2009, a year in retrospective

Isildur´s Heir

Avenger
Reaction score
Anyone might say that it´s still too early, there are still two months to go, and it´s true, but, of the games going to come out in the next months, we already know that they are going to be amazing, so, nothing changes.
The only question we can´t answer is, what game is GOTY, as there are 4 main contenders, imo: Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2, Assassin´s Creed 2 and Dragon Age.

Since 2007, each year that goes by is a great year to be a gamer, as the quality increases like never before.
2007 was extraordinary; 2008 was amazing...so, how does 2009 stand in comparison?
And who had the best games?
PS3, 360, Wii, PC....?
IMO, it was the year of the PS3, it was to Sony what 2007 was for the Xbox 360, simply superb.

Here are some of the games that were released this year:

Skate 2 (PS3, 360)
The House of the Dead (Wii)
F.E.A.R. 2 (360, PS3, PC)
Street Fighter IV (360, PS3, PC)
GTA IV: The Lost and the Damned (360)
Warhammer 40.000 II (PC)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope (360)
Killzone 2 (PS3)
Halo Wars (360)
Tomb Raider: Underworld (PS3, 360, PC)
Empire: Total War (PC)
MadWorld (Wii)
Resident Evil 5 (360, PS3, PC)
GTA: Chinatown Wars (DS, PSP)
The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena (PS3, 360, PC)
Infamous (PS3)
Prototype (360, PS3, PC)
Ghostbusters (360, PS3, PC)
Shadow Complex (360)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3, 360, PC)
The Beatles: Rock Band (360, PS3, Wii)
Halo 3: ODST (360)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3)
Demon´s Soul (PS3)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
Brutal Legend (360, PS3)
Borderlands (360, PS3, PC)
Tekken 6 (360, PS3)
Forza 3 (360)
GTA 4: The Ballad of Gay Tony (360)
Dragon Age: Origins (PS3, 360, PC)
Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier (PSP, PS2)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (360, PS3, PC)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Assassin´s Creed 2 (360, PS3, PC)
Left 4 Dead 2 (360, PC)
The Saboteur (360, PS3, PC)

Among Thieves, best game of the gen, best game of the year, best game the last 25 years. Period.

With that said tho, this thread is still too early. I say pause this thread and reopen it at the end of December.

Well, not sure how I would actually rate 2009 compared to 2007/2008, but I do think I've purchased more titles this year than those two. Lots of good titles came out this year that I enjoyed. I agree, I think Sony's side was pretty good this year as far as exclusives. I bought InFamous, Uncharted 2, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and enjoyed them all quite a bit. Also played KZ2, which was pretty good. Plan to pick up A Crack In Time later this month.

It was good to see some really good licensed titles with Ghostbusters and Arkham Asylum. Both of those were great. Shadow Complex and 'Spolsion Man were excellent XBLA titles, and nice to see an online return of MVC2. Looks like MADWORLD and Muramasa will be up there for overlooked games this year, too.

Only disappointment I think I had was RE5. It wasn't bad or anything, but just failed to live up to my expectations. It was still pretty solid.

As far as my GOTY, I'll say it is a little too early. With Dragon Age coming out next week I'm really keeping my option open with that. Though, for right now, I will say that I would consider Street Fighter IV GOTY for 2009.

I didn´t bought many games this year, only Halo Wars, Halo 3: ODST, Shadow Complex and X-Men: Wolverine.
I´ll try to get Dragon Age and Assassin´s Creed 2 as soon as they come.
There a lot of games that came out this year, that i´ll try to get next year.

Microsoft had a really crappy year.
It rocked as it comes to downloadables (XBLA and GTA IV episodes), but sucked in retail games, with only Forza 3 as the really AAA game to show for (the Halo games were not really AAA, sure they were great, but one was a CONSOLE RTS and the other and expansion).

Don't steal my thread from me weeks away from when I planned to make it!

Haha. I know what you mean. I've already got my 2009 Game of the Year thread ready to go. :oldrazz:

The only 2009-released games I've played at this point are The House of the Dead: Overkill, Street Fighter IV, Punch-Out, Guitar Hero 5, Guitar Hero Van Halen (that came with 5), and a little bit of Resident Evil 5. The only ones I'm that likely to play before the year ends are New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Tekken 6, and maybe DJ Hero. For awhile, I thought SFIV would be the game of the year, but I could easily see NSMB being better.

Yeah, I don't play new games in a very timely manner.

In comparison to the previous years of 2007 and 2008, 2009 wins the title of best year in gaming.
It´s close, but the ranking goes: 2009, 2007, 2008.

Of course, 2010 will win, hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"