Your thoughts on Yoda using a lightsaber

pr0xyt0xin

Shaper Savant
Reaction score
I'm making a fanedit of the prequel trilogy for my own enjoyment and I have the opportunity to slice out any scene of Yoda using a lightsaber (actually not too hard). But I'm truly not sure about my feelings on the matter.

Do you like Yoda using a lightsaber?

As a younger Jedi, it's totally fine. But for the Yoda we know, I don't like it.

Didn't really bother me. I wish it were saved for Sith though, seeing his desperation in attempting to stop Palpatine he resorts to his oldest weapon, his lightsaber.

I liked it. I know some had issues with it, but i'm glad we got to see that side of Yoda. We had only seen the old wise jedi one. It was cool to see he was capable of picking up his lightsaber and kicking some butt.

i sometimes feel he wouldn't be caught dead wielding a lightsaber. The amount of energy he must expel calling upon the force to jump around like a grasshopper with his tiny frail body seems like it would be far less than the amount of energy to just be a Force wizard like he should be. He shouldve battled with his mind and with force telekinesis 90% of the time.

I don't mind him having a lightsaber but the way he fights in the prequels was laughably bad. It was completely antithetical to what the character was in the OT. The whole point was to illustrate that with the force stature and physical strength didn't matter. It wasn't about being a "great warrior", it was an internal power and understanding that superseded the flesh and was not to be used for offense. It's astounding how all that was thrown away in the Episode II fight in favor of a cartoon cricket flipping around an elderly man.

i sometimes feel he wouldn't be caught dead wielding a lightsaber. The amount of energy he must expel calling upon the force to jump around like a grasshopper with his tiny frail body seems like it would be far less than the amount of energy to just be a Force wizard like he should be. He shouldve battled with his mind and with force telekinesis 90% of the time.

The trouble of finally having Sidious and Yoda finally fighting is that with the powers established (telekinesis, lightning and absorbing lightning) is that they're pretty boring, and don't lend themselves to duels (see Attack of the Clones). But lightsbers clashing with bouts of lightning being thrown, absorbed, objects thrown is more interesting.

The trouble is, they were separated into three distinct sections, rather than one battle.

I didn't mind it at all. I liked the contrast from the OT.

Christopher Lee must have looked pretty ridiculous waving around a stick at nothing for days of shooting.

Didn't really bother me. I wish it were saved for Sith though, seeing his desperation in attempting to stop Palpatine he resorts to his oldest weapon, his lightsaber.

This is how I feel. Would have been better saving it for ROTS.

I don't really like Yoda using a saber. Or Palpatine for that matter. I kind of wish they were above that.

Last edited:
Heck, Fightin' Yoda and Flyin' Artoo were pretty much the highlights of AOTC for me.

They might be above it but at the same time I want to know that both Yoda and Palpatine CAN excel with lightsabers when the time comes.

Grass is always GREENER on the other side.

Get it Coral?

No. Lightsaber Yoda was awful, just hilariously bad. I liked the old master in the OT better, where he had some measure of dignity.

Isn't Yoda supposed to be the very personification of "mind over matter"?

It was okay in Sith because we'd already seen it once, but I remember everyone in the full theater laughing hysterically when Yoda pulled out that lightsaber in Clones. I was 9 and even I was dying laughing at how stupid it was. Keep in mind I liked the prequels when I was a third grader and even I only liked the Yoda fight because it was hilarious!

I wish he suited up in a small suit of armor akin to Rambo scene where he tightens his bandana, adjusts leg grenades, etc. My stance is make yoda a commando. Make him militant and stern even if it is completely out of character. He will change when he lands in the swamp or something like that but make him a total asskicker

I remember when I was younger the idea of Yoda and a lightsaber was the coolest thing ever. But it does not fit the character. Those scenes have aged poorly anyway.

It's funny this thread popped up. I was thinking about Episode II when watching the third Hobbit movie recently. The scene with Elrond and Saruman flipping around like ninjas.... it's just too much. Those characters should be above it all.

I loved it, really showed part of why he was held in such high regard by the Jedi.

Why is it that no one understands that their is a 20 year gap between the two trilogy's. It amazes me how many Star Wars fans watched the movies but did little to actually listen and pay attention to the films. There are reason Yoda actions and beliefs are different from the two trilogy's and they are all layed out right in the films.

In first trilogy the Jedi Order where lost. They had become complacent and to concerned with rules and codes. They had lost touch to a degree with the force. Qui-Gon was one if not the only Jedi that listen to the will of the force over that of the code. It's reason why he was always at odds with the council.

Obi-Won tells Luke in episode 4 that the force guides a Jedi actions but also obeys there commands. Now ask you're self if the code guides the Jedi actions how can the force guide there actions as well. They can't and it is the single reason why the Jedi where whipped out.

They didn't trust the will of the force like they once did. The Jedi didn't realize this them selves. They created the code to prevent members of their order from falling to the dark side. It was meant to help govern there actions but not to replace the force all together.

This is what Qui-Gon understood that few if any Jedi at that time understood. It was the reason why he was at odds with the council. Think about it Qui-Gon was able to become one with the force and thus talk to Yoda. While he wasn't as powerful as Yoda he understood something Yoda and rest of the order didn't.

When Yoda went in to hiding he also under went training with Qui-Gon. It wasn't physically training it was more spiritual training. He was relearn how to tap in to the force and what the force was and meant. Obi-Won went through the same training as Yoda during his time in hiding.

Even Obi-Won was different in Episode 4 then he was in episode 3. He was calmer and more at peace. He focused on the force and not a code. He trusted the force to guide his actions but also knew it would obey his commands. The reason for this is that both Yoda and Obi-Won had to slightly relearn everything over again. Did it make them bad or evil no just meant they had to take a step back and relearn and understand what they thought they knew about the force.

As for Yoda using his lightsaber he is a Jedi and even under new training he underwent after episode 3 he was still a Jedi. The reason we don't see him fight was partly due to his age and Yoda no longer thought the same way he once did. He was content with just training vs being in battle.

I had no problem with yoda using a lightsaber.

There's no indication between the movies that Yoda had a fundamental change of philosophy. He was training Luke to be a Jedi and using methods and philosophy that would have been consistent with how he trained Jedi before, all centering on the idea that the force is greater than the flesh and is a tool for peace. That should not have changed for the PT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"