• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

5 page HULK comic

And if you keep drawing new sequentials for submission, that means you're getting more practice. (obvious, I know, lol)

Another thing to look for, as what I was told by Steve Skroce (I can't remember how to spell his last name) is to start timing yourself. Ideally, Marvel wants you to churn out a page in about 6-8 hours, for one page a day. That's actually why you see a lot of "simpler" artists out there working, it's because they can meet deadlines.

Another thing to look for, as what I was told by Steve Skroce (I can't remember how to spell his last name) is to start timing yourself. Ideally, Marvel wants you to churn out a page in about 6-8 hours, for one page a day.

Really??? I never heard that! Not asking to much over there are they?!
Are they offering minimum wage now??
Its a friggin 9 to 5 man!

Shuley pointed out the same thing,and I can see where your both coming from.Imagine12-I can also see what you intended,The POV is the Leaders and Hulk gets smaller the higher hes jumping.And it works for me,I dont think it needs to be "mirrored".But,You could have done a few things to convey that better.In the future something in the background would enhance that and give it the scale you were looking for.

I think the problem with those panels, is that the first panel on the page establishes hulk in the air. then it reads as if he's jumping, or getting higher (or it's backwards). Then the next time you see hulk, he's on the ground. o_O

Beautiful artwork bud. Great story.

That's what I was told. I specifically asked that question too because I always felt I was a sluggish illustrator. Collectively, I can do a page in about 8-9 hours, but that's over several days of picking it up, setting it down, picking it up again, lol. Now even less because I work full time (9-5!), lol. But yeah, that ideal time is expected for monthly books. Doesn't mean you won't get hired if you can't do work in that time though, it's just a big bonus, from what I understand.

Hey look, ya know you take some of my constructive critisim or leave it,you ask for opinions and I gave you mine,I'm only here to help.If your going to get bent out of shape about it,then how are you going to handle rejection from Marvel? If you hand this to Marvel,your not going to get a job.I know you don't wanna hear that.No, I'm not saying your horribly disfigured but yes,people in real life actually have features that don't line up and that's the differance between someone who is good looking and someone who isn't,for example..said person's nose leans tad to the left,while the good looking person's is perfectly straight,or thier eyes are lop sided (stallone) while a good looking person's eyes are perfectly even.You don't need perfect anatomy to get a drawing job,but you do need excellent storytelling skills.

I apologize if i came off angry lol. No i'm so used to pesemism coming at me from friends and family towards my wanting to work in comics so it's nothing new to be shot down. But it's all ive ever wanted to do and i will do it. The key to criticising someone's work is to balance the negative with positive helpful advice. And everyone you've done a great job. I swear my intent was not to make hulk into jason borne but i could think of worse comparisons lol. Panel 1 does need some rethinking though i agree, and probably some clarity on a couple transitions i didn't notice before. The resolution is so bad on these after i scan them i'll put them back up, i didn't use any shading other than solid black and line/crosshatching etc so although i intend to stretch the inkers thin, theirs lines for all to go around. They took about 8 hours a piece give or take so i could get a bit faster but i certainly don't want to be a brian hitch. A guys got buy some groceries!

I think the problem with those panels, is that the first panel on the page establishes hulk in the air. then it reads as if he's jumping, or getting higher (or it's backwards). Then the next time you see hulk, he's on the ground. o_O

Beautiful artwork bud. Great story.
I would agree that that's where the problem is falling. Panel 1 he's in the air and then he's flying away from leader.

Again I think your work is strong some of the storytelling just needs a bit of tweaking IMO.

Alot of artist work at home and do a page a day,weather it takes you 5 hours or 15 hours...you just need to do a 22 page book a month..still tough to do though.

Alot of artist work at home and do a page a day,weather it takes you 5 hours or 15 hours...you just need to do a 22 page book a month..still tough to do though.

That's basically how I figured it to be (5 hours? wow, that's speedy). It's a full time job.

page 2

DVC00035.jpg

the from behind shot is so beautiful!

Hey guys and gals, just thought i'd post this 5 page story which i'm sending to Marvel as an application to see what you all thought. Any comments would be helpful, thx!

DVC00034.jpg

Very, very very very impressive.

Very good! Keep up the great work and good luck!

I think you did a great job with the Hulk dude. You have some skillz.

Very nice work, I am definitely impressed. That being said, there are a few thing I might recommend.

Page 1:

All four of those images seem a bit redundant in there current order. I disagree with a few of the people on here as I wouldn't get rid of panel 1. While it doesn't really showcase you skill with detail, it is a good establishing/mysterious shot. I would, however, switch panels 2 and 3. In it's current order, it is kind of an awkward transition going from the small back shot of the Leader, then to a front medium shot with forced perspective, then to a back angled shot, then to a close up. It doesn't really flow to well, despite being beautiful to look at. Once your able to get the pages scanned, try swapping they're order, I think you'll like they way if flows.

Page 2:

I love the transition from page 1 to page 2. Going from the evil, psychotic look on the Leader's face to the calm, almost slightly bored look on the Hulks face. Good flow. And panel 2, awesome. The only thing I feel this page is missing is there seems to be a lack of reason for the Hulk to be turning to the side like he is in panel 3. It seems maybe there should be a partial shadow on his face, as the Leader's robot approaches, or some sort of sound effect to throw off the Hulks tranquil stare.

Page 3:

Freakin' beautiful. My only gripe is a minor one, but it's one that's already been mentioned. Hulks ears. While yes, rarely will you find a person with a completely symmetrical head, the ear's seem to be off just enough to be a little distracting. It's not just the alignment but also the size, his left hear seems a little larger as well. Of course, this is an easy fix for an inker to resolve, but can also be fixed once scanned too. Definitely doesn't seem like enough to keep you from getting a job though.

Page 4:

I agree with Mrh7448 on this. This panel needs something to break the two apart. It's confusing to the reader without it. It appears the Hulk and the leader are suddenly really close to each other when both the panel before and after show they are not. Also, it appears they are staring on a level surface. Again, a little confusing when we see the Hulk looking up both before and after this panel, and we can see the Leader would be looking down on the panel before. Otherwise, the pacing and action is very nice on this page. I really like the last panel. The look on the Leader's face is great, it's a little bit of that smug/scared look a villian gets on their face when the realize they've been beaten, but don't want to admit it.

Page 5:

While this is an awesome picture in panel 1, the transition from page 4 to page 5 seems a little weak. We can't really tell if the Hulk has thrown down the robot or if it just fallen over from having it's window smashed. Which leads to the problem I think a lot of people were running into with panels 2-4. While I can see what you were trying to establish with these panels (which I really like the view and flow of them), we see the Hulk jump to robot at the end of page 4, we then see the robot fall, but we already feel the Hulk's upward movement stopped once he hit the robot on page 4, and as it topples over in panel one, the viewer feels as if the Hulk should be moving downward as well. We have no panel that establishes the Hulk has made another jump to make him move upward and away from the Leader. The silhouette of the Hulk in the first panel could be changed to show he jumped off the falling robot or he threw the robot down and the downward throw allowed him to thrust himself in an upward fashion. Basically we need something to show the Hulk has reason to be moving upward and panels 2-4 would be just fine. I love the last 4 panels. We can tell the Hulk has come back down and I really like the look of fear on the Leader's face. My only complaint with them is the second to last panel. I appears, but is hard to tell, that the Hulk used some sort of Hulk breath, or possibly Hulk spit to do something to the Leader. I'm sure once these are scanned, it would be easier to tell.

Overall, the pages are awesome. I love the detail you put into each page and for the most part, the story telling is there, with maybe just a few little tweaks needed here and there. I will say that I have seen many other comics out there drawn by people with half your talent. And I'm not just talking about independent comics either. Some of the mainstream books have less talented people out there. So if they can make it, I see no reason you can't make it. It may take some persistence, but you'll get there.

A little bit of advice as well. Having talked to some people that have actually recently done work for Marvel and DC, they (not the big two, but the artist's themselves) recommend trying to get your own comic published. A lot of the newer talent they have recently picked up, they did so from smaller publishers and independent publishers. They have the money, and when they see talent they like, that's selling well, they'll use they're resources to basically steal you from the smaller company. Just some food for thought

Keep up the great work. Look forward to seeing some more in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"