‘Resident Evil’ | Netflix Series

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by James.B, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Wheels Groovy

I need to finish it some day but I loved it for years until a certain character turned heel and became the big bad. Then someone died and I completely dropped off.

Iceman likes this.
  2. Luigi Futurism

Welp, that synopsis sounds awful. And here I was, holding onto a sliver of hope that they've might have been doing a proper adaptation with the STARS crew and the mansion.

3. Teelie Jokerface

They are never going to properly adapt any of the RE games.

psylockolussus, Erik20, Luigi and 2 others like this.
  4. Bruce Wayne Let's get nuts!

I was just rewatching Evil Dead 2 and I had the thought that Sam Raimi would actually be the perfect man to make an adaptation of the original three games. Evil Dead 2 is the best of the series and has a very similar mix of narm-comedy and yet relentless unease.

5. KaijuDude1992 Registered

Yeah the first two Evil Dead films are like the best blue prints you could have when going about making a live action Resident Evil and Sam Raimi would have been an EPIC choice to direct it, especially if it had been during his prime in the early 2000's.

It just baffles me that these studios and Hollywood in general just don't know what the hell to do with this franchise anymore and would rather strip away the most interesting elements of the game series and make the most generic, bland and neutered action movie crap possible.

This franchise has so much more potential than that and its sad not seeing it utilized more IMO.

6. Fincher Coming Undone

Eh, I'm no fan of Raimi's, and while Resident Evil 4 was similar to his work, I also didn't like that about RE4. Resident Evil 2 (my favorite) did have a B-movie quality to it, but not in the same way and not where I'd want them to fully emulate it.

I think James Wan would be a good choice, given (1) his horror background, and (2) him directing Aquaman, which was silly fun but more to my taste.

Luigi and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  7. Luigi Futurism

I'd like to throw Gore Verbinski in there too. A Cure for Wellness is the closest thing that we have to a live action RE4 film.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  8. KaijuDude1992 Registered

That movie is super underrated. I agree though that really any talented director can knock this franchise out of the park if given the chance, but they just haven't put enough effort into it. Instead of wasting so much time with someone as hackish as Paul W.S. Anderson all these years Sony could have really brought in some heavy hitters like Raimi, Wan or Verbinski.

Hell I'm surprised Guillermo Del Toro was never asked to direct considering it seemed like he had a pretty solid working relationship with Sony during the early 2000's. Just imagine the kind of awesome, practical creature effects we could have got after seeing his work on the Hellboy films. Such a missed opportunity IMO.

GREEN =w= DAY and Luigi like this.
  9. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

It just seems crazy to me they have so much lore from the games to choose from, and then go and do the exact thing the movies were heavily criticised for.

Adapt the games for crying out loud it's not like they are hugely complex stories to begin with. This is like the Uncharted movie all over again.

TheVileOne, Luigi and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  10. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I always wanted to see a live action version of that. Playing the first game was such an amazing experience back then.

Luigi, KaijuDude1992, Teelie and 2 others like this.
  11. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Raimi wouldn't make a cookie-cutter RE. If he happened to be into this series (I’m assuming he’s not a gamer?) I think he’d do a great job. It’s the first 3 I really have a pull of wanting to see faithfully translated one day.

Luigi, KaijuDude1992 and Bruce Wayne like this.
  12. Bruce Wayne Let's get nuts!

Same. I understand that RE4, mainly from a gameplay mechanics perspective, is considered the absolute apex of the series, but my interest in the series takes a sudden nosedive once the horror element becomes a little less pronounced with RE4 and beyond.

Luigi, KaijuDude1992 and Iceman like this.
  13. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Same here. 2 is my favourite game of the lot. I’m happy for the action and camera to take a step forward but the horror element is very important.

Also I remember on RE4 dying to the first zombie in the game. :hehe:

KaijuDude1992 and Bruce Wayne like this.
  14. Marvolo Registered

Sounds like Netflix had 2 spec scripts, one a young adult thriller mystery and the other a walking dead type show, but couldn't decide which to go with so they used both. Trying to have their cake and **** it too.

Resident Evil would make a good anthology series. Use Umbrella Corp as the antagonistic link between seasons with some recurring characters. Introduce a new set of protagonists/victims in a new story and setting each season. And each season could deal with some new horror Umbrella has cooked up.

15. Fincher Coming Undone

Del Toro would be a good choice, too. I haven't seen A Cure for Wellness, but from images it does really deliver on the atmosphere.

(Regarding gameplay, I don't consider action inherently better than adventure, and I prefer the N64 version of RE2 with its analog controls to RE4 with its still pretty clunky controls for an action game. Resident Evil 4 was good, though, particularly when there were regenerators and when I got to play as Ada.)

Luigi and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  16. Luigi Futurism

Looks like they're coming out with a CG series as well.

Erik20 and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  17. KaijuDude1992 Registered

I am so down for this and this CG series has so much potential. I've enjoyed all the animated RE movies so far and I bet just like with the live action movies this series is going to be much better than that live action series.

Luigi likes this.
  18. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

My issue with this show isn't that it doesn't follow a specific game. That was never likely to happen, and honestly is probably not the best idea anyway. However, rather than exploiting the rather extended mythos, to tell a Resident Evil-type story in the Resident Evil world? They do. . . generic civilization collapse zombie apocalypse. Which has not only been done to death, but is pretty explicitly *not* part of the games. Why do a video game adaptation when the first thing you do is throw away probably the most important thing that distinguishes it from the rest of the genre, that it is an ongoing, continuing world in which the world continues to turn and people continue to live, just with periodic outbreaks of zombie mutant crap?

The "they had two spec scripts" theory definitely sounds plausible.

Teelie, KaijuDude1992 and TheVileOne like this.
  19. Fincher Coming Undone

We're just at cross-purposes, then. The ongoing world with periodic outbreaks isn't what matters to me, and it didn't really become a thing until after the first few games. I do think that setting the story (partly) in a post-apocalyptic world is getting away from the games, but I prefer the former movies' approach to a full on spinoff because at least they did the mansion and Raccoon City, and at least they used the game characters in a mixed up sort of way. For me, if they did a spinoff they might as well just be doing an original property.

KaijuDude1992 and Bruce Wayne like this.
  20. psylockolussus Disco Mutant

The new animated film is the Third movie they are featuring Leon/Claire together.... they could use Jill to interact with those two. Leon and Claire together in a zombie outbreak has been done too many times in these animated flicks.

21. Bruce Wayne Let's get nuts!

I don't begrudge anyone for enjoying those animated films, but I personally don't see the appeal. I mean I might as well be watching one of those game cutaway scene compilations on YouTube.

22. psylockolussus Disco Mutant

The animated movies arejust extra content. I honestly don't remember any of the things that happened in those movies especially the new characters introduced were one and dones and never crossed over to the games.

23. TheVileOne Registered

There's a dozen ways they could do a series that are infinitely better than this stupid ALBERT WESKER'S DAUGHTERS IN THE APOCALYPSE premise BS.

And yeah the animated movies are just filler adventures. They aren't significant.

I recall in the last one, Los Illuminados is somehow back and it's basically an afterthought. It makes no sense. Leon killed Krauser, Saddler, Mendes, and Salazar. Who the frell is leading the cult now?

24. geetard Rebirth

25. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

Apologies for the bump as I know it's going to annoy given there's no news.

Just wanted to say I finally watched Resident Evil (the first film) and what were they thinking? A survival horror on a mansion estate doesn't seem like a hard thing to do, instead what we got is this piece of noisey and woefully executed piece of crap.

Iceman likes this.