• Secure your account

    A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

  • Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zodiac

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Joined
Sep 1, 2000
Messages
16,277
Reaction score
1
Points
31
Warner Bros. Pictures and Paramount Pictures are in advanced talks to co-finance Zodiac, a thriller detailing the obsessive efforts of three people who sought to bring the famed Zodiac killer to justice and the toll it took on their personal lives. The serial killer terrorized the San Francisco area from 1966-78 by killed at least 37 people.

Variety reports that David Fincher is in negotiations to helm the film. Warner Bros, Paramount, and Fincher recently coalesced around The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, but that movie evaporated after the studios declined to spend more than $150 million on the special effects-heavy tale.

Zodiac is adapted by screenwriter Jamie Vanderbilt (Basic) from Robert Graysmith's 1986 true-crime tome "Zodiac" and its 2002 sequel, "Zodiac Unmasked: The Identity of America's Most Elusive Serial Killer Revealed." Graysmith's first book has sold more than 4 million copies.

Paramount will handle domestic distribution while Warner will handle international.
 
great to see fincher back and this sounds like perfect material for him
 
hunter rider said:
great to see fincher back and this sounds like perfect material for him


Yes it is and yes it does.
The Zodiac killer has always freaked me out, growing up in the bay area and being old enough to remember hearing stories, it gave me nightmares when I was young. They never caught the guy and he toyed with the police, taunting them. Fincher is perfect for this movie. Graysmiths books are great I highly recommend them if people are interested.
 
green said:
Yes it is and yes it does.
The Zodiac killer has always freaked me out, growing up in the bay area and being old enough to remember hearing stories, it gave me nightmares when I was young. They never caught the guy and he toyed with the police, taunting them. Fincher is perfect for this movie. Graysmiths books are great I highly recommend them if people are interested.

might check one out,didn't they do a zodiac story in nash bridges which was set in san fran ?
 
hunter rider said:
might check one out,didn't they do a zodiac story in nash bridges which was set in san fran ?


Nash who? Oh you mean that Don Johnson tv show..never watched it, dont know. Definately check out the books though, creppy stuff, theres photo copies of the letters he sent the police and everything....the guy was good, well in a horrible serial killer way, not that that's a good thing.
 
Source: Variety
April 19, 2005





zodiac.jpg


Robert Downey Jr., Jake Gyllenhaal and Mark Ruffalo will topline serial-killer thriller Zodiac, the Paramount and Warner Bros. co-production to be directed by David Fincher.

Variety says production is slated to start in mid-August, with Phoenix Pictures producing. Screenwriter Jamie Vanderbilt is adapting from Robert Graysmith's 1986 true-crime book "Zodiac" and 2002 sequel "Zodiac Unmasked: The Identity of America's Most Elusive Serial Killer Revealed."

Gyllenhaal will portray Graysmith, a San Francisco Chronicle cartoonist who began tracking the mystery of the serial killer. The Zodiac terrorized the San Francisco area from 1966-78, committing at least 37 murders and documenting his exploits in taunting letters sent to the Chronicle.

Graysmith believes he identified the killer, but competing investigations and other circumstances prevented the suspect, who died in 1992, from ever being apprehended.

Ruffalo will portray the lead investigator in the case, Downey a reporter.
 
hunter rider said:
Source: Variety
April 19, 2005





zodiac.jpg


Robert Downey Jr., Jake Gyllenhaal and Mark Ruffalo will topline serial-killer thriller Zodiac, the Paramount and Warner Bros. co-production to be directed by David Fincher.

Variety says production is slated to start in mid-August, with Phoenix Pictures producing. Screenwriter Jamie Vanderbilt is adapting from Robert Graysmith's 1986 true-crime book "Zodiac" and 2002 sequel "Zodiac Unmasked: The Identity of America's Most Elusive Serial Killer Revealed."

Gyllenhaal will portray Graysmith, a San Francisco Chronicle cartoonist who began tracking the mystery of the serial killer. The Zodiac terrorized the San Francisco area from 1966-78, committing at least 37 murders and documenting his exploits in taunting letters sent to the Chronicle.

Graysmith believes he identified the killer, but competing investigations and other circumstances prevented the suspect, who died in 1992, from ever being apprehended.

Ruffalo will portray the lead investigator in the case, Downey a reporter.
Great to see Fincher back, one of my faves, and the cast sounds great!
 
hunter rider said:
Source: Variety
April 19, 2005





zodiac.jpg


Robert Downey Jr., Jake Gyllenhaal and Mark Ruffalo will topline serial-killer thriller Zodiac, the Paramount and Warner Bros. co-production to be directed by David Fincher.

Variety says production is slated to start in mid-August, with Phoenix Pictures producing. Screenwriter Jamie Vanderbilt is adapting from Robert Graysmith's 1986 true-crime book "Zodiac" and 2002 sequel "Zodiac Unmasked: The Identity of America's Most Elusive Serial Killer Revealed."

Gyllenhaal will portray Graysmith, a San Francisco Chronicle cartoonist who began tracking the mystery of the serial killer. The Zodiac terrorized the San Francisco area from 1966-78, committing at least 37 murders and documenting his exploits in taunting letters sent to the Chronicle.

Graysmith believes he identified the killer, but competing investigations and other circumstances prevented the suspect, who died in 1992, from ever being apprehended.

Ruffalo will portray the lead investigator in the case, Downey a reporter.


Nice casting.....thanks for the update Hunter. :D
 
green said:
Nice casting.....thanks for the update Hunter. :D

:up: great to see Fincher back and he should really nail this material,I wonder if he'll set it in the actual period or if he'll move it up to date.I guess if he follows it correctly then he will leave it in the correct decade but ya never know with these things:eek:
 
I can't wait to see it if Fincher is directing.
 
hunter rider said:
:up: great to see Fincher back and he should really nail this material,I wonder if he'll set it in the actual period or if he'll move it up to date.I guess if he follows it correctly then he will leave it in the correct decade but ya never know with these things:eek:

I'd hope he keeps it in the original time frame....updating wont make sense with the tecnology they have now compared to then, now they'd probably be able to catch the sick freak pretty quickly. I hope he plans on shooting it here in San Francisco though.....I'll be lurking with my digital camera ;)
 
green said:
I'd hope he keeps it in the original time frame....updating wont make sense with the tecnology they have now compared to then, now they'd probably be able to catch the sick freak pretty quickly. I hope he plans on shooting it here in San Francisco though.....I'll be lurking with my digital camera ;)

now that would be cool "green our inside man":eek: :D :up:
 
They are filming RENT here now and I've been trying to find Rosario Dawson :hyper: , but havent had much luck :(
 
hunter rider said:
Source: Variety
April 19, 2005





zodiac.jpg


Robert Downey Jr., Jake Gyllenhaal and Mark Ruffalo will topline serial-killer thriller Zodiac, the Paramount and Warner Bros. co-production to be directed by David Fincher.

Variety says production is slated to start in mid-August, with Phoenix Pictures producing. Screenwriter Jamie Vanderbilt is adapting from Robert Graysmith's 1986 true-crime book "Zodiac" and 2002 sequel "Zodiac Unmasked: The Identity of America's Most Elusive Serial Killer Revealed."

Gyllenhaal will portray Graysmith, a San Francisco Chronicle cartoonist who began tracking the mystery of the serial killer. The Zodiac terrorized the San Francisco area from 1966-78, committing at least 37 murders and documenting his exploits in taunting letters sent to the Chronicle.

Graysmith believes he identified the killer, but competing investigations and other circumstances prevented the suspect, who died in 1992, from ever being apprehended.

Ruffalo will portray the lead investigator in the case, Downey a reporter.

I read that book. Pretty creepy stuff.

Refresh my memory-- the Zodiac killer used a gun and killed couples as opposed to only killing women with non-projectile weapons, right?
If that's correct, then he-- like David "Son of Sam" Berkowitz-- are both somewhat rare, since most famous serial killers didn't use guns and didn't mess with the men-folk.
I also forget if Zodiac was alleged to have raped any women, but I don't recall reading that he did. That also makes him unique in the serial murderer community.

:wolverine
 
Herr Logan said:
I read that book. Pretty creepy stuff.

Refresh my memory-- the Zodiac killer used a gun and killed couples as opposed to only killing women with non-projectile weapons, right?
If that's correct, then he-- like David "Son of Sam" Berkowitz-- are both somewhat rare, since most famous serial killers didn't use guns and didn't mess with the men-folk.
I also forget if Zodiac was alleged to have raped any women, but I don't recall reading that he did. That also makes him unique in the serial murderer community.

:wolverine

Hey Herr not used to seeing you in these parts:up: sorry i don't have the answer to your questions,i know that carmin posted some of the killers letters in a link in this thread that might be of help,im thinking of picking this book up.
 
hunter rider said:
Hey Herr not used to seeing you in these parts:up: sorry i don't have the answer to your questions,i know that carmin posted some of the killers letters in a link in this thread that might be of help,im thinking of picking this book up.

Eh, I'm desperately trying to avoid thinking about how crappy life is at the moment, so when perusing the "new posts" page, I'll click on anything that looks interesting, and serial killers are an interest of mine.

The creepiest thing about the book, for me, is that the police had several suspects and they did encounter them, but although they fit the profile, there was no solid proof and no one was even tried, much less convicted. If you really get into it, it's almost like you're there, matching evidence and profiles against the person who you're close enough to actually speak to in his place of business and whose home you've investigated. The idea that someone this driven, starved for attention and skilled in violent acts could be anyone that possesses certain characteristics and yet even the most likely suspects don't get charged and convicted is pretty frightening when you think about it.

:wolverine
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
200,686
Messages
21,786,631
Members
45,616
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"