Iron Man 3 Disappointments of the Trilogy?

The Mandarin. It started off so damn promising.

Me, I wanted to see a classic Mandarin. Even Iron Man: Armored Adventures does a better portrayal of the Mandarin than IM3 did.

Extremis is a massive, epic moment in the Iron Man canon. To use it as a crutch to "modernize" a supposed "outdated" villian is just plain weak in an of itself. Thus, we got neither a good telling of the Extremis story, nor did we get a good portrayal of the Mandarin, and all the while AIM gets a completely foreign origin story.

3 facepalms in one story mechanic.

Killian is much, much closer to a classic Mandarin than IMAA.

Classic Mandarin was a mad scientist and superhuman martial artist. He used inventions and martial arts to beat Iron Man more than he did the rings.

Killiandarin is a mad scientist and superhuman martial artist who uses political schemes and science and super-karate-chops to beat Iron Man. He's actually pretty close to 60's Mandarin in a lot of ways.

IMAA Gene Khan is just a mafia kid who is completely dependent on the rings. Not like classic Mandarin at all.

This. Mad science and martial arts are gimmicks if not properly elaborated upon. Gimmicks alone do not make a character. Compare that to The Mandarin's speeches we were shown in the trailers.

Marvel reducing Mickey Rourke's Whiplash/Ivan Vanko to another throwaway villain. Handwaving Tony's family of thieves and butchers.

Except Kingsley's speeches weren't Mandariny speeches. They were really more Yellow Claw speeches.

Y'know what did sound Mandariny? Killiandarin shouting "I AM THE MANDARIN!!" while karate-chopping armors to pieces. Him calling Pepper his "trophy", which shows the hypermasculinity at the core of the character. Killian did say Mandariny things. You guys just liked the Yellow Claw stuff better.

Except Kingsley's speeches weren't Mandariny speeches. They were really more Yellow Claw speeches.

Y'know what did sound Mandariny? Killiandarin shouting "I AM THE MANDARIN!!" while karate-chopping armors to pieces. Him calling Pepper his "trophy", which shows the hypermasculinity at the core of the character. Killian did say Mandariny things. You guys just liked the Yellow Claw stuff better.

The comic character who best suits the quotes is moot; this is an adaption. The film character who delivered those lines was "the Mandarin" (after a fashion). Two different mediums; in one you expect a more solid version of the source character.

Killian is much, much closer to a classic Mandarin than IMAA.

Classic Mandarin was a mad scientist and superhuman martial artist. He used inventions and martial arts to beat Iron Man more than he did the rings.

Killiandarin is a mad scientist and superhuman martial artist who uses political schemes and science and super-karate-chops to beat Iron Man. He's actually pretty close to 60's Mandarin in a lot of ways.

IMAA Gene Khan is just a mafia kid who is completely dependent on the rings. Not like classic Mandarin at all.

It's all a matter of era I guess. I prefer the Magic Rings Khan Mandarin that I've come to know.

Regardless of that fact, it doesn't excuse the massive hatchet job that was done to the Extremis story, which the outcome should have been a healed Tony Stark with enhanced tech interface ability, in essence transforming him from just Iron Man, to the Invincible Iron Man, who then lays the smack down on Mallen.

That would have been a much better IM3 in my opinion.

Well, I've heard some Black apologists theorize that all the new armors in the film are all prototypes and done as a rush job due to Tony's PTSD.

Yeah, I'm not exactly buying that either. The only one they actually say is a prototype is the Mark 42. If they expected us to think that about the others then they needed at least to tell us.
yea i'm not buying it. I think the truth is Black wrote IM3 without much concern about how this reflected on past MCU films or what would come after(think the arc reactor removal) and worst part is marvel gave it the green light.

I guess ‘That’s Joss’ problem to solve’ as feige says in this article.
http://collider.com/the-avengers-2-scarlet-witch-quicksilver/

Too many to count. Iron Man 1 is in the running for being the best comic book movie. There's was so much potential for the series off that first movie but they just wasted it. I'll never rewatch a comic movie as much as I have the first Iron Man. I watched it so many times in theaters and at home. In my head I pretty much pretend the other 2 don't exist. Iron Man 1 is the only Iron Man movie. Avengers Iron Man was acceptable as well. Don Cheadle as War Machine is dreadful. Not nearly charismatic, fun, or masculine enough. I don't buy him as War Machine. And it always seems like he's acting.

Also Iron Man 1 Pepper = fun, refreshing
Iron Man 2, Avengers, and Iron Man 3 pepper = annoying

Iron Man 1 score also just a breathe of fresh air. So, so, so good.

[YT]dKRsQE0BGuU[/YT]

Last edited:
Well, I've heard some Black apologists theorize that all the new armors in the film are all prototypes and done as a rush job due to Tony's PTSD.

Yeah, I'm not exactly buying that either. The only one they actually say is a prototype is the Mark 42. If they expected us to think that about the others then they needed at least to tell us.

Uhmm, I was the one to throw that idea out (maybe others suggested it too), and it was a talk between me and my cousin about why are those armors so weak at the end. It wasn't a Black apology at all, it was a joke. :funny:

Yeah. I mean, sometimes I make stuff up to enjoy flawed movies more too. :p

John Blake's middle name is Dick.
Heimdall and Sif are adopted siblings.
Iron Man's arch-nemesis isn't really dead.
The technology to take out Tony's arc was a recent development.
Killian's watch is made out of metal that withstands a greater heat than Iron Man armors... -_-

Joss has already got a lot of problems to solve.

Its hardly "making stuff up" when the movie all but says it, it just requires the audience to actually be able to add 1 and 1 to get 2. *rollseyes*

Well, Pepper thinks he's only on his fifteenth armor, so this could imply that he's building them and hiding them from Pepper, which is something he stated to her about him being affected by the events of New York.

My disappointment in the trilogy is.....people's reactions to #3 0.o

I agree, just do not understand the hate, maybe to many people felt duped by the twist, but the story was solid, sound track was great, acting was as usual incredible, action was very good
Guess for me, I do not like dark and depressing films, like the Batman trilogy, I enjoy some humor, alot of this trilogy is exactly how Iron man is, but to each there own.

Uhmm, I was the one to throw that idea out (maybe others suggested it too), and it was a talk between me and my cousin about why are those armors so weak at the end. It wasn't a Black apology at all, it was a joke. :funny:

No, I wasn't referring to you specifically. Unless you happen to be BrowncoatEric over on youtube.

I agree, just do not understand the hate, maybe to many people felt duped by the twist, but the story was solid, sound track was great, acting was as usual incredible, action was very good
Guess for me, I do not like dark and depressing films, like the Batman trilogy, I enjoy some humor, alot of this trilogy is exactly how Iron man is, but to each there own.

Plenty of humor in the other 3 films and IMO it worked much better there. I can't really think of any of the jokes that fell flat in those movies. Here in IM3 it was about 50/50, maybe slightly more like 2 out of 3 jokes worked.

Its hardly "making stuff up" when the movie all but says it, it just requires the audience to actually be able to add 1 and 1 to get 2. *rollseyes*

Some leaps I can make but this is hardly a 1+1=2 scenario. It's compounded by the issue of even if that is what happened then once again we have to see Iron Man at a disadvantage in an end fight. For once can't he just fight the villain at full power? Avengers is about the only time that comes close and even that Mark 7 was untested, "skip the spinning rims, we're on the clock".

The lack of creativity in the villians. 3 movies, 3 villians that are all business rivals of Tony. I know they all had different motives but still.

Technically Obadiah wasn't a business rival. He was Tony's partner in Stark Industries.

The lack of creativity in the villians. 3 movies, 3 villians that are all business rivals of Tony. I know they all had different motives but still.

I could turn that around on Batman or Spider-man easily. With Batman it's themed gang leaders with psychosis. With Spider-man it's either mad scientists corrupted by their expiriment gone wrong or a superpowered thug.

With Iron Man it's evil corporate types and guys with advanced tech suits. It's just kinda his thing. Though I hope next film we get Ghost and Madame Masque. They would stand ot better, IMO. Maybe a smaller scale villain like Spymaster as a throw away.

Last edited:
Still would like to see Living Laser, the CGI on creating him would be awesome, Madam Masque is a must I think, again this is assuming there will be a 4th film, alot needs to happen for that, the 2 biggest being RDJ's willingness to do another stand alone film and Marvel wanting to pay him, if what they say is true, RDJ banked some seriuos coin on IM2, Avengers and IM3 and Marvel will not want to make that mistake again, i have heard he could make around $100 million just off Avengers and IM3, i read last year he made $50 million for Avengers then heard a week ago the number was closer to $75 Million, and he had the same deal fro IM3, so with IM3 killing it at the box office, he could stand to make nearly the same pay check, and Marvel IMO will not want to let that happen again.

At this point I think he is basically paid on commission. He gets a % of the gross. So if he delivers the goods box office-wise then why shouldn't he get paid more? I doubt Marvel has much of a problem with that arrangement. It basically means they don't have to shell out $20, $30, $40, $50 million to him and have that be actually part of the budget they need to recoup for the film to be successful. I'm sure they like not having to pay that a whole lot more.

Kinda disappointed that the villains in all three films were just dropped.I mean,I expected something about the Ten Rings to be tied throughout the films.Justin Hammer had an obvious "I'll be back" moment.But each film had little to do with the previous,where villains were concerned.

- The over-reliance of Robert Downey Jr. carrying the films
- The lack of a franchise defining villain (with all due respect to Jeff Bridges, if the Iron Monger is the best villain of the entire franchise, there is something wrong)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"