Your top 10... most anticipated games of 2013

Electro UK

Can't all be for nothing
Reaction score
The top ten games for the coming year list has always been a favorite of mine. It's fun digging through the (seemingly) overwhelming pile of titles on the horizon, as well as revisiting the list later to see what was great, what wasn't, and what didn't come out.

A few guidelines:

- Try to avoid stuff that likely won't hit in 2013. I'm not going to flat out say "no" to such games, but Ground Zeroes won't be making it into my list, for example, because I really, REALLY about it'll hit in 2013. However I'm still cheating this rule a little bit so I will allow it... not that I'm any sort of authority figure on this matter.
- No 'the next game from...' unless we've been given some sort of clue on what said game will be about. I want the next game from Valve too, but we don't know what it is and when it'll be out.
- Don't make up sequels. Again, it would be lovely if season 2 of The Walking Dead hit next year or even the next Souls game, but they make for boring choices when they're not realities.

So without further ado, here's my list...

10. Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs - Silly me forgot about this one. The Dark Descent was a brilliant experience that tried new and innovative things in a genre that's had a pretty boring generation. With a sequel looming and the buzz around Slender, the future of horror seems to be out of AAA developer's hands into those of smaller teams.

9. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - The PS3 isn't without its great JRPGs, but in terms of sheer quantity, it pales in comparison to its predecessor. Here's hoping, then, that NNK can make a dent on both the genre and the platform when it releases next month, as it's one of my favorite types of game.

8. Soul Sacrifice - So, no, it's not a Vita-exclusive Souls title (which needs to happen soon), but it is a dark fantasy action game from the mind of Inafune. That... sounds about the next best thing. Sacrifice's obscurity keeps it from climbing to the top of this list but I really want it to make a big splash on Vita. Something needs to.

7. Castlevania: Lords of Shadows: Mirror of Fate - I've only recently been indoctrinated by the majestic brilliance of the 2D Castlevania games, and its a combination of that and my utter adoration for Lords of Shadow that has me excited for this one. The continuation of one of this generation's best stories, the return of Robert Carlyle and the opportunity to explore more of this reboot's lore is making me giddy.

6. Yakuza 5 - My first 'cheat' as Y5 isn't confirmed for the West yet and probably should have been by now, but this series has only gotten stronger as this generation has progressed, transforming into the best annual franchise available on consoles. It was nice fighting the undead hordes in Dead Souls this year, but I can't wait for 5 to take us back to a traditional story with next characters, environments, games and, of course, the potential for another Akiyama/Kiryu team-up. Please, PLEASE bring this over, Sega.

5. Destiny - The second 'cheat', but the incredible artwork and intriguing premise supporting the leak of Bungie's Destiny has sold me completely. Halo is my shooter lifeline, and one of my favorite franchises in gaming. It's now time for Bungie to prove it isn't a one-trick pony.

4. The Last Of Us - Okay, so now we know it's here in less than five months. That games me... pretty excited. Anyways, do I need to say anything about this? It looks incredible. ND are my favorite developer - they have been for over a decade. If anyone can pull this off it's them.

3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengence - The brilliance of MGR's press campaign is that it's sliced and diced pretty much all of the haters that popped up this time last year based on the fact that it's just so bloody good that critics can't find a bad word to say about it. I've been staying away from too many details, but it's good to see that the franchise is actually gaining hype from this unusual spin-off.

2. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 - If Mirror of Fate made the list then the true sequel to my 2010 GOTY is definitely going to rank well. Lords of Shadow was an incredible game that boasted one of the most finely-crafted worlds on PS3 or 360. It has probably my favorite moment from any game this gen, as well as the best ending, some incredible boss fights and genuinely breath-taking visuals (seriously, where is my breath?). It might not be 100% confirmed for 2013... but if it is... then Gabe's return COULD be the event of the year for me...

1. Dark Souls II - I had to change the last sentence of my LoS2 entry from certainty to possibility, because if there's one game out there right now to bring down Gabe's return (other than a clear reveal of MGS5), it's a direct sequel to the utterly incredible Dark Souls. I might have some reservations about the talk surrounding its reveal, but if Souls II can replicate even half the atmosphere and tension of the original then it'll be a winner. The Souls series has been a beacon of light for disc-based releases in this last half of the console cycle. Now let's punctuate the life of these great systems with the very best game on them.

Last edited:
10. Routine
  • First-person horror game set in an abandoned moon base.
9. The Last of Us
  • I've never really understood the hype for Naughy Dog, and I've been critical of some of their past efforts, but this new one looks pretty good. It appears like it will allow the player more freedom than Uncharted and with deeper mechanics all around. That, combined with Naughty Dog's trademark polish will hopefully result in something remarkable. I'm looking forward to it quite a bit and I hope I like it as much as I think I will.
8. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
  • It's basically Hayao Miyazaki: The Game. Not to sound condescending, but if you don't know what that means, this game probably isn't for you. For those of us who do understand: GET HYPE.
7. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
  • Amnesia: Dark Descent is one of the best and most frighting horror games I've ever played. As a fan of good horror, those have become much too few and far between this generation. Hopefully the sequel lives up to its predecessor.
6. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
  • The first Luigi's Mansion was such an unexpected delight, especially as someone who inexplicably loves Luigi. I never thought there would be a sequel, but I'm so glad it's getting one.
5. Rayman Legends
  • I never played a Rayman game before Rayman Origins, but it is one of my absolute favorite games this generation and quickly became one of my all-time favorite platformers. Hopefully Legends can fill its sizable shoes.
4. Dark Souls II
  • That the developers are bandying about words and phrases like "wider audience" and "accessibility" ought to be cause for concern, and perhaps it is, but From has earned so much of my trust with the previous two Souls games that I'm going to turn a blind eye to that stuff for now. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are two of the most fresh, innovative, and downright best games to come out of this console generation and, despite what they say, I seriously doubt they're willing to sacrifice the things that brought them so much respect and attention just for a few more sales. Hopefully they prove me right.
3. Destiny
  • We have barely any information about Bungie's next project, but those scant, vague, yet tantalizing details are enough to make me think Destiny could be something truly special.
2. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain/Metal Gear Solid V
  • I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER ABOUT THAT.

Finally, my number one game (which is probably pretty obvious)... *drumroll* ...
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

tumblr_m4ylm64f9t1rr7dyto1_500.gif

This isn't a popular opinion, but Raiden is my favorite Metal Gear character. Naturally, I was pretty intrigued when he it was revealed that he was getting a second chance at being a main character in his own game. This also isn't a popular opinion, but I went from intrigued to incredibly excited when Rising was re-revealed at the VGAs last year with that trailer oozing so much attitude and swagger. Of course many Metal Gear fans were complaining and nay-saying as loudly as they could, but I wasn't hearing any of it.

The new and improved Rising looked and continues to look incredible. It's extremely impressive what Platinum has done with this game. They picked up the pieces of KojiPro's broken game that was little more than a tech demo, and not only did what they couldn't by turning it into a full-fledged game, but by all accounts made a pretty damn good one at that. If you look at the "thumbs up" rating on every trailer on YouTube since the re-reveal, they've been steadily climbing with each new trailer. Even the haters have been won over and can no longer deny that this game looks awesome.

Last edited:
in no order:

1. Bioshock Infinite
2. Tomb Raider
3. Injustice
4. Dragon Age 3 (may not come in 2013, though)
5. God of War Ascension

and........that's all I have so far.......lol

Last edited:
Deadpool (PS3)
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3)
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
The Last of Us (PS3)
God of War: Ascension (PS3)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)

That's what I'm looking forward to so far.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengance
Metal Gear Ground Zeroes
Tomb Raider

that is all.

1. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance 2. God of War: Ascension 3. Last of Us 4. Metal Gear Ground Zeroes That's all I got. :( Those are in no particular order. I numbered them as they came to mind.

10-Aliens:Colonial Marines
9-Star Trek
9-Injustice:Gods Among Us
8-Deadpool
7-Star Wars 1313
6-Metal Gear Rising:Revengeance
5-Splinter Cell:Blacklist
4-The Last of Us
3-Gears of War:Judgement
2-Watchdogs
1-Grand Theft Auto V

1. The Last Of Us
2. GTA V
3. Castlevania: Lords of shadow 2
4. DMC: Devil May Cry
5. God Of War: Ascension
6. Metal Gear Rising
7. Tomb Raider
8. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
9. Luigis Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
10. Deadpool

1. Metal Gear Rising: Revengence
2. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
3. Bioshock Infinte
4.Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
5.Beyond: Two Souls
6.Destiny
7.DmC: Devil May Cry
8. GTA V
9.Castlevania LoS: Mirror of Fate
10.God of War: Ascension

Also im pretty sure that Watchdogs will be released next year, that should make everyones list. :yay:

I'm sure there will be others, but at this stage the only game I can think of that I'm excited about for next year is GTA V.

Injustice: Gods Among Us
Last of Us
GTA 5
Deadpool
Bioshock Infinite
Metal Gear: Ground Zero
Star Wars 1313

Deadpool - It's Pool. He's awesome. So is High Moon for the most part

Dead Space 3 - The only good horror series available

Grand Theft Auto V - Rockstar, nuff said

Metal Gear Rising - Have u seen the trailers?

DmC - The demo was a lot of fun, seems as tho classic Dante is intact

Splinter Cell: Blacklist - First game without Ironside, looking forward to seeing how it turns out

GTA V
Bioshock Infinite
Watchdogs
Elder Scrolls Online (if...)
Marvel MMO (if...)
Destiny (if...)

Deadpool - Hope this turns out decent, and that Daniel Way's terrible humor is toned down.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - A sequel nearly eight years in the making. Sanzaru has proven through the little gameplay footage and screenshots we've seen that they're the correct choice to handle the franchise.

Injstice: Gods Among Us - Though I'm not a fan of the ugly art design and the storyline they want to use, the gameplay looks very fun, and I am curious as to who else will show up.

Bioshock: Infinite - The TRUE sequel to the first game. Look great, has an interesting premise, and seems to be a similar venture without rehashing what made the first one awesome.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs - Had a lot of fun playing the first one. Hope this one is a worthy successor.

Young Justice: Legacy - I'll admit I'm more excited about what this game will bring to the TV show world than the game itself. Probably the only one on the list I'll only rent.

I guess.....that's it? Not a lot to be excited for me so far. Maybe that will change as we get deeper into the year.

The only games I'm really looking forward to, off the top of my head are:

Tomb Raider
Grand Theft Auto V
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
The Last of Us
Watch Dogs (if it is released)

Grand Theft Auto V
BioShock Infinite
The Last of Us
Injustice
Deadpool
Star Wars 1313
Gears of War: Judgement
Dead Space 3
Tomb Raider
Rainbow Six: Patriots

GTA V
WatchDogs
DmC Devil May Cry
Deadpool

8. Lords of Shadows 2 - I didn't even play the first game, but the trailer for this one was interesting enough to get my attention.

7. Star Wars 1313 - It's SW with a gameplay that reminds me of Uncharted, so I'll probably have fun with that.

6. Beyond - Everything looks so interesting and, even though I didn't play Heavy Rain, I trust the developer's work.

5. The Last of Us - I trust Naughty Dog more than any other developer, so I'm already sold on this one. It's like a mixture of The Walking Dead with I Am Legend. I loved both, ND can tell compelling stories, so I believe this will become my game of the year.

4. Metal Gear Rising - This will be my first Metal Gear game. The action looks really interesting and, if it has a good story, which I believe if will, then it'll be an even better experience.

3. Tomb Raider - I never cared for this series, even though I own a Tomb Raider 3 that doesn't work anymore and didn't give me much fun...but this one looks so good. Real character with a lot of development. That's what I like in good stories.

2. Deadpool - He's one of my favorite Marvel characters and the trailer looked almighty fun. High Moon is taking care of it and I know they're really paying attention to it. It's not a tie-in, which makes me even more hopeful for it's quality and Nolan North is doing the voice. It couldn't be better, imo. I wanted a movie, but a game being done like this is even better.

1. DmC - The trailers, previews and demo won me over this game. Like the next fan, I also wish they didn't change Dante's appearance, but I won't pass and poorly judge the game because of that, which seems to be what the haters are doing. It's my most anticipated game because it's my favorite universe among the games that I'll be getting.

I'd like to throw Watch Dogs up there, but I don't think it'll come out in 2013. I was also anticipating South Park, but it's been postponed to 2014, so those were my number 9 and 10.

I'm only really anticipating 3 games. 1st: GTA V, 2nd: Watchdogs, 3rd: Injustice

I'm going to wait until after the VGAs, some juicy stuff might get revealed there that could be coming out next year.

God, Daniel Way is going to ruin Deadpool...

I mean more than he already has.

I didn't realize Daniel Way was so unpopular on Deadpool. Granted I haven't read comics since the end of 2011, but everything I'd read of Way on Deadpool up until then had been pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"