World Your favorite Superman: Which actor did it best?

Ponyboy

Serenity now!
Reaction score
You can vote for more than one!

I know there are other versions of Superman but I thought we'd keep to the fairly known ones.

So, choose. But choose wisely.

5856122162_166af617d2_z.jpg

Last edited:
Chris Reeve, Tom Welling, Tim Daly - in that order.

I like Brandon Routh as a person and actor, but was never completely sold on his look or his mannerisms as Superman so he doesn't get in my top 3. Only have slight familiarity with the rest of them, but to me the 3 guys I named above really embody the fundamental aspects of the 'Superman' character - his strength, compassion, determination, reserve and physical presence.

Chris Reeve, Tom Welling, Tim Daly - in that order.

I like Brandon Routh as a person and actor, but was never completely sold on his look or his mannerisms as Superman so he doesn't get in my top 3. Only have slight familiarity with the rest of them, but to me the 3 guys I named above really embody the fundamental aspects of the 'Superman' character - his strength, compassion, determination, reserve and physical presence.

Interesting, & thoughtful, way to put it.

Christopher Reeve no contest! it's like he literally stepped out of the comic books.

I thought you guys would be all over this like white on rice and a paper plate in a snow storm.

Christopher Reeve IS Superman! Good luck to the new guy....

Christopher Reeve definitely. But all of the others were also perfect. Reeve was just more than perfect.

Christopher Reeve was better than all the others, but I liked them too.

For me personally:

Dean Cain
Tim Daly
Chris Reeve
George Reeves
Gerard Christopher
John Newton
Brandon Routh

and I'm sorry, but I just don't count Tom Welling. I loved Smallville at times, but the only way I could really enjoy it was to accept it had nothing to do with Superman... they just wanted it too.

For me personally:

Dean Cain
Tim Daly
Chris Reeve
George Reeves
Gerard Christopher
John Newton
Brandon Routh

and I'm sorry, but I just don't count Tom Welling. I loved Smallville at times, but the only way I could really enjoy it was to accept it had nothing to do with Superman... they just wanted it too.
But, now, after the Finale, Welling does count, even if he didn't before, because of this:
Supes7.png

Kirk Alynn was the first, and I think he adequately recreated the character from the very simple comics of the time.

George Reeves bought his own charm and warmth to the role, but could be imposing when needed. Alex Ross' Superman is partly based on him. Very entertaining and a good leading man.

Christopher Reeve is the best onscreen superhero ever.

John Newton and Gerard Christopher were both very decent from what clips I have seen of the show.

Dean Cain was a great Clark but a lousy Superman. He just had no gravitas or authority.

I think we can include Tom Welling as he was playing Superman in all but name (and costume) from season nine onwards. He brings an innocence and almost naive decency to the character. Although he lacked a certain amount of onscreen authority, he very much convinced as a 'chosen one' and a saviour.

Brandon Routh, as much as he was imitating Christopher Reeve (and he was, even down to specific facial expressions) brought an angelic aloofness which I found very interesting.

for me in this order:
1. Christopher Reeve (in his own class)
2. Brandon Routh (made the part his own)
3. Tim Daly & George Newburn (spot on considering they were animated)
4. Dean Cain (great 1990's look)
5. Tom Welling (from boy to hero well done)

Reeve and Routh.

Kudos to Alyn and Reeves for being the firsts.

I liked Christopher Reeve's Superman but I liked Brandon Routh's Clark Kent.

I we talk about recent actors then the order would be Routh, Welling, Dean Cain.

looking forward to Henry Cavill's version of Supes.

For me they all brought something to the role but without a doubt in live acion no one did it better than Christopher Reeve.

As for animation Tim Daly is by far the best but George Newbern also brought something fantastic to the role.

I have noticed there are a few animated Superman's missing from the list aswell as Kirk Alyn.

I can't stand the Christopher Reeve movies, my Superman in live action is the one done by Dean Cain and the animated one by Tim Daily.

I've always said this:

Best Superman - Christopher Reeve
Best Clark Kent - Dean Cain
Best Display of Superpowers - Brandon Routh
Best teenage Clark - Tom Welling

I can't stand the Christopher Reeve movies, my Superman in live action is the one done by Dean Cain and the animated one by Tim Daily.

Finally! Someone with the same opinion as me on that! :)

It's ridiulously rare to find Superman fans who will openly admit they hate the Reeve movies.

Even I find myself putting him higher up the list than I'd like... mainly because I feel like I have to accept that he was a great Superman BECAUSE he's so popular... even if I just don't see it.

I can't believe this is even a thread... Chris Reeve, no contest with Superman!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"