The marvel fascinating character relationships thread

KangConquers

Purple Kang, Purple Kang
Reaction score
Relationship not taken in a romantic way. It can be a romantic relationship, a blood relationship, a partnership, a rivalry...what ever. Just list some marvel relationships that fascinate you and why.

Wolverine and Cyclops

I always loved the dynamic of this relationship; short, stubby, cigar smoking, ugly (pre-X-Men movie beautification anyway), assassin/ warrior who's the best at what he does...and the good looking, young, charismatic, leader who's orders he has to follow; both men have been in love with the same woman at various points of their partnership.

Yet there's a definite trust between the two characters that I always liked; For example, when Logan entrusted Scott with the one weapon that could end his life. I think there's definitely a respect and an intuitive trust that these two men have developed after years as battle commerades, despite their differences.

Doctor Doom and Kang:

This relationship is fascinating, in that it proved that Doom could never get along with himself. As a possible Descendant of the Doctor, Kang is quite similar in nature to his distant granpappy; brilliant, a fierce warrior, and though completely evil, he still mantains a sense of nobility. Kang in essence is Doctor Doom with more toys, and a bigger kingdom.

These two have teamed up numerous times, but their team up always ends in betrayal; Kang who's approximately a full generation older than Doom, sees his younger ancestor (Ouch...think about that one for a second) as too ambitious for his own good. Doctor Doom envies Kang for his technology, and the size of his empire (which contains the entire Milky Way.) Both men are too distrustful and spiteful to realize how similar they are.

Both men have tried to kill each other numerous times, Doom actually succeeding once with the aid of Ultron. Oddly enough, at that time, Doom still believed a lie that Kang force fed him years ago; that Kang was actually the man Doom grew into in his later years...this illustrated a glaring character flaw in Doom; impatience. He was willing to kill the man who he thought was his future self, just in order to obtain power faster.

The Black Knight and Sersi

They had some romantic overtones, but Dane was torn between her and Crystal. Then Proctor started messing with Sersi's mind and Ikaris created a gann'josin link--basically a joining of souls the Eternals do--between her and Dane to stabilize her. Instead, it just spread the creeping madness Proctor was inflicting on Sersi into Dane as well. Meanwhile, Dane was still developing feelings for Crystal. That all ended when Quicksilver returned and Crystal decided to try and make their marriage work for their daughter Luna's sake. Finally, Sersi killed Proctor, freeing herself and Dane from his influence, and then hopped over to another dimension. Dane, feeling guilty over Sersi's condition and rediscovering some of his old feelings for her, decides to follow her.

They wind up in the Ultraverse and Dane becomes leader of Ultraforce with no word from Sersi. Finally, they're reunited and Sersi tries to get them back to the 616 universe, but winds up shunting them back into the 12th century by accident. Then they make it back to the present, but their gann'josin is torn apart in the process. Dane joins the Heroes for Hire, Sersi shows up out of nowhere to ask for help with an Eternals crisis and is cold and distant to Dane, and then they just go their separate ways afterwards. Nothing further has been made of their relationship.

So not really fascinating anymore so much as just really weird.

While this is a great concept for a thread I expect it will be closed down.

I always thought the Vision/Scarlet Witch/ Wonderman triangle was interesting...

I mean, here's this artificial being that is given the brain patterns of a guy who is supposed to be dead, but turns out to not be...are they "brothers", or what? Then both develop strong feelings for the same woman, who turns out to be emotionally unstable as hell, and the two come to blows on two seperate occasions over it...things got further complicated when Vision was taken apart by the government, and when the Avengers try and put him back together and ask Wonderman for his brain patterns he's like "**** off!", and realy, can you blame him?

Trust me; that's the abridged version. It got even crazier then THAT! :wow:

I always thought the Vision/Scarlet Witch/ Wonderman triangle was interesting...

I mean, here's this artificial being that is given the brain patterns of a guy who is supposed to be dead, but turns out to not be...are they "brothers", or what? Then both develop strong feelings for the same woman, who turns out to be emotionally unstable as hell, and the two come to blows on two seperate occasions over it...things got further complicated when Vision was taken apart by the government, and when the Avengers try and put him back together and ask Wonderman for his brain patterns he's like "**** off!", and realy, can you blame him?

Trust me; that's the abridged version. It got even crazier then THAT! :wow:

It gets much more complex due to the Ultron connection.

Does anyone have that Marvel family tree thing? lol

Spider-man and Human Torch

In the beginning these two fellas hated each other but now they are best buds!

The Black Knight and Sersi

They had some romantic overtones, but Dane was torn between her and Crystal. Then Proctor started messing with Sersi's mind and Ikaris created a gann'josin link--basically a joining of souls the Eternals do--between her and Dane to stabilize her. Instead, it just spread the creeping madness Proctor was inflicting on Sersi into Dane as well. Meanwhile, Dane was still developing feelings for Crystal. That all ended when Quicksilver returned and Crystal decided to try and make their marriage work for their daughter Luna's sake. Finally, Sersi killed Proctor, freeing herself and Dane from his influence, and then hopped over to another dimension. Dane, feeling guilty over Sersi's condition and rediscovering some of his old feelings for her, decides to follow her.

They wind up in the Ultraverse and Dane becomes leader of Ultraforce with no word from Sersi. Finally, they're reunited and Sersi tries to get them back to the 616 universe, but winds up shunting them back into the 12th century by accident. Then they make it back to the present, but their gann'josin is torn apart in the process. Dane joins the Heroes for Hire, Sersi shows up out of nowhere to ask for help with an Eternals crisis and is cold and distant to Dane, and then they just go their separate ways afterwards. Nothing further has been made of their relationship.

So not really fascinating anymore so much as just really weird.

On a related tangent, Proctor has got to be the pettiest villain I can think of. His deal is that in an alternate reality, he was rejected by Sersi, so he LITERALLY went around from one alternate reality from the next killing off Sersi's. Think about it; imagine a man dumped by his ex, and then not only does he declare vengeance on her, but he goes to alternate universes and kills his ex in all of those, too. That's, like, SUPERDICKERY. Not even Dr. Doom is that petty, and he once unleashed most of the planet's super-criminals on Reed just to screw with his wedding.

Of course, when he got to 616, Sersi wasted him with his own Ebony Blade. PWNED!

Yeah, Proctor had a very petty motivation. He certainly got results, though. It's implied that he killed lots of alternate Sersis, and his Gatherers were a pretty impressive set of replaceable ex-Avengers.

Yeah, Proctor had a very petty motivation. He certainly got results, though. It's implied that he killed lots of alternate Sersis, and his Gatherers were a pretty impressive set of replaceable ex-Avengers.

I never said he wasn't efficient or potent. Just really, really petty.

It isn't as bad as Lex "You Made me BALD!" Luthor from the old days, but in many ways surpasses it. Luthor never went around killing Supermen from other realities.

Proctor's the Worst Ex Boyfriend, ever.

The Wolverine/Phoenix and Spider-Man/Black Cat relationships are interesting to me.

I've always hated the Wolverine/Jean relationship. She chose Cyclops. Move on, you hairy little stalker.

I've always hated the Wolverine/Jean relationship. She chose Cyclops. Move on, you hairy little stalker.

We all know Wolvie was nothing more than her man on the side. That's the classic "*******" vs. "Nice Guy" rivalry. Of course, I think Scott's the ******* now, but hey...

I think that's the interesting part of their relationship. For the most parts, Logan has moved on. He has had other relationships and at least one other great love (Mariko). Occational moments of weakness aside, Logan and Jean have managed to have a close and mature friendship despite their attraction for each other. So while I find the idea of an actual romantic Wolvie/Jean relationship boring, I quite like them as friends who know they might have been more under different circumstances.

I always liked the hinted Wolverine/Storm over Wolverine/Jean. Kitty Pride/Spider-man made an interesting pair in Ultimates. I wouldn't even mind if it stayed that way in ULTIMATES. Though we all know what's going down in 616.

Spider-man/Wolverine was one of my favorites though. Complete battle of the rivals who still sorta respect each other there, much like Yugi/Kaiba, Goku/Vegeta, Raph/Leo, ect.

The Summers.

The family that spent most of their lives seperate from eachother and then angsts about why they arn't a real family.:oldrazz:

I mean they are practicly strangers and yet they carry around all this baggage.

That probably has a little to do with Apocalypse and Sinister's hard-on for their genome, but you're right, they pretty much rewrite the meaning of "dysfunctional family." :)

Nightcrawler and Wolverine used to have a good friendship. (Well, they still might, but you just don't see it in the comics anymore.) I liked it when they hung out together.

Last time they referenced that was when Wolverine went crazy, killed a bunch of dudes, and then basically confessed to Kurt over beer. That was a good issue, but it was written by Greg Rucka, so that goes without saying.

I never said he wasn't efficient or potent. Just really, really petty.

It isn't as bad as Lex "You Made me BALD!" Luthor from the old days, but in many ways surpasses it. Luthor never went around killing Supermen from other realities.

No, that was Gog's job ;)

Charles Xavier and Eric Magnus Lensher: Both having the same goal "a world safe for mutants" but having radically different ideas on how to archive that. Their quest has had them at times best of friends, and other bitterest of enemies, and written well, they are believable as both.

I always wanted to write something where a villain and a hero who are not connected in any way are buddies....

Like say Shocker's best freind was Angel.....or soemone.....The one guy is a street level Thug and the the other saves the world and the universe and stuff.......I always thought that would be cool......

On a similar note I liked the releationship that Dan Slott had set up with Constrictor and Hercules...and then Nighthawk......

For those that didn't read She Hulk and The Thing, basically Constrictor was being a bad guy doing bad things, Herc came along and beat the piss out of him, Constrictor then sued hercules and won a crap load of money. Herc then had to work for Damage Control.

Constrictor was now exremely wealthy and didn'tg need to be a ciminal anymore....he was hanging out with Nighthawk (Of the Defenders) and contemplated becoming a hero (Seen now in Slott's The Initiative) anyway, Constrictor was invited to The Thing's hero poker party, Constrictor and Herc were placing very large side bets on most of thier hands and in the end Hercules won a lot of his money back from Constrictor.......Great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"