‘Resident Evil’ | Netflix Series

Uhhh. Well, I was looking forward to this until I read that synopsis. Thought I'd heard that this would be following the games a bit more closely but guess that was wrong. I'll probably still give it a chance when it comes out but I'm not optimistic.

After the remakes I thought for sure, they would finally faithfully adapt the series game by game. Well they could mine Zero, 1, 2, 3 and CV for at least three seasons. But we are getting daughters of Wesker... not even Jake who appeared in Re6.

Just watch Dagon. That movie is basically the inspiration for Resident Evil 4 in a lot of ways.

As for this TV series...needs a trailer. Neither the people involved nor that synopsis fills me with confidence either. If the focus is the YA past not the future that doesn't sound like that much fun to me.

It sounds like the CW series Supernatural with the two brothers swapped out for sisters. Probably because the showrunner is Supernatural's showrunner.

CW Supernatural said:
This haunting series follows the thrilling yet terrifying journeys of Sam and Dean Winchester, two brothers who face an increasingly sinister landscape as they hunt monsters. After losing their mother to a supernatural force, the brothers were raised by their father as soldiers who track mysterious and demonic creatures. Violent memories and relationship-threatening secrets add additional burdens on Sam and Dean as they investigate all things that go bump in the night. As old tricks and tools are rendered useless and friends betray them, the brothers must rely on each other as they encounter new enemies.
Netflix Resident Evil said:
The Netflix series will tell its new story across two timelines. In the first, 14-year-old sisters Jade and Billie Wesker are moved to New Raccoon City. A manufactured, corporate town, forced on them right as adolescence is in full swing. But the more time they spend there, the more they come to realize that the town is more than it seems and their father may be concealing dark secrets. Secrets that could destroy the world. The second, more than a decade into the future sees less than 15 million people left on Earth. And more than 6 billion monsters — people and animals infected with the T-virus. Jade, now 30, struggles to survive in this new world, while the secrets from her past — about her sister, her father and herself — continue to haunt her.

I had only read the headline, so for some reason I assumed this would be a reboot but this time with the characters from the game... silly me :whatever:

I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be one of those shows Netflix cancels after one season.

So many established characters and plots that would make for some awesome tv/movies. But for whatever reason RE adaptations deviate so wildly from the source they should be called anything but RE. It’s a damn shame. Guarantee this will be trash like the movies.

Uhhh. Well, I was looking forward to this until I read that synopsis. Thought I'd heard that this would be following the games a bit more closely but guess that was wrong. I'll probably still give it a chance when it comes out but I'm not optimistic.

Not surprising looking at the studio behind this garbage.

It could theoretically be good and just not follow the games at all, but what's the point building a negative reputation online when you don't have to?

If artistic vision is so important then have the guts to greenlight things without an IP attached that barely has anything to do with the work. You won't though because you feel it's safer to completely reimagine an established name into something else rather than have an original title and let it stand on it own. Which is true in many cases.

Lets be real though, your vision needed something to get it in front of our faces, so you used Resident Evil It's easier to sell that way.

Last edited:
It could theoretically be good and just not follow the games at all, but what's the point building a negative reputation online when you don't have to?

If artistic vision is so important then have the guts to greenlight things without an IP attached that barely has anything to do with the work. You won't though because you feel it's safer to completely reimagine an established name into something else rather than have an original title and let it stand on it own. Which is true in many cases.

Lets be real though, your vision needed something to get it in front of our faces, so you used Resident Evil It's easier to sell that way.

If they were trying to sell me on a Resident Evil series, this is not the way to do it. There's literally so much existing canon they could pull from. If they wanted an anthology series, they could do Outbreak. You could do a show all about Wesker and his rise to power, or the Spencer and Ashford families, and make it like a part period part contemporary corporate Game of Thrones, with BOWs instead of White Walkers.

If I was to do a TV series, I would have the set up be the STARS team. Wesker organizing and training the team. The team's first missions and cases, which would be normal cases, with the last half or last episodes of the season being the mansion incident.

I'd even want to see episodes showing the aftermath of the mansion incident, showing the survivors of STARS getting out of Racoon CIty and then declaring war on Umbrella. There's a lot you could do there in an episodic format. If you did a show about say Leon, Claire, Chris, and Jill, an episodic show, you could have them hitting up various cities or outposts facing various BOWs, monsters or threats week to week.

I don't give two ****s about Wesker's daughters who aren't even existing characters in the canon.

I'm not enough of a die hard fan that I would refuse to watch something untrue to the games no matter how good it looked. At the same time, for me, beyond a certain point there's no meaningful difference between partially true to the games (that I care about) and completely untrue to the games. Like the hypothetical example of a Wesker origin story series...I don't care enough about Wesker to want to see his backstory. So to me it might as well be something completely new if it's going to be something like that. I don't care about Outbreak, either, so I guess it depends on which parts of the mythos you're attached to. I'm looking at this from the early-ish core games perspective.

I look at this two daughters thing and think, well, if hypothetically they are telling the events of the games but from a different point-of-view, and if the characters from the games are there but just not in the most central roles, that doesn't sound so bad. But I'm still waiting for the part where this becomes Resident Evil, if it actually exists.

Quote from the article:

"Resident Evil is my favorite game of all time," Dabb said. "I'm incredibly excited to tell a new chapter in this amazing story and bring the first-ever Resident Evil series to Netflix members around the world.”

You’d think a hardcore fan like us would be pushing for more game content so let’s hope he does.

Doesn't necessarily mean he wants to adapt the game story.

It's just using a familiar name it seems because people have to Trojan Horse things they really want to make so it's easier to sell.

Reminds me when Netflix revived ReBoot, this is what they made:

Doesn't necessarily mean he wants to adapt the game story.
Yeah, but you’d hope he’d at least want to put a bunch of elements from the games into the show rather than it just being a random horror show without any obvious links. The films really disappointed me so I was hoping we’d get luckier this time. :csad:

Someone mentioned that show The Society on Netflix getting cancelled and how actors from there might end up on this show, and I thought Kathryn Newton would make a great Claire Redfield. Then it occurred to me that she was on Supernatural, which Dabb wrote for, and even played a character named Claire on that show. So now I'll be disappointed if she doesn't somehow end up as Claire Redfield.

How good is Supernatural?

This is kind of why I generally don't trust writers who adapt games or stories like this. They claim to be fans who love the games and series or pay lip service to it and act like they know better on how to adapt the story.

Case in point, Kenneth Branagh on Artemis Fowl.

Damn. I was hoping for Jill Valentine lead series.

7aafd7fb679b31f3c59c0fe8b85b30f81d6e8809.gifv

How good is Supernatural?

I love it. I can't speak for everyone, but it's worked out well for the CW. At the very least it has a dedicated fanbase to keep running for like forever.

I think the mansion incident would make for a legitimately great horror movie. It has such a great uncanny atmosphere in both the original and remake. Especially the original. I dearly hope that particular game gets a really faithful adaptation someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"