360 or a Wii?

TheGrayGhost said:
Those are games that you might find appealing, but hard for me to take seriously. I respect that you enjoy them, but I'm sure you can understand that I find it ridiculous that the Xbox brand's premier title is a boring, linear FPS with more emphasis on multiplayer than single-player AND has been outranked as an FPS by both Metroid Prime and Goldeneye, both Nintendo titles. Meanwhile, The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario, Nintendo's two premier franchises, have graced gamers with several games that have been recognized as the best of all time, each installment carrying on a tradition of excellence. I don't even think it's disputable: Nintendo's best wipes the floor with what any other developer has to offer.

This, I absolutely agree with. I could never see the big deal about Halo. Sure, the multiplayer is fun... but no more so than alot of multiplayer games. I seriously don't understand the huge success of Halo. And yes, Nintendo know how to make great games.

I admit that I haven't played a Final Fantasy game in a long time, but it is my understanding that they've ****ed out the series, each installment losing what made the series great in previous games. And I've never played DMC, so I really can't comment much.

I'm not greatly interested in Final Fantasy anymore myself. And Devil May Cry is fun for only a short while. It's all about combos and cool effects. It gets boring quick.

Even if that were true (which it may be), you have to admit that it costs much more to produce a game for the 360, thereby lessening profit return for the developers. Cheaper development on the Wii could be a serious incentive.

Ah, but don't you see? Ultimately, the 360 is the more powerful console. If a company is going to pump money and hard work into a 360 game... it's going to be great. The 360 has more potential in pure power. Bigger environments. Better physics. More interactivity. Better atmosphere. Better online play. It is NOT simply about prettier looking games.

Yeah, pretty much. Which is why owning a 360 or a PS3 is even more of a gamble for me... I don't know if these third parties will be able to acheive the level of excellence I've come to expect from Nintendo. I'm not saying it's completely out of the realm of possibility, but I think it'd be pretty hard for a third party developer. Lately, I've been trying to reach out and broaden my horizons, but my latest third party outings (Gears of War, Red Steel, COD3 360, Sonic, Halo 2) were, overall, pretty mediocre for me.

You bought games that were clearly going to suck. Red Steel looks horrid to me and I won't buy it if I get a Wii. Sonic games have sucked ever since they came into 3D and that won't change. I never got the big deal about Halo. Though, I played Gears Of War at a friends' house and thought it was alot of fun. I hear it's a short game though.

Yes, Nintendo tends to be hush hush about their upcoming games, but from what I've been reading about Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3, I think Wii will be home to many games that will become cherished classics. TP is already such a game. I don't think Gears of War or even Halo 3 will/can have claim to that. Which isn't necessarily bad, but if the best Xbox 360 can do is GoW and Halo 3 type games, I'd rather not be a part of it. But that's just me, obviously.

Tying this with the original post, I think it really depends on your taste in video games. I like my Shigeru Miyamoto masterpieces.

Zelda. Metroid. Mario. Again and again and again. I love Zelda, don't get me wrong. And I love Metroid. The new Mario game, I can do without, it doesn't look that engaging to me, it looks too simple. I don't even think I'd get the new Metroid game - it looks way too similar to the other Prime games. I want to play NEW games. I feel the new Zelda offers enough new variety to make it special.

So, you see my problem.

Upcoming games on the 360...

Mass Effect
Bioshock
Assassin's Creed
Alan Wake

NEW games. Each one of those, practically gauranteed to push game making further than what we've seen before.

Upcoming games on the Wii...

Nada, nothing, zilcho word on upcoming games. Well, there is that game Sadness but there hasn't been any news on that in awhile. Right now, 360 has the better selection of games.

I think I'll buy a 360. The Wii just doesn't have the games right now. I think people are kidding themselves with games like Excite Truck, which will be forgotten about in a years time.

When... or if... the Wii has the games, then I'll buy it.

The Wii is also getting REWii, Sadness, Disaster: Day of crisis, PoP Wii, etc.

Spidey-Bat said:
Other than CoD3, those games suck. And I wouldn't even go by GameRankings' scores. They just take reviews from everything and average it. Half the time they take reviews from sources you've never heard of or just flat out suck.

I don't give a **** about what game you think does or does not suck. My post was in direct response to TheGrayGhost's point about the Wii getting the best, most-favored-by-reviewers multiplatform games, when in fact, it's quite the opposite. Wii versions of multiplatform games have been by far the worst-reviewed of the bunch. Even Xbox and PS2 versions of said games have gotten higher ratings. It's downright pitiful.

Take off your Nintendunce cap for a second and try to read my posts objectively for a change. You'll be less defensive in your replies that way.

Yay, the Fenrir that isn't afraid of getting banned is back :o:up:

XwolverineX said:

After playing it for a few weeks, I've realized it's pretty much a kids' system.

My boss is offering good money, so that's a plus :up:

XwolverineX said:

ReWii would be extremely cool if they get it right, yeah. Sadness SOUNDS interesting, but there hasn't been very much info released on it. If you know of any pics, clips, or trailers please feel free to share. Same thing with Disaster: Day of Crisis. I can't seem to find much on it. Again, same thing with PoP Wii (Prince of Persia) - no info or clips.

I'm looking forward to disaster: day of crisis. It looks pretty cool.

I've got a 360 and am very happy with it, the graphics are great, the games are fun, but at the same time they're all pretty short 8-14 hours on all the games I have (with the exception of Obilivion). While Nintendo's big launch title Zelda, I've heard that 40-50 hours to play through, which is much more appealing. Paying $60 for a short game sucks. I'll most likely pick up the 360 versions of any multiplatfom games though, unless I hear the developers used the contollers in an real innovative way.

XwolverineX said:

that does'nt mean diddley scquat tho. x box 360 is getting RE5 ,assasains creed ,and when the sequel to POP comes it out the 360 will get it also. and im pretty sure you can find a game like sadness on the 360 either now or later. who knows. thing is wii won't have anything that the 360 does'nt have.

To each his own.

I am really enjoying the Wii so far, plus the VC makes it awsome to have.

Eventually I'll get a PS3, once the price drops and bugs are worked out.

Brainiac 8 said:
To each his own.

I am really enjoying the Wii so far, plus the VC makes it awsome to have.

Eventually I'll get a PS3, once the price drops and bugs are worked out.

A PS3? Why? The 360 is clearly the better console. What used to be exclusive games are going over to 360. Heck, even the new MGS could be released on the 360. The PS3 is overpriced, and will probably always be overpriced while it's on the market. And like you said, it's got bugs. From what I hear, the 360 is alot more user friendly.

GoldenAgeHero said:
that does'nt mean diddley scquat tho. x box 360 is getting RE5 ,assasains creed ,and when the sequel to POP comes it out the 360 will get it also. and im pretty sure you can find a game like sadness on the 360 either now or later. who knows. thing is wii won't have anything that the 360 does'nt have.

The PoP for the Wii is exclusive. The 360 will not get it.

And to your last comment, you're wrong.

Spidey-Bat said:

And to your last comment, you're wrong.

Is PoP for the Wii pretty much a remake?

Fenrir said:
I don't give a **** about what game you think does or does not suck. My post was in direct response to TheGrayGhost's point about the Wii getting the best, most-favored-by-reviewers multiplatform games, when in fact, it's quite the opposite. Wii versions of multiplatform games have been by far the worst-reviewed of the bunch. Even Xbox and PS2 versions of said games have gotten higher ratings. It's downright pitiful.

Take off your Nintendunce cap for a second and try to read my posts objectively for a change. You'll be less defensive in your replies that way.

Even still, it is not a significant difference in the scores. The DBZ game is only a fraction better reviewed than the Wii version.

Spidey-Bat said:
Even still, it is not a significant difference in the scores. The DBZ game is only a fraction better reviewed than the Wii version.

Moreover, the numbers themselves don't tell the whole story. I've read many unfavorable reviews for these games and the reviews, though critical of the game, prefer it on the Wii. Madden and COD3 are prime examples. Although I must admit, I couldn't care less about either game.

TheGrayGhost said:
Moreover, the numbers themselves don't tell the whole story. I've read many unfavorable reviews for these games and the reviews, though critical of the game, prefer it on the Wii. Madden and COD3 are prime examples. Although I must admit, I couldn't care less about either game.

Madden is the only game that got a good score on the Wii. As for the rest, can you please point out one single review from a major gaming website or publication (which is not a dumbass source like "Nintendo Power" or any of that crap) that outright states they prefer the Wii version of Call of Duty 3 to that of the 360 or any other platform? Not only does the Wii version have occassionally unwieldly controls, but it also has severely downgraded visuals and worst of all, the total and unforgivable lack of a multiplayer mode. :down:

Spidey-Bat said:

What's shameful is that a PS2 version of the game got better reviews than it's Wii cousin, especially when viewed in light of TheGrayGhost's comments about reviewers preferring the Wii. :whatever:

Spidey-Bat said:

What is this? A third party exclusive for Nintendo? Really?

*flashbacks of Resident Evil 4 and Killer 7*

This is freakin' Ubisoft we're talking about here, bub.

Fenrir said:
What is this? A third party exclusive for Nintendo? Really?

*flashbacks of Resident Evil 4 and Killer 7*

This is freakin' Ubisoft we're talking about here, bub.
Those are Capcom games and they completely ****ed over Nintendo. RE4 and Viewtiful Joe were all meant to be GC exclusives. Then Capcom didn't like the sale numbers and claimed it was their intention all along to release them on both.

As of now, the PoP Wii game will be a Wii exclusive.

Get a Wii if u wanna play more "kiddish" games. and 360 if u wanna play bad ass games

batman7289 said:
Get a Wii if u wanna play more "kiddish" games. and 360 if u wanna play bad ass games

I guess it's not just the "Ledger is Joker" thing that makes you an idiot.

batman7289 said:

And you call yourself a Batman fan...:whatever:

While Batman wouldn't play video games himself, I think he'd prefer the innovative philosophy behind the Wii. Robin would go with Wii.

Using ficticious characters to sell the Wii could work, instead of those demo movies they showed where they showed a guy playing a cooking game or a fishing game

How awesome would it be if you could fish AND cook in the same game. You catch a fish and then cook it! :eek:

jaydawg said:
Eh it just comes down to what you like. I've thought of getting a 360, but aside from Lost Planet and maybe Dead Rising, there isn't anything I'd actually want from there. I have the wii now and it does kick ass.

I'm gonna get a 360 for Bioshock alone. Gears of War is amazing. You can call it just another FPS, but the way you move from cover to cover, the active reload, the weapons themselves (the Hammer of Dawn is one of the greates weapons in any game), the production design from the world to the over the shoulder camera, all of it comes together to create a brilliant experience. Assasin's Creed looks incredible, and I need to play Resident Evil 5.

That said, I bought a Wii first. Twilight Princess is a must play. Red Steel has a lot of problems (multiplayer is abysmall) but playing it just a bit showed potential and the Wii could work wonders for future FPS games. Wii sports lacks a lot of depth but it's a great game. Monkey Ball is rules and the darts minigame is worth the price alone. The Wii is hands down the best system for sports games, though I'm not a big fan of the genre. I'm psyched for REWii, No More Heroes, MPC, Mario Galaxy, Elebits, Sims Wii, SSX Blur, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Bleach, PoPWii, Orb, and of course SSBB. I'm hoping Fire Emblem will be good (I really want to see them impliment the Wiimote for it since the game seems almost all point and click and there is no need for the classic controller) and I really want Sadness to be amazing (it looks has the potential to be a brilliant survival horror game that plays with a lot of fears wrapped around cultural taboos, but we haven't heard anything in forever and Nibris is resistant to releasing any information to change to that). It may not have the graphics capability of the competition, but it's better than the Gamecube, and the Gamecube had RE4 and those graphics are more than enough for me. It's a great console and the Wiimote is my favorite controller yet made.

However, there are certain games that the Wii cannot run just as their are games that could only run on it. It also lacks RPG's at this point and while the VC is great, it's kind of hard for it to be a selling point when you could get some of the original cartriges in a used bin or a garage sale for less money (now if they start releasing more rare or previously unreleased games then that changes things). For me it came down to this: I didn't buy an Xbox when it came out because it was $300 for just the console, when I bought it, it was $300 for the console and two games. The price of the 360 Pro is still too much for me to feel okay about handing that much money over for just a console, I can wait for it to drop down in price a bit more before I buy it. People say the Wii is overpriced, but $250 is a reasonable price for a console (I really feel that if a console can't be released in that price range, then it's too early for it to be released) and the controller is worth that price in my opinion. They are both great consoles and if you can afford a 360 (if there's a good Holiday deal all the better), it does have the better library at this point. I've been excited for the Wii for a long time and with my finances the way they are, it was the better deal for me to get it first, but that's not going to be true for everyone. In the meantime, if you can find a Wiimote, you can always hook it up to your computer via Bluetooth and play Half Life 2 with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"