Your arms are just too short to box with the Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy ****. Did Punk write that line himself?

That's a line that has been around forever...I first heard it used in a traveling African-American stageplay

I just laugh at how you guys want pro wrestling to be gritty and serious.

There's a time and place for silly skits and jokes. And there's a time when you have to sell the seriousness of a championship match. World title matches and main-event feuds aren't.

I don't see the big deal and what's wrong with it. Rock/Austin was a rivalry that was taken seriously and treated as if there was a lot on the line.

And of course, if you're going to crack jokes, they have to be funny. A good chunk of the Rock's weren't tonight.

Sage, you make a good point in referencing Rock/Austin. I think it's Punk's characterization of a man against the company that puts money in his pocket that I don't find all that entertaining. To each their own.

I wonder what Brodus Clay thinks about Punk saying he's Shucking and Jiving?

I'm old (40). I became a fan in '84 at age 12. When I started watching, wrestling had a much more serious tone. Vince began to stray away from that kind of presentation during the Rock-N-Wrestling era, as characters became more cartoonish. But, despite being from the Northeast (WWF's territory/homebase), I always preferred the southern NWA/Jim Crockett Promotions style. I preferred wrestling being presented as an athletic competition as opposed to a circus. I still carry that preference to this day.

I know I'm generally not going to get that serious tone in this day and age. Maybe from ROH and the indies, maybe even occasionally from TNA (which I find myself preferring to WWE more often than not). But, as a whole, I'm not going to get that from WWE. I get that.

And, as Sage said, skits and jokes have a time and place. But if anything should be serious, it should be angles building towards championship matches...especially for the world title. I've been a fan of the Rock since the Nation of Domination days. But, I don't want Cookie Puss jokes in a promo building towards a world title match. (and yes, I'm old enough to know what he was talking about with the Cookie Puss reference) Granted, "face" Rock has always used corny jokes in his promos. And that works when you are going back and forth with a smart @$$ like Jericho. But when CM Punk is dropping pipe bombs, I don't want to hear him go into Cena-like mode. I want to see him bring the intensity to match what Punk is doing.

It's just what I, as someone who grew up watching Flair go word-for-word with Dusty Rhodes, prefer as a wrestling fan.

Wow.

So, first off: CM Punk's promo. I'm a huge Punk fan, he brought me back into watching wrestling for a short period of time. I think Punk would be successful in any era of wrestling, he's that good on the mic. I think what makes him incredibly perfect to be the star of The Reality Era in 2013 is how good he is at making you believe "his" reality.

This all started with that famous Vegas shoot, and I don't doubt Punk spoke from the heart and simply spoke the truth. But tonight was truth thru the lenses of "kayfabe". So he goes on this diatribe about glass ceilings and superstars being forced into characters (skirting the line of shattering the illusion of character for R-Truth, Daniel Bryan, and John Cena) but then he follows that up with basically telling the audience that he suckered all of them into cheering him by pretending to be this figment of imagination "voice of the voiceless".

The promo was gold. It keeps feeling like Punk is wrestling/pleading Vince to let him take the company in a different direction and we get glimpses of that in moments like tonight.

Then, The Rock vs. CM Punk. The promo I've been waiting for a long time. I expected a train wreck but it actually was quite good, but it was missing a couple parts that I thought could've made it an all-timer (it'll have to settle for probably the best verbal joust of the last year).

It's almost like The Rock was sorta listening to what Punk was saying but not really. So he went after Punk on being a fake and a fraud and not wanting to earn respect. So far, so good. But then he gets the audience to start some stupid catchphrase chant (right after Punk had called them sheep, kinda proving him correct) and follows that up with a stuttered delivery on a "Popeye" joke.

But on the other hand I'm amazed at how much respect The Rock gave Punk tonight. He put him over tonight in how he treated Punk and how he spoke of him. Last year The Rock came in and basically took Cena's lunch money in the promos, just viciously destroying his character. Tonight The Rock did nothing but affirm that CM Punk is a threat not to be trifled with.

I'm interested in seeing where they go with us, I just cannot believe it's going to lead to John Cena vs. The Rock, that seems incredibly unoriginal at this point. I think Cena wins the Rumble, Rock/Punk ends in a tie, it's Punk vs. Rock vs. Cena at Wrestlemania.

So the Rock ends Raw by doing Discount Double Check.

It was Triple H's move long before it was the discount double check, Aaron Rodgers even admitted that in an interview.

Rodgers made it more mainstream.

Didn't even know he was a WWE fan until he won the Super Bowl that year and Clay Matthews put a replica World Title on him.

It's always surprising to see many real sports people fans of WWE, such as Jon Gruden tonight and RG3 last week.

So the Rock can't win the title right? He isn't full time, so how could he win?

I feel like Punk was confined by kayfabe....and he was STILL better than Rock

Rodgers made it more mainstream.

Didn't even know he was a WWE fan until he won the Super Bowl that year and Clay Matthews put a replica World Title on him.

It's always surprising to see many real sports people fans of WWE, such as Jon Gruden tonight and RG3 last week.

I think athletes appreciate athletes. And it's a good escape from the real world. I think that's why most of us watch.

Football players have been stealing wrestling things for years. Brandon Lloyd doing the "you can't see me", and everyone in the world does the "RVD".

It's been awhile since I've been excited about anything having to do with WWE. I've been recording RAW to scan through it, rarely finding anything of value.

Enter THE ROCK.

I can't remember the last time anyone stood in the ring and actually came off as Punk's equal on the mic. Punk's pre-staredown promo was absolutely amazing. His give-and-take with Rock was the first time in months I felt like WWE was doing something important.

On the flip side, I hope that's the last week see of Skippy anywhere near the WWE title. Like Super Clown Boy, Boretista, and Randy Panties, he's another incomplete superstar who WWE is trying to force on fans as a main eventer. In other words, that's the exact reason why WWE has to rely on guys like Rock and Lesnar to come back and carry Wrestlemania.

So the Rock can't win the title right? He isn't full time, so how could he win?

The Rock is going to be around for the next three months. Winning the WWE title is strong possibility.

I feel like Punk was confined by kayfabe....and he was STILL better than Rock

Punk is so brilliant on the microphone it's almost scary. I feel like he brought his "A game" and Rock was forced to step it up. I think these two will bring out the best in each other.

So then the Rock wins the title, & Punk gets a rematch for Wrestlemania?

So then the Rock wins the title, & Punk gets a rematch for Wrestlemania?

Not unless he evokes it at the Elimination Chamber ppv, where he conveniently loses, or not unless Cena wins the rumble and challenges the rock for it.

I haven't had cable since August, so I have no idea what you are saying. Punk is still Champ right? I thought that Rock was taking on the champ?

So if he wins, then Punk could get the title back before Mania. Then, Boom! Rematch.

What is going on with Lesnar?

Please tell me AJ is still around. So tasty she is....mmm

I haven't had cable since August, so I have no idea what you are saying. Punk is still Champ right? I thought that Rock was taking on the champ?

So if he wins, then Punk could get the title back before Mania. Then, Boom! Rematch.

What is going on with Lesnar?

Please tell me AJ is still around. So tasty she is....mmm

1. CM Punk is STILL the WWE Champion. He's been champ for 414 Days I believe.

2. The given belief is that Cena might be the one to contest with the Rock at this year's Wrestlemania event, thus going for a "twice in a lifetime" mark up; either that, or we're hopeful that they'll make it a triple threat match at the event instead, with CM Punk includded

3. Lesnar hasn't been seen since beating Triple H at 2012's Summerslam event; story line is that he quit the company. The belief is that Triple H will get a rematch at Wrestlemania

4. AJ is still here; albeit now as a heel and with Ziggler after having a brief fling with Cena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"