary Domain that proved they were above the dated mechanics of the Yakuza games this gen. That's not to say I don't like the series this gen, Yakuza 4 is in my Top 10, just there are things that need to be sorted.

For example there's reportedly 'seamless' transitions between battles and exploration now, which is really exciting and should help the game's pacing.

Loving that Saejima is returning too. Akiyama undoubtedly stole the show in Y4 and I'm happy to have him back but I really came to like Saejima and Tanimura too. I wonder how Haruka will look given that it's a few years on.

From Kenzan through to Dead Souls? Quite a bit, I think. Walking around the world just doesn't have the same AAA feel to it that a lot of this generation's open-world games boast. The draw distance is naff, character models and animations are all stiff, if you run a bit too fast then everyone wants to start a fight on you. Considering it's such a small space it's not very impressive.

Then there's the fact that most of the game's dialogue isn't voiced, the cutscenes that give Metal Gear a run for its money, the transition between fights and simple exploring. It just feels like all the games really received is an HD coat of paint in the jump from PS2 to PS3. And even then the visuals haven't aged well since Y3 - some of the NPC models are horrendous.

For me that actually all adds to the character the game has an sets it apart. I'd be completely happy if Yakuza 5 was almost the exact same game as 3 and 4 because I love returning to those characters and that setting every year and seeing what's new. But in a post-Binary Domain world where the team proved its blockbuster potential I can't see them gunning for anything but a complete overhaul in a lot of respects.

1cd7u9.jpg

photo-1dausb.jpg

fFQg3.jpg

Kmjv6.jpg

445urg.jpg

nTIUr.jpg

hopJK.jpg

eCzXt.jpg

Last edited:
Ah good ol' Akiyama never changes! :D

Kaz looks a bit like Date in that getup.

IF THIS GAME ISN'T LOCALISED I WILL MURDER A SMALL KITTEN!!

Are they using the Binary Domain engine by any chance?

I still have Yakuza 4 wrapped from last year. How is that game? Do I need to have played the previous 3?

Last edited:
Yakuza 4 (and 3) have videos that recap the previous games. (Yakuza 4 is great, by the way.)

yeah, Yakuza 4 is seriously fantastic. One of my favorite games of the gen with ease.

Damn this game is looking good. I loved Y3 and Y4 (though finding Dead Souls hard to get in to) but I'm damn looking forward to this one. It looks so pretty, and if they can "update" the game play from Y3/4 then it will be superb!

Hunting?! Interesting - I'd imagine that'll be a minigame as common as golf etc in this one.

I'm just really worried that Sega won't bring this one west.

That's a concern of mine as well. After Binary Domain and Dead Souls both bombed hard, which appeared like their big play to the west, and the fact that Yakuza has never been strong seller anyway, not to mention Sega's shaky financial situation... I think it's a real possibility unfortunately. :[

Apparently Sega is working on Yakuza 1+2 HD. Hopefully that makes it over here as well.

Yakuza 1&2 HD trailer

[YT]9TzEExtseaU[/YT]

Yakuza 5 TGS Story Trailer
[YT]bRcr5Ya9J0E[/YT]

Yakuza 5 TGS Gameplay Trailer
[YT]L2RZE4Rawb8[/YT]

take_my_money.gif

Please! Pleasepleasepleaseplease come to the west!

Oh that all makes me happy in my tummy :(

Yeah, come on Sega get it together and bring this one West. Stick Y1+2 in HD on PSN, and get this game over here.

So what are the Yakuza games actually like, like in comparison to others games/franchises? I've heard about them but only vaguely, and I've been curious about them in the same way I was curious about Sleeping Dogs.

The closest comparison is Shenmue, but even that isn't totally apt because Yakuza is more RPG-ish. It even has random encounters, but not crappy random encounters from 90s JRPGs, they're more like: Some guy pops out of an alleyway looking for some trouble, so you suplex him onto a bike rack and then he apologizes and gives you an item. That's typically how they go for me. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"