The Dark Knight Rises Your favourite TDKR scenes that you watch over and over again...

I just love the whole film. I've watched the film too many times to count. My favorite fight would have to be the first bane vs batman fight. That fact that batman gets smashed is great. In the other films we never really see batman lose in a fight but its good to see something different.

As almost everyone said, the climb out of the pit is definitely a major highlight. I also really love the first attempt a lot too. The less bombastic version of "Why Do We Fall?" is a great touch, as we see just how enormous and impossible the task ahead of Bruce is. The music fills you with hope and inspiration, only to break it all back down when Bruce fails to make the jump.

Then when he finally makes the climb...it's one of those scenes I literally have not been able to watch without getting goosebumps. When those bats come flying out...gets me every time. The ending of TDK was like that for me. Neither of these scenes lose a bit of power no matter times I watch them.

Another one I can watch over again is Bane's second scene down in the sewers. It just says so much at once. It shows you what Gotham has come to that regular Gothamites are joining this man's army, shows you how fierce and unforgiving a leader Bane is, and also just how large the scale is of whatever they're planning. It's a very foreboding scene. After just seeing Bruce limping around on a cane, the knowledge that he will eventually have to cross paths with that guy becomes an extremely unpleasant thought. And Hardy just looks straight beast in that scene.

"No, I came back to stop you." means a whole lot from Batman especially with stopping the League being Bruce's final act as Batman. It didn't feel generic at all when thinking of what it means to Batman for returning and doing this one last thing as Batman.

You're right, 'generic' was the wrong word. I think it was, rather, too obvious. Like we should have been able to read all that just from seeing the determination in Batman's face. We had all the context already.

It didn't need to be said, just like 'So that's how that feels' didn't need to be said - well, maybe less so than that example.

In short: Silence can sometimes be more powerful and emotive than a one-liner.

The movie, for me, had a recurring problem with over-explaining the wrong things while not better explaining other things that needed it.

You're right, 'generic' was the wrong word. I think it was, rather, too obvious. Like we should have been able to read all that just from seeing the determination in Batman's face. We had all the context already.

It didn't need to be said, just like 'So that's how that feels' didn't need to be said - well, maybe less so than that example.

In short: Silence can sometimes be more powerful and emotive than a one-liner.

The movie, for me, had a recurring problem with over-explaining the wrong things while not better explaining other things that needed it.

The bolded part is what it essentially boils down to. I don't really have a problem with the line, but the truth is, it's way too captain obivous-esque. Take, for example, Batman's comeback in BB when he arrives to stop Ra's after he's activated the micro-emitter: "It ends here" is perhaps just as simple, but sounds way more badass.

I think that particular Batman/Bane scene would've been so much better had Batman glided down from the Bat and kicked Bane out of nowhere. Would've been a great shot/sequence, me thinks.

"I came back to stop you" was definitely more of a Superman-type line than a typical Batman line.

To be fair though, this was a Batman who was leading the police force out in broad daylight and one who knew he was on the last mission of his career. I think the line kind of speaks to that a bit. He's back for one last thing...stopping Bane.

Actually...I think the line would have come off a lot better if he hadn't said "No...". The pause there makes you anticipate some awesome one-liner. It should have just been,

"So, you came back to die with your city?"

"I came back to stop you" PUNCH

Last edited:
Actually...I think the line would have come off a lot better if he hadn't said "No...". The pause there makes you anticipate some awesome one-liner. It should have just been,

"So, you came back to die with your city?"

"I came back to stop you" PUNCH

Yeah, I agree. The inclusion of 'No', surprisingly, makes a dramatic difference. Your suggestion would've been much smoother.

I also feel like maybe the line exchange was too slow, it felt like it was part of the fight choreography rehearsal or something.

They like stood around waiting to throw the first blow until the line was finished, like 'here's step 1, here's step 2, now you try to punch me'.

That seems kinda silly to me, unnatural, stiff. If I were the director, I would've had Batman still approaching as Bane throws the remark at him, and Batman replies AS he reaches Bane, mid-attack.

Bane isn't one to 'stand on ceremony' after all, and I suspect Batman is very keen to that by this point.

Does Batman care about what Bane thinks though with not standing on ceremony or what not? Lol.

Does Batman care about what Bane thinks though with not standing on ceremony or what not? Lol.

The point is, why does he bother doing it?

During the first battle, Bane is like 'skip the BS and let's do this', so Batman proceeds to rush him. No one-liner necessary. I preferred that.

The point is, why does he bother doing it?

During the first battle, Bane is like 'skip the BS and let's do this', so Batman proceeds to rush him. No one-liner necessary. I preferred that.

And that's why Batman also failed in the first battle because Batman grew an ego and thought Bane was just a typical mercenary of sorts. It's the exact opposite in the second battle as 'No, I came back to stop you.' caught Bane off guard who ended up rushing Batman in the second battle.

I don't recall him being caught off-guard... I also don't view it as necessarily reckless in either case. There's not much else Batman could have done at that point (in the first battle), so he obliged the request and dispensed with the BS, which I found cool.

I have a question: A few people listed 'The Jump' as one of their favorite bits of the film.

Do you guys mean when Bruce jumps from the hospital window with the wire to visit Gordon? Or do you mean when he jumps for the next rock/step a number of times trying to climb out of the pit?

Was there another jump?

I don't recall him being caught off-guard... I also don't view it as necessarily reckless in either case. There's not much else Batman could have done at that point (in the first battle), so he obliged the request and dispensed with the BS, which I found cool.

I definitely find the two battles having the exact opposite feelings towards each other. In the first battle it becomes Bane's way with the fighting, with the "let's not stand on ceremony" aspect, and with Batman thinking he can handle Bane with a snap of the finger whereas the second was all about Batman calculating every move as much as Bane did in the first round, making his presence known, saying and doing what he wanted until the very end when he proclaimed he'll give Bane permission to die.

I have a question: A few people listed 'The Jump' as one of their favorite bits of the film.

Do you guys mean when Bruce jumps from the hospital window with the wire to visit Gordon? Or do you mean when he jumps for the next rock/step a number of times trying to climb out of the pit?

Was there another jump?

I'm sure people are referring to the jump in the Pit.

If the idea were really to surprise Bane, I would've liked Batman to appear out of nowhere, standing there dark and ominously. Seeing him stroll up in the middle of the day and throw some thugs aside, then stand around trading back a one-liner at Bane's sneer and waiting for the choreography to begin, was a little underwhelming in shock value.

Remember the way he first appeared to Rachel in Begins? :up:

Batman can easily appear randomly and in an ominous way at night though. Way different during the day, lol.

They at least tried to have some of that factor with using that fog while Batman appeared to Bane, though.

I couldn't say which scene I've come back to watch the most, but there are a few that stick out for special reason. One is the "break up" scene between Alfred and Bruce. I just love that in a huge tent-pole blockbuster like this there is a scene of such quiet intensity, where two characters literally do nothing but talk. It's stuff like that that makes these movies stand apart from regular action flick affair. Another moment that grabbed me during my last viewing of the film was the very small moment when Bruce stands on his own again in the pit. The camera just rests on him through the cages of the prison for a while with no music or anything else going on. A profoundly understated and human moment.

there are a lot of 'silent' moments.

-Alfred and Bruce's break-up
-After Bruce's back is broken, with Blake appearing at the manor
-The winter transition shot with the tumblr in the streets
-The shot of Bruce standing in the prison after his hallucination
-The shot of the officers before they charge

On one hand, I feel like they hurt the pacing, 'cause each time it brings the movie to a halt in a sense.
However, it also ends up adding to the movie's epic feel. It really feels the movie spans a long period of time.

Compare this to TDK, where it feels like one long night, and the music almost never stops. I'm glad that TDKR went for something different.

The opening scene - "Or perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man, before throwing him out of a plane."

Batman and Bane's first fight - "Ah, yes! I was wondering what would break first. Your spirit, or your body!"

Bane's speech - "You have been supplied with a false idol, to stop you tearing down this corrupt city!"

Bane's death - "You'll just have to imagine the fire."

I wonder if Nolan, having Robin being in this film, wanted to give us at least one scene of the two working side-by-side even while the audience didn't know while watching the film for the first time.
Yeah but its too bad that "Robin" only hit one guy

And there was " bam" or "cruk" like in the old series :cmad:

I love watching the return of Batman, especially when law enforcement is swirling around him, and he sees a car that look like Rachel's jalopy as an escape.

Also love seeing the Bat fly through the morning sky and dodge the missiles, beyond awesome

Probably Batman's return, everything about it is perfect. Even the sound design in the shot of the Batman racing through the dark and all you see is the blue light of the EMT gun, and hear a weird "Wooo" as Batman storms past cop cars.

I also love Batman and Gordon's final scene together, Batman's last line, the score and the pull away shot of Gordon as the Bat takes off and Gordon's scar blows in the wind, and he finally makes the connection of Batman's identity.

When I first saw the film, I have to admit that I didn't feel the emotional punch of Batman's last line to Gordon that a lot of fans seemed to feel. I think I was just so overwhelmed by the film up to that point that I was numbed out and thought it was lacking something. I was totally wrong. Now when I watch it, especially knowing that it's Bruce's final line in the trilogy, it gives me chills every time. It is such a well-earned payoff...Gordon finally understands why Batman accepted it when he tried to thank him :waa:. And it's just awesome that Batman is able to make his "last words" a reaffirmation of his mission statement while revealing his identity to his old friend. Ugh, it's beautiful.

When I first saw the film, I have to admit that I didn't feel the emotional punch of Batman's last line to Gordon that a lot of fans seemed to feel. I think I was just so overwhelmed by the film up to that point that I was numbed out and thought it was lacking something. I was totally wrong. Now when I watch it, especially knowing that it's Bruce's final line in the trilogy, it gives me chills every time. It is such a well-earned payoff...Gordon finally understands why Batman accepted it when he tried to thank him :waa:. And it's just awesome that Batman is able to make his "last words" a reaffirmation of his mission statement while revealing his identity to his old friend. Ugh, it's beautiful.

One other thing I got from that scene, apart from the emotional punch, was how it came through that Gordon was one of the only ones to have understood Batman's purpose as a symbol from the beginning. He says to Batman 'I never cared who you were'. That to me tells me that he could've always found out who Batman was, but chose not to because of the value of the symbol he represented.

Plane heist. Score playing alongside the scene, jaw dropping special effects, and Bane calmly telling Dr. Pavel that now is not the time for fear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"