Your 3 Biggest Disappointments with the film

anyone else think they butchered Laurie's character let see:

- Her Hatred for Blake was non existent in the movie what so ever. So that right there takes the majority of the impact about him being her father on Mars out of the movie.

- Her Conflict with her mother was Non Existent aswell

if these 2 major things were added to her character she would mean so much more in the movie than just some ****e switching men lol

Now that the hype (both good and bad) is dying down, we still have a movie that is rather good (if not spectacular) that is extremely faithful to the book and raises many of the intellectual themes and questions raised in the novel as well as being visually stunning with solid to great acting all around (save for Akerman).

It may not be a masterpiece, but it is a fine film that did not tarnish the book. The fact that fans, of all people, are the ones who are the most angry with it will always puzzle me. After years of reading "It is not close enough to the source," I am reading, "It is too close." While there is truth to that statement, people calling the movie a failure because of it just continues to tell me some fans don't know what they want.

They never knew what they wanted even though they thought they did.

- Her Hatred for Blake was non existent in the movie what so ever. So that right there takes the majority of the impact about him being her father on Mars out of the movie.

Umm...no. While her hatred of Blake is not in the movie, the impact of finding out that he was her father pretty much remains. See, the movie expects the audience to be able to reason that she would not want to be the daughter of an amoral superhero who almost raped her mother, and that she would not have wanted to grow up her whole life being lied to about her father's real identity.

- Her Conflict with her mother was Non Existent aswell

What conflict with her mother?

"I don't want to be a costumed adventurer?"
"Mom, why can't I read Uncle Hollis' book?"

The few moments of sarcasm?

I am almost certain that in the Director's Cut, people will like Laurie more, as she has another character arc and some more development.

Last edited:
i hope so she really should of hated the comedian in the film they didn't even touch on that

I am almost certain that in the Director's Cut, people will like Laurie more, as she has another character arc and some more development.

Does the DC have the scene where Laurie argues with the Comedian at the party?

I thought the reason why she would be upset about Blake being her father was rather obvious? Don't know why people are complaining about that.

in the novel she hated him despised him you can say not like that in the movie.I say a simple grin/smile or a simple reply of i am glad he is dead, once Rorschach says the comedian is dead would of helped.

Does the DC have the scene where Laurie argues with the Comedian at the party?

I doubt it. Some of the dialogue from that sequence was moved to the scene she has with him outside the meeting.

Yes, she hated him in the novel, but there was what, two sequences of this in the book, and one "How could you go back to him after what he did?" scene with her mother, which was intact in the movie.

I'd have to say that my biggest gripe with the movie was the changed ending. I already knew before hand that it was changed and what it would be, but seeing it on film made me dislike it. It worked to an extent, but the link was weaker, IMO, due to the fact that if I was Russia, I would still target the US. They claim responsibility for his creation, and used him as their weapon for so long that Dr. Manhattan being responsible would set me out to lay blame on the US. The war would have still continued.

Didn't they change it by the bomb going off throughout the whole world? If it happened everywhere, I can't see how it shouldn't work. Everyone is uniting against God pretty much, the superficial one the americans have come to trust, but the rest of the world fears. And when the framing happens, everyone is forced to unite. But it raises the question: Why should Russia, enemies of the US be willing to help out that when the US had a God, the ruskies were afraid of him? Is it because everyone was now weakened, and it was better for everyone to unite?

Not as powerful, but it works. and truthfully, I was glad not to see a squid that sort of resembled a mutated vagina on screen. If people were already taken out of it, think of what would happen if they had it. Who knows how it would of worked on screen? Would it of been as relevent as the book?

I'd have to say that my biggest gripe with the movie was the changed ending. I already knew before hand that it was changed and what it would be, but seeing it on film made me dislike it. It worked to an extent, but the link was weaker, IMO, due to the fact that if I was Russia, I would still target the US. They claim responsibility for his creation, and used him as their weapon for so long that Dr. Manhattan being responsible would set me out to lay blame on the US. The war would have still continued.

Except several countries around the world have lost their major cities and are probably putting pressure on Russia to come to some sort of an understanding with the US. If countries all over the world don't come together to pool their resources and knowledge there's always the possibility that DM could come back.

Besides, seeing as how DM blew up at least two US cities it wouldn't really make sense to blame the US for what just happened. Americans didn't create him either: DM was a freak accident.

Um, I thought it was rather obvious she did not like the Comedian in the film. She shrugs about finding out he was dead and gets angry and yells at her mother for calling him "Poor Eddie." I mean she knows the man tried to rape her mother.

I don't get why people ***** about her "hate of the Comedian not being obvious." I don't think anyone thought it wasn't. Just because they took out the one scene where she drunkenly attacked and yelled at him, we're supposed to be lost at sea?

Something tells me if that scene was in I'd read, "It slows and drags the movie down by being too faithful to the book. It was already obvious she was angry at Blake, they just hurt the movie more!"

:rolleyes:

Something tells me if that scene was in I'd read, "It slows and drags the movie down by being too faithful to the book. It was already obvious she was angry at Blake, they just hurt the movie more!"

:rolleyes:

Exactly... Damned if it did, damned if it didn't.

I doubt it. Some of the dialogue from that sequence was moved to the scene she has with him outside the meeting.

Yes, she hated him in the novel, but there was what, two sequences of this in the book, and one "How could you go back to him after what he did?" scene with her mother, which was intact in the movie.

There is a picture of JDM in a suit and bowtie.....I dont know what that scene is from...but could it be the party scene?

It could be the picture he took with Nixon and that picture is in his apartment. I don't know, Guard didn't say there was a party scene.

But if they moved some of the dialogue from the failed watchmen meeting, it probably isn't in the DC.

oh i am fine with the film i actually love it i just wish certain thing went deeper

There's a picture of Laurie in a black dress with some men, wonder what that's from.

Some scenes should have played a little longer, like the scenes of Laurie on Mars trying to convince Dr. Manhattan that humanity is worth saving.

On the Laurie/Comedian topic, her hatred is still there, but it's not as palpable as it was in the book, which kind of undermines the revelation on Mars. Hopefully the director cut will expand on it.

Not enough Comedian...To the average viewer...They wouldn't think that Blake was that big of a deal when he mattered a lot!

At the end, same problem with GN...Rorschach gets stupid when attacking Ozy...The character at the beginning of the film/GN would never of made those rash strikes at Veidt.

And other stuff that hopefully soon will come to mind...

...Ending...

Meeting with Sally was bad...And last scene had bad dialogue...

Some scenes should have played a little longer, like the scenes of Laurie on Mars trying to convince Dr. Manhattan that humanity is worth saving.

On the Laurie/Comedian topic, her hatred is still there, but it's not as palpable as it was in the book, which kind of undermines the revelation on Mars. Hopefully the director cut will expand on it.

I actually thought about the latter topic. We really don't need to be shown this. I mean it's obvious, you would hate somebody who tried to rape your mother anyway. It didn't bother me on the second viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"