Zach Snyder to Direct Watchmen

IKnowSomeJudo said:
^it's a great fan effort, even though the "new yawka" voice is terrible and nothing what Rorschach should sound like.
Watch this clip of Jeffrey Combs as The Question on JLU - now THAT's Rorschach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3K-Tenpq8g

I have always wanted Jeffrey Combs as Rorschach even though he doesn't look anything like Rorschach without the mask he still looks creepy and no one will match his voice up with his face (at least most people) so when you see him as the protestor no body will assume him.

Just finished reading Watchmen, and I've come to a few conclusions.

1. Only book that actually lives up to the hype of "Greatest Comic Book Ever".
2. Unless they do this movie as a hard "R" rating, there is no way they will ever be able to do any justice to the book. I honestly now understand why Paramount might have dumped it. Its not a commercially appealing book about superheros. I honestly don't know how they can transfer this to a commercial film.

Ive read early drafts of Hayter and Tse's scripts, they're not bad and they stick to the story a fair bit. They could probably get away with an MA15+ rating, although you're right, it wouldn't be commercially appealling

Lighthouse said:
Just finished reading Watchmen, and I've come to a few conclusions.

1. Only book that actually lives up to the hype of "Greatest Comic Book Ever".
2. Unless they do this movie as a hard "R" rating, there is no way they will ever be able to do any justice to the book. I honestly now understand why Paramount might have dumped it. Its not a commercially appealing book about superheros. I honestly don't know how they can transfer this to a commercial film.

1. You've been reading the wrong comics
2. It's not a "superhero film" if you're thinking about the genre only in terms of making another Spider-Man or even Batman Begins; it's a sociopolitical thiller that examines global politics and the politics of war through the lens of superheros. V for Vendetta, though it simplified things far too much and didn't stray far enough from the generic template that has been set up for how to make a "comic book" movie, still proved that such a film can be comercially viable. Furthermore, both V for Vendetta and Sin City were both R rated films, and they were both sucessful. 300 is going to be R as well. I'm really hoping that Watchmen shows other superhero films what they should strive to be.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=38891
Snyder: Watchmen Remains True

Zack Snyder, who will direct an upcoming film version of Alan Moore's seminal graphic novel Watchmen, told SCI FI Wire that Warner Brothers likes his take on the material, which goes back to the source for its inspiration, closely following the original 1985 setting and alternate-history American mileu in which Richard Nixon is still president. That faithfulness to the graphic novel, which has been famously considered unadaptable to film, ironically, provided the key to unlocking the script, Snyder said.

"That was the thing," Snyder said in an interview following a Nov. 8 screening of footage from his other upcoming graphic-novel adaptation, 300, in Hollywood, Calif. "What they tried to do is turn it into a movie. And that's not really how we approached it. ... [Co-writer Alex [Tse] and I were [like], 'What ... [about the] graphic novel do we love? Let's do that!' And I think that when we delivered that version of the script to them, and it was long of course, ... it's not [a metaphor for the] war on terror, it's not like trying to be, like, bulls--t updated. You know, which gets confusing. And then Adrian [Veidt]'s story gets all, like, lost with that. So ... that was the thing that cracked it: Just going back to the source. Saying, 'OK, why does this work here?' It seemed really obvious. It was weird. ... It's pretty exciting. They're pretty excited."

The studio offered a few notes, but Snyder said that the draft was accepted pretty much as is. "We've shown ... Alex and my official draft to the studio," he said. "And I feel like they're really excited now. They feel like it's a movie, and they get it now, and they're into 1985, and they're into the Cold War and Nixon and all the cool bits. So we're really excited. We're doing another little bit of changes, and then, I mean, knock on wood, we'll get going."

One element that Snyder introduces is a title montage sequence that will walk the audience through recent decades of the alternate-history United States, starting with the Kennedy assassination and Vietnam War and taking viewers to the current day, which is 1985.

Snyder added that he was in a private airport during his travels recently and came across the real Henry Kissinger, who was traveling with his own entourage. Snyder said that he attempted to approach Kissinger to ask him to play himself in the film, but was blocked by Kissinger's wife from speaking with the former secretary of state.

Written from 1986 to '87, Watchmen is set in 1985 in an alternate-history United States in which superheroes, called "costumed adventurers," exist, the Cold War is threatening to turn into a nuclear conflagration, Nixon is president, and the heroes have been outlawed. When one of their number is mysteriously murdered, the others spring into action. The Hugo-Award-winning graphic novel, by Moore and illustrator Dave Gibbons, is considered a landmark in comics and a heavy influence on films, books and comics since.

If this is true, Snyder is my new favorite person on the face of the Earth.

I don't know. I am not for faithfulness at any cost. Watchmen was written that wasy because those were socially relevant issues in 1986, we can update it for socially relevant issues of 2006.
And I like the beginning of the book too much instead. I would leave the recap of the alternate universe to TV images, or the flashbacks of the characters. If you do the montage before titles, you lose for example the impact of the introduction of a 20-foot Doc Manhattan in the lab.

Another article
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=8847
Following a private screening and Q&A of "300" in Los Angeles Wednesday evening (we'll have a full report on that shortly), Director Zack Snyder spoke briefly about progress on the "Watchmen" feature film, which we should note is still a long way from production and/or a scheduled release date.

Apparently, a script has been handed into the studio to look over and it also includes a script written for "The Black Freighter" portions of "Watchmen." As readers of the graphic novel know, "The Black Freighter" is the comic-within-a -comic which provides a powerful narrative device for the main story. Snyder went on to say that at this early stage he had no idea whether or not "The Black Freighter" story would make it into the final script or film. Of course, "The Black Freighter" story could easily be excised from the final film as it's not critical to the overall story, but it certainly would make purists very happy.

When the conversation turned to how "Watchmen" might be shot - would they primarily use green screens like were used in "300" and "Sin City?" - Snyder said it would be a combination of sets and green screens, saying the Mars, Antarctica and possible "Black Freighter" sequences would likely require green screens, but the rest would be filmed on sets.

Finally, when asked would he be speaking with Alan Moore prior to the launch of filming, he said he would like to and really hoped he got that chance. During the production of "V For Vendetta," Moore swore off any involvement with film or television productions of his work.

I disagree, I think they are still socialy relavent. The Crucible did not need to be set in the 1950's to inform the times on the dangers of Mcarthyism. Good Night and Good Luck was almost all transcripts from Murrow's debate with Mcarthy, but that did not stop it from being relavent to our current sociopolitical climate. Much of the story of Watchmen needs to be set in the 1980's. Nixon being president is incredibly important, because we know what Nixon's philosophy on the presidency was (that he was an elected monarch). That is still relevant to our world where for the past few years there we have been pounded over the head with "to be an American is to stand behind the president whether you agree with him or not". Dr. Mannhattan's relevance as the atom bomb as god is not as great in today's world (V for Vendetta had to change nuclear apocalypse to chemical warfare for this same reason). Viedt is the hero of the eighties: the CEO. Today, he would be a public villian right off the bat. In my opinion, Watchmen is much more of a sociopolitical work than anything else, and I don't think you can update it without changing the story entirely.

I'm not big on the idea of The Black Freighter, if they think they can pull it off, more power to them. However, I don't see it being as important in a film as it was in a comic; it loses the self referance which is what made it work for me in the book.

Sandman138 said:
I'm not big on the idea of The Black Freighter, if they think they can pull it off, more power to them. However, I don't see it being as important in a film as it was in a comic; it loses the self referance which is what made it work for me in the book.
i agree. it's likely something that should be cut. especially if snyder's intentions to use it are merely to satisfy purists, then thats the wrong reason to use it.

at most, maybe shoot it then come out with an extended edition DVD later.

the Black Freighter would not work visually, but i think it could be pulled off if they use very relevent narration (rather than cryptic ambiguous narration) from the book as a voice over for what is going on in the movie. It would be easy to introduce the book by the black kid and the old newspaper salesman who should be given some focus or else there is no emotional stock in
the explosion and following creature in New York from Adrian

I like Snyder more and more with every new interview. Not sure on my feelings about the Black Freighter though.

This one was from CHUD

CHUD said:
It seems that Snyder and his screenwriter Alex Tse have cracked the graphic novel in their own way. He told SciFi Wire what he thought the problem with the other attempts on the movie was: “What they tried to do is turn it into a movie. And that's not really how we approached it. ... [Co-writer Alex [Tse] and I were [like], 'What ... [about the] graphic novel do we love? Let's do that!' And I think that when we delivered that version of the script to [Warner Bros], and it was long of course, ... it's not [a metaphor for the] war on terror, it's not like trying to be, like, bulls--t updated. You know, which gets confusing. And then Adrian [Veidt]'s story gets all, like, lost with that. So ... that was the thing that cracked it: Just going back to the source. Saying, 'OK, why does this work here?' It seemed really obvious. It was weird. ... It's pretty exciting. They're pretty excited."

Snyder insists that the studio is excited about setting the movie in 1985, when the comic originally came out, and having Richard Nixon still be president. Watchmen takes place in an alternate universe that answers the question of what would have happened if a real superhuman being had existed – in this case the all-powerful Dr. Manhattan. Snyder’s vision is to have the movie open with a tour of the Watchmen universe’s alternate history, from the Kennedy assassination and Vietnam all the way through to 85.

Killgore said:
This one was from CHUD

Hes really hitting all my fanboy pleasure buttons. Thank god its set in 1985

Director Zack Snyder has made a feature-film name for himself with genre projects, debuting on the big screen with 2004's Dawn of the Dead remake and currently putting the finishing touches on his sophomore effort, an adaptation of Frank Miller's graphic novel 300. In New York this week to discuss that film, Snyder also sat down with IGN to talk about his next movie — another comic book adaptation — this time of DC Comics' Watchmen. He says that he expects that film to get underway very soon.

"It's the only thing I'm really working on right now, so if I don't do that I've got to find something else!" he laughs, adding that once he completes 300 he will go directly into full gear on Watchmen. "There's no break, hopefully none, between 300 and Watchmen. They'll just roll us right over. We'll probably start Watchmen and then come back and do publicity for 300. Right now we're still finishing 300, so I'd say I've got another three weeks of shots waiting to come in. And then in the meantime I'm trying to maybe make a commercial, maybe make some money, which is cool!"

The original comic book, written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Dave Gibbons, told an epic superhero story that many in the industry have long thought to be un-filmable (the movie project has undergone several permutations in its years in development). Snyder believes that the key to the movie is to stay true to Moore's original vision, even if by necessity certain aspects of the story must be cut due to running time constraints. His Watchmen will not be stretched over a series of films with sequels and the like, despite the trend of other comic-to-film adaptations like Spider-Man and X-Men.

"It's a labor of love, and I've wanted to try to get back to the source material as much as I could without it being, of course, a six-hour long movie. And I would say the fans are probably going, 'What do you mean? You say that like it's a bad thing!'" he smiles. "I will tell you that the draft of the script is long. It's so long in fact that when we turned it in, we turned 'The Black Freighter' stuff in as a separate script so as not to scare them too much. We were like, 'Here's your script. Oh, here's your other script!' They were like, 'Oh, great!'"

"The Black Freighter" elements of Watchmen are one aspect that could be cut from the film if need be, though Snyder is already investigating avenues of release for an extended cut of the film.

"I want 'The Black Freighter' stuff in it," he says. "It will all depend on how [the studio] likes it. I feel like they don't really question it, like, 'Why, what is this?' But we've designed the movie so that it works without it. We have the places designed where that story would go and then if they want it, [they have it] for like extended theatrical or limited theatrical, or definitely for DVD. That's the one cool thing we have is DVD, and in my opinion it's not exploited nearly enough. [We could use that] to create the three-hour version of Watchmen. And [as a director] I'm totally fine with that, but I feel like that's a battle I haven't lost yet, so I'm not going to concede to it yet."

Like 300 and Sin City before it, Watchmen will likely utilize green screen backgrounds at times, with the final scenes being rendered in CGI. But unlike those earlier films, it will also feature standard scenes with real backgrounds and sets.

"We're doing some conceptual discussions about production methodology, things of that nature, things like, 'Will it be a green screen movie or will it be a real movie?' And I think that we have kind of found the reality of the movie," the director explains. "There are moments that are green screen, moments that are real. Basically I think with Watchmen it'll take every trick, every tool to get this world, this Watchmen world. I feel like probably the green screen stuff is going to be [the] Mars and Antarctica [scenes], and — of course — Vietnam. All that stuff is in the movie right now, absolutely."

Snyder and his production team are also discussing what technology they should use when depicting Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger, who in the world of Watchmen are still running the country in the mid-'80s, when the comic takes place.

"The whole trick to me is how do you do Nixon and Kissinger," he says. "It's like that fine line. I do like the idea of using some newsreel footage, but I also like the idea of making history into cinema, and trying to get someone and make him look as much like Nixon as I can, get someone and make him look as much like Kissinger as I can, so you sort of feel this cinematic version of reality, if that makes sense. One of the early battles I had [with the studio] was getting it set in 1985, getting them to stay with the Cold War, getting them to feel like Nixon is an asset to the movie, to feel like those elements match, and I'm a huge advocate of that approach. I think I have [won that battle] right now. They told me when we first talked about it, 'It's going to be the war on terror, it's going to be 2007, blah, blah, blah.' And I agreed, and I went off to do it, and of course I came back and it was 1985. I didn't try to be subversive, but that's what wound up being right."

So while Snyder and his writer Alex Tse have made strides on the project, they continue to tinker with the script and dance the dance with the studio until production starts.

"You know how it works," laughs Snyder. "The studio says, 'Make us a movie,' we give them a script, and they go, 'Hmmm, really?' And we have to go, 'Really!' So that's the part that we're at right now. And I think, honestly, I'm really happy with the version of the script we have right now. Alex has killed it and done an amazing job writing this script."

http://movies.ign.com/articles/745/745863p1.html

His passion for the movie really gets me excited. I have the highest hopes possible for the movie at this point.

the way he talks about it, it almost sounds like they can pull it off! im all for a 3 hr watchmen movie!

If this movie is not brilliant, it won't be good enough. But I'm getting confidence.

He actually wants to do "Tales Of The Black Freighter"? He's nuts and I love him for that.

Next thing you know he'll be shooting the appendices. :woot:

Motown Marvel said:
the way he talks about it, it almost sounds like they can pull it off! im all for a 3 hr watchmen movie!

Will the studio be into a 3 hour watchmen movie? I know I will be! But I have zero faith in Hollywood these days. We can only hope.

http://superherohype.com/news.php?id=4942

Hughes Designing Watchmen Costumes?
Source: LordMagnus
November 27, 2006

'LordMagnus' tells us that artist Adam Hughes (official site) is designing costumes for the Watchmen movie, to be directed by Zack Snyder (300):

Hi, I have a friend who goes to the Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah, GA, and one of her classes had a guest instructor for a day. It was Adam Hughes. He told the class that he was doing the costume designs for the Watchmen movie. Just thought that was an interesting bit of news.

Watchmen is an adaptation of the 12-issue comic book created by writer Alan Moore and artist Dave Gibbons.

I don't know about you guys, but if this is indeed true, it's friggin' awesome. I love Hughes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"