2009 NFL Draft Thread (aka Excel & Norman's personal b**ch and moan thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Kiper say Leaf was better than Manning?

:thing: :doom: :thing:

No.

At 6'0" 235, Levy is the same size as Ray Lewis when he was drafted out Miami. He'll put on the necessary mass to play in the middle.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/topic/bal-3ravens1996,0,1369034.story

Levy is 6'2 235. Dizon is 6'0 230.

Levy certainly has the ability to add extra bulk (his frame gives him more flexibility than Dizon in that area), but that doesn't change the fact that the guy's most highly coveted skill was his ability to rush the passer from a variety of positions.

I think the Eagles draft is vastly overrated. Getting Peters is great - but that's replacing talent with talent. LeShaun McCoy is a great value - but that's just replacing talent with talent (Westbrook for McCoy). Maclin doesn't help this team nearly as much as Boldin would and Ingram is a project TE.

The biggest problem the Eagles had last year was short yardage situations...so of course they add a finesse back and a non blocking TE.

The Eagles would have been better served to take Pettigrew over Maclin.

Eagles added Weaver for the purpose of short yardage. McCoy will be able to spell Westbrook, and is a good receiving threat out of the backfield. As it stands in terms of O Line, they are much better off today then they were last season. Both Runyan and Thomas battled injuries all year and there play suffered. in terms of Ingram, I don't think anyone plans on seeing that guy contribute right away, but many thought he was a first round talent before he was injured. That was a move more for down the road, plus they seem to love Celek. They'd be interested in adding a blocking TE, but not at the expense of the 21st pick.

Ah. I got the skinny now.

In 1998 Kiper said that Washington State Quarterback Ryan Leaf's "attitude" (which had rubbed teammates and coaches the wrong way in college) would be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over Peyton Manning. Kiper also said that Leaf had the better natural physical tools and would be a great quarterback, though he still rated Manning as the more polished and better overall prospect. Leaf was chosen second overall by the San Diego Chargers immediately after Manning. Leaf's career soon imploded, largely because of a confrontational attitude and poor practice habits that alienated teammates, coaches, and fans. He is now regarded as not only the worst bust in NFL draft history, but also possibly the biggest bust in all of professional sports.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Leaf's career soon imploded, largely because of a confrontational attitude and poor practice habits that alienated teammates, coaches, and fans.

Indeed, I've always said Leaf's biggest problem was his attitude.

Ah. I got the skinny now.

In 1998 Kiper said that Washington State Quarterback Ryan Leaf's "attitude" (which had rubbed teammates and coaches the wrong way in college) would be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over Peyton Manning. Kiper also said that Leaf had the better natural physical tools and would be a great quarterback, though he still rated Manning as the more polished and better overall prospect. Leaf was chosen second overall by the San Diego Chargers immediately after Manning. Leaf's career soon imploded, largely because of a confrontational attitude and poor practice habits that alienated teammates, coaches, and fans. He is now regarded as not only the worst bust in NFL draft history, but also possibly the biggest bust in all of professional sports.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Ryan Leaf's "bust" is vastly overrated.

Not when I have spent a good deal of time evaluating this draft. I can tell you plenty about names like Zack Follett (7th round player), Chris Baker (not drafted), Robert Francois (not drafted), etc. When I look at the players the Cowboys drafted, I see a LOT of projects and I don't see anyone that can help the team in 2009.

Glad to know you were out there scouting all these guys Norm.

I think the Eagles draft is vastly overrated. Getting Peters is great - but that's replacing talent with talent. LeShaun McCoy is a great value - but that's just replacing talent with talent (Westbrook for McCoy). Maclin doesn't help this team nearly as much as Boldin would and Ingram is a project TE.

The biggest problem the Eagles had last year was short yardage situations...so of course they add a finesse back and a non blocking TE.

The Eagles would have been better served to take Pettigrew over Maclin.

I would tend to agree. When I saw that they traded up to 19, I was sure it was to get Pettigrew in front of the Lions (and so did Jim Schwartz evidently as he almost threw a chair through a wall when the Eagles jumped them). When they announced Maclin, I was a bit confused. He's not a possession receiver, plays effectively the same game as DeSean Jackson, and neither Cleveland at 19 or Detroit at 20 would've taken Maclin anyway, so what was the point of trading up to get a guy who would've fallen to 21 anyway? Maybe he thought Millen was still running our drafts?

Pettigrew would've been ideal for the Eagles since he can block like a madman (watch the Youtube vid of him destroying Orakpo in the Texas game) and he's a huge target at 6'5" with great hands for short yardage and goal line situations. but hey, I'm not complaining. I'm ecstatic to have him. We havent had a decent TE since David Sloan.

Last edited:
Actually The Giants wanted Maclin and comtemplated trading up for him. There was another team as well according to the article I read yesterday. Like The Eagles, The Giants had Maclin as the top WR. The Eagles strictly went BPA. Pettigrew would have been a nice pick, but The Eagles (at least it seemed) didn't want to waste a 1st on a guy they would ask to block a majority of the time. The team is high on Brent Celek. One blog I read had The Eagles trading back had they lost out on Maclin and looking at Brown. There initial target was Moreno, but once he went early everything was shook up.

Mayock, who I regard as the best in the business even said are draft was very good. That's all I need.

And here you go.

Jeremy Maclin-WR-Eagles Apr. 29 - 9:51 am et

The Giants reportedly had a deal worked out with the Lions that would have allowed them to move up to the 20th pick to select WR Jeremy Maclin.

The details of the potential trade aren't known, but it likely involved the No. 29 pick and an addition early-round selection. The deal was contingent on Maclin being available at No. 20, and was foiled when the Eagles traded up one slot ahead to grab him.

Last edited:
Add into the fact that the way the Browns were trading down, someone would have tried to trade up to get Maclin. Maclin may not be the ideal receiver for Philly, but he, Jackson, Westbrook and McCoy are far more than what McNabb got to the Super Bowl with. If their defense holds, the Skins and Cowboys don't stand a chance against Philly and the Giants.

If I was the Eagles I'd be more concerned about the loss of Dawkins and Sheppard in the secondary, than giving more toys for Mcnabb to hit in the feet with passes.

Sheppard barely played last season. They added Ellis Hobbs in a trade as plus they hav Hanson. They have a very good secondary.

Falcons picked up John Parker Wilson :whatever:

Guess we needed an extra hand on the practice squad.

If I was the Eagles I'd be more concerned about the loss of Dawkins and Sheppard in the secondary, than giving more toys for Mcnabb to hit in the feet with passes.

Oh, no doubt that Philly's defense is going to suffer this year. They are a great team defense without many big name stars besides Samuel, but the loss of Dawkins is going to effect them more than just his playing ability. At the same time though, Philly needs to compete with Arizona's offense in the NFC, and that's what they've accomplished with this draft.

Glad to know you were out there scouting all these guys Norm.

Now you know.

I would tend to agree. When I saw that they traded up to 19, I was sure it was to get Pettigrew in front of the Lions (and so did Jim Schwartz evidently as he almost threw a chair through a wall when the Eagles jumped them). When they announced Maclin, I was a bit confused. He's not a possession receiver, plays effectively the same game as DeSean Jackson, and neither Cleveland at 19 or Detroit at 20 would've taken Maclin anyway, so what was the point of trading up to get a guy who would've fallen to 21 anyway? Maybe he thought Millen was still running our drafts?

Apparently the Eagles received a call from a team asking to trade up to 21. This spooked them (thinking the team calling was targeting Maclin) and so they decided throwing away a 6th round pick was worth the insurance. Now how much Maclin helps them is a separate question, but I can understand the trade.

Pettigrew would've been ideal for the Eagles since he can block like a madman (watch the Youtube vid of him destroying Orakpo in the Texas game) and he's a huge target at 6'5" with great hands for short yardage and goal line situations. but hey, I'm not complaining. I'm ecstatic to have him. We havent had a decent TE since David Sloan.

Any player the Lions can add that helps Smith, Johnson and Stafford is a winner.

Actually The Giants wanted Maclin and comtemplated trading up for him.

Correct. Maclin would of made more sense in New York though, since they don't have Jackson.

There was another team as well according to the article I read yesterday. Like The Eagles, The Giants had Maclin as the top WR. The Eagles strictly went BPA. Pettigrew would have been a nice pick, but The Eagles (at least it seemed) didn't want to waste a 1st on a guy they would ask to block a majority of the time. The team is high on Brent Celek. One blog I read had The Eagles trading back had they lost out on Maclin and looking at Brown. There initial target was Moreno, but once he went early everything was shook up.

I wish I could have been in Philadelphia's war room after Denver picked Moreno.

I wish I could have been in Philadelphia's war room after Denver picked Moreno.

Oh come on, Oakland's would have been pure comedic gold to sit in on and watch, unless of course your head is prone to exploding from excessive lack of logical thought process.

Al Davis tells his staff to purposely screw up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"